DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road
Default New 2013 Ram Braking Performance

I picked up a new 2013 QC Big Horn about a week ago and so far I love the truck. I switched from a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 and what a difference in torque between the two. All in all I am very happy with the new Ram with the exception of one area. My F-150 had much stronger brakes, or at least so it seems. With minimal pedal effort I could bring the F-150 to a screeching hault. The Ram seems like it needs a lot more pedal effort to get similar stopping power but I only have 500 miles on the truck so maybe they are not broken in yet.

Today I had Destination AT's installed and while watching the work get done, sized up the rotors and they do look a little on the small side. Of course with 20" wheels anything less than a 16" rotor will look small.

So is there a consensus in the Ram world that the brakes are plenty strong and I just need to get used to pedal actuation or have others felt this way as well? I don't want to shell out money right now for a big brake kit but it would be nice to know if I may be imagining this. I'll see if I can find a braking comparison test somewhere online.

The truck is pretty well loaded with options and I really like the Max-steel color. In the right light you can catch the blue but much of the time it is more of a dark metallic gray. The metallic paint is much more metallic than a pearl coat and I think that works great on dark colors like this. I'll get some pics with the Destination AT's (white letters out) after I wash the truck again. This is my first dark vehicle and I have new appreciation for keeping a dark color clean. I do enjoy washing/waxing so that is cool with me.

Thanks.

NC
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 AM

Sounds like everyone is pretty happy with braking on their 2013's?

NC
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

just have to get use to different feel.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM

That is what I figured.

NC
Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Beautiful truck....My dad works on the line at ford and I totally agree...It is a totally different feel...You will get use to it...I still take a ton of heat for buying a RAM but I have to tell you... I would buy another one again.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Rams Front discs are 13.2 x 1" and the F-150's are 13.78 x .55" -- The Fords are a bit larger (by about a 1/2inch), but also thinner.

Also, ford brake pads are are a different beast all together. I freaking HATE ford brake pads. My Wife has an Explorer now, and cannot wait to replace them. They squeal like a whore, and are completely unpredictable as they heat up/cool down. They remind me exactly of old mustang pads, and if you ask any Mustang guy what they replaced first, 75% will tell you the brake pads.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I read somewhere (Allpar?) that they had slightly changed the braking on the new rams to make them feel more responsive vs. the previous 4th gens, But here is what I can say from my experience driving my 2013 lone star vs my dad's '09 SLT (keep in mind he has about 50k more miles on his truck than I have on mine):

His seems to brake quicker, but the pedal must be pushed down farther for the truck to start braking. Mine starts to brake as soon as I hit the pedal but it doesn't brake as hard. I believe if you were to measure how far the pedals were depressed on each truck, the pedal on my truck would not have to be depressed as far to get the same amount of braking. In my opinion this makes his feel more responsive, but the '13 feels like it is more sensitive i.e. you have a bit more control over how much brake you apply. Like I said though, I'm not sure how much of this is due to my brakes not being quite broken in yet.

Beautiful truck btw. I really like the maximum steel, almost like a gunmetal color.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn w/8 spd
Color: White
Rep:23
macabra11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
Also, ford brake pads are are a different beast all together. I freaking HATE ford brake pads. My Wife has an Explorer now, and cannot wait to replace them. They squeal like a whore, and are completely unpredictable as they heat up/cool down. They remind me exactly of old mustang pads, and if you ask any Mustang guy what they replaced first, 75% will tell you the brake pads.
+1 I HATE Ford brakes. After 13 years of driving Fords, I seriously developed a flinch from their squealing brakes.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Pic with new tires please!? I work for Bridgestone btw. TONS of our employees run the Dueler tires on their trucks.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
Pic with new tires please!? I work for Bridgestone btw. TONS of our employees run the Dueler tires on their trucks.
I was waiting to wash it again but I'll go grab a quick photo. The edgy look of the Destination AT along with the white letters looks awesome in my book. I love this truck. Braking concerns are long gone.

Here are two hasty, contrasty images. I'll get better ones in a few days when I can wash it and take it somewhere other than my driveway.

NC

Last edited by NumberCruncher; 08-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.