DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tonyb is on a distinguished road
Default Aeromotive 340 #11142 fuel pump failure

Aeromotive 340 #11142 fuel pump failed just within a few weeks.

Must have gotten a bad one, but did a google search and found that some other people had issues with it as well...
Luckily didn't get stranded on the road - got home Thursday night and Friday morning the engine would crank but no start, checked fuses, relays, everything checked out but still no sound from fuel pump, no fuel pressure.

As some of you may know I had the transmission done by MGH and he re-routed the exhaust crossover to allow for deeper pan and I had him put the aeromotive 340 fuel pump in since he's got the lift, so I just want to say first of all he does top quality work.
But the most important he takes pride in and stands behind his work. I am still in disbelief, when I asked him if he still had my stock fuel pump assembly he offered to come and tow my truck to his place to swap out the pump. Now that you don't see everyday. Mike, thank you very, very much! You are the man!
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Mike's built an awesome reputation that's for sure. Hopefully it's something as simple as a connector came off, but the pump is just as likely. I went with the Walbro 400 because of some of the reviews I read on the Stealth 340
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

No connectors looked fine, it's the pump. By the way my stock fuel pump basket was different so ended up getting older style basket for the 340 pump.
The 340 pump was kind of acting up from the start, whenever I was parked on the incline i had to crank the engine longer to get it started even with a full tank of gas.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Brad (MGRAM) and I bought a pair of Stealth 340's from our CMR
but gave up on the install when we saw it was not a direct plug&play swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Fuel Pump upgrade plans on hold, the Aeromotive pump is NOT an option
..unless you are willing to do a lot of extra work apparently...

I uploaded his pics to my photobucket account:
Clearly not plug & play like we had hoped...

We payed $177 ea for them,
if anyone wants to try and make them work, we're willing to let them go for $150 ea
We both added water/meth kits to help us out at the top end (over 5600 rpm) where Brad's truck started to lean out on the dyno.
We're both going back soon, along with LT headers with no Cats, to see if that will be enough.

My Alcohol Injection System has a 250 psi pump set to spray a 60/40 Water/Meth mixture when boost hits 4psi-8psi (116+ Octane).
On my wideband I was seeing 10's for A/F ratio with shorties and stock cats at 5700 rpm so I think I'm good to go over 6k rpm and well over 500whp with W/M and catless long tube headers.

Brads run before Boost, Shorty Headers, stock cats.... A/F around 12.0

After Boost, shorty headers, stock cats, no water/meth...
leaning out after 5600 rpm with HP still climbing but our CMR cut the run short when he saw it leaning out.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 05-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

That's pretty good numbers, I only got 442hp and 453ft-lbs, I was told that it's because I have 3.92 rear end, apparently everything else being equal lower gears would show lower HP numbers on the dyno.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Mango Tango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
MeanMango2010 will become famous soon enough

BlackRamHemi the Aeromotive pump will fit in there but you gotta bend the pickup screen a bit and cram the sombitch in there! I called Mike freaking out cause it wouldn't slide in but he said just calm down it will fit rand it did. Only major issue I ran into was the connector going to the pump plugged right in but the factory plug was backwards from the aeromotive pump. Had to drop the tank and swap the terminals.

Have you got everything sorted out yet Tony? I'd like to go down to Cecil with a few Rams something in the near future if you're up to it. Maybe even get Mike to bring his down and blow us all away.
Vortec Supercharger, Upgraded Trans by MGH w/ Edge 2800 stall converter, Yukon DuraGrip LSD, ARH LongTube Headers, 18" Mufflex and QTP Cutout, AIS Water/Meth, 2/4" Ground Force, E-Fan w/ clutch fan delete, random orange and black paint.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

I wish I could get down there and line up with you guys!
if nothing else just to shake the hand of the Man that made it happen for so many of us.

I spoke with Mike at L&M again recently and every interaction I have with him
totally blows my mind how professional and personal he takes every single customer.

as far as the fuel pump goes,
Since adding my water/meth kit, I'm running mid 10's A/F ratio
so I don't feel the need for more fuel now.

Going for a dyno run as soon as I get my trans (with fresh OD frictions) installed
and the trans re-learn adjusted for a hundred miles or so.

Brad's (MGRAM) truck is almost done broke in (learn) now and just waiting on me before we book some dyno time.
He even threw a too rich code.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

MeanMango2010,
I'd love to go to Cecil and see what this truck could do.
But I do want to get Aeromotive replacement first and bring my stock fuel pump with me just in case if the 340 dies on me again for some reason.
What I noticed with the stock pump, when I am going uphill at about mid throttle and about 3 psi of boost the A/F gauge shows low 10's ratio. It was mid 11's ratio with 340 pump before it failed. I want to see what the new one does, I might have to go back to Josh to re-tune again.
Another weird part on the dyno it showed that the torque was higher than horsepower, it seems like it should be the other way around, at least that's what other vehicles show

BlackRamHemi,
It took my truck about 300 miles to break-in (learn) before it started shifting smoothly. It was OK from the start with exception of 1st-to-2nd shift, but after 4 days it was all good.

Last edited by tonyb; 05-07-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post

BlackRamHemi,
It took my truck about 300 miles to break-in (learn) before it started shifting smoothly. It was OK from the start with exception of 1st-to-2nd shift, but after 4 days it was all good.
Ya, I already ran my L&M trans for two weeks back in October, my only hard shift was 2-3 upshift.
It had totally relearned in that time (300 miles) but my OD frictions burned under boost because Mike had a scheduling conflict with Josh at HHP and I didn't get my trans tuning installed in time.

so I parked it for the Winter, just started the re-build last week

Since I'm just replacing my burned up OD clutch pack (thanks to Mike sending me new frictions on his dime)
It won't require a total re-learn again, just a 100 miles or so for the OD to adjust.

It's currently sitting on the bench,
and new Frictions just arrived from Mike yesterday by FedEx along with a new OD Shaft/Hub.