DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough
Default Green performance air filter otw

I read up on these and was impressed. So I will be finding out soon if they are b.s. or not. Also I picked up 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 oil full synthetic and a K&N HP-2010 synthetic filter i have been impressed with the Ram service dept s regular oil. i have been a die hard Mobil 1 synthetic for years.. anyways I,ll update this for anyone interested . i should se a small increase in mpgs
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

Where did you order it from?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

I read up on it and was impressed as well. These are the guys Vararam uses for their filters I believe. When I do an intake upgrade it will be a GP drop in or a Vararam for sure. Let us know what you think!

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Green Filters are great, my supercharger will have one... only because it's green though
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black/gold trim
Rep:10
JRod is on a distinguished road

Just got my used 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn. Appreciate any help/suggestion regarding improving MPG/maintenance, such as, synthetic oil, filters, K&N, etc. Also had a bad experience with a chip about 15 years ago (never got it to work right). Do they really help with MPG?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Why 5w-20 weight oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
I read up on these and was impressed. So I will be finding out soon if they are b.s. or not. Also I picked up 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 oil full synthetic and a K&N HP-2010 synthetic filter i have been impressed with the Ram service dept s regular oil. i have been a die hard Mobil 1 synthetic for years.. anyways I,ll update this for anyone interested . i should se a small increase in mpgs
Are your cold temperatures in South Carolina that low that you need 5w (-30 degrees) on the left figure?

True enough synthetic is versatile in temperature viscosity, but 5w?
The K&N filter is a top choice filter for sure. Keeps the oil clean a long time.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
Are your cold temperatures in South Carolina that low that you need 5w (-30 degrees) on the left figure?

True enough synthetic is versatile in temperature viscosity, but 5w?
The K&N filter is a top choice filter for sure. Keeps the oil clean a long time.
Well your manual calls for it.

I run 0w-20 and I live in NY not the tundra. There is more to the left number than just its most extreme low temp. Even in the heat of summer an engine isn't at operating temp if its been sitting for any length of time. The lower the left number the better the oil will flow at start up. The right number is the one needed to protect the engine at operating temp. With synthetic oil there is no disadvantage to running a lower left number. That is not necessarily the case with Dino oil.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:272
h2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the roughh2oman is a jewel in the rough

Seems a bit pricey. I think I only paid $42 for my K&N.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 PM

I bought the filter from kmjperformance off EBay. 52 bucks shipped. Not too bad, a bit high on price, but it is a quality product. I have used several K&N filters over the years, this green filter appears to be much better quality. I have only made one 20 minute drive to work with it, so I can't say anything on performance yet. The stock air filter is a cheap pos and was very dirty for 10k miles of city/highway driving. I highly recommend everyone take a close look at theirs' at 10k, it just goes to show how much air these hemi's like to use.
On to the oil, I am glad I broke down and changed it myself, about 5 (very brown)quarts came out with only 4k miles of use on it. I'd like to to know what happened to the other 2 quarts!? I will be keeping a close eye on consumption. I know this oil is thin so it can easily get sucked through the pcv and possibly blow by the oil rings under hard driving... which I am guilty of! hehe
The hemi thanked me for the fresh air filter and good oil. She already ran smooth but i swear it is running smoother. I've seen the same results before switching a fairly new engine from dino. to syn. oil. So no surprise there.
I'll update this thread after a I get a full tank of 89 octane w/no ethanol through her.
Green Performance sent plenty of nice stickers too, always a plus. They go on my tool box, not my ride btw.
BTW part no. is 2232 for the green filter, it fits 2002-2012 Ram 1500 and 2500 according to the manufactuer.

Last edited by S.C. Express; 05-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM

I've put about 200 miles on her in the past week and all I can say is this was money well spent. The green performance filter has made the engine much more responsive to throttle input. The ambient temps have gone up quite a bit here lately, and the truck feels like I am driving in cooler weather. I let my Aunt borrow my truck on a pretty regular basis. She agrees with me that it is actually stronger and smoother running now. I have had to actually back off the go pedal for my normal driving. I would not waste money on a CAI unless you want the look or the noise. I have all the parts I need laying around to make a very clean 3" ram air setup. That will be the next step. As far as mpg's goes, they have stayed the same but I am running a/c nonstop these days.