DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice
Default C&D review of '14 top 3 trucks

Just read the new Car & Driver September issue 2014 comparison of the Ram, F150 and Chevy LTZ trucks.

The deluxe Ram Longhorn is the most expensive, has the most power, the best transmission (most gears) and was characterized as "The country gentleman of pickup trucks" in the article.

As far as this article test, the Ram (Hemi) turned out to be the slowest, had the longest braking distance, tied for the lowest fuel mileage, had the lowest towing capacity, and barely came in last in the competition. It also exhibited the lowest driver comfort, handling and brake feel. The article was somewhat objective and comprehensively written. One cannot argue with the quantitative results. However, how they rate the awesome new Ram transmission an '8' and the old Ford 6 speed also an '8' and the Chevy 6 speed transmissions a '7' is questionable.

I am shocked at the results. I drove the Ford and new Chevy and I found them to be sorely below the Ram in driveability, style, comfort and build quality. However, this article sees things differently. Car & Driver may not be a dedicated 'truck' magazine, but it is one of the grande dames of automotive magazines.

Last edited by skytop; 08-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I don't think I ever listen to car and driver reviews.

I honestly don't see how it came in last in all of those comparisons when pickuptrucks.com, a site that reviews ONLY trucks, the Ram came in second place overall.

Check it out.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....challenge.html

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

I saw the C&D article. I didn't read it yet. I was disappointed in it's slowness, but then I saw it had 3.21 gears. That explained everything. It was the quickest in the top gear accelerations (30-50, etc). 3.92s would make a huge difference over the 3.21s.

I read C&D, MT, etc. for entertainment-only. I take them as a grain of salt. If we were listening to them, everyone would drive Hondas and BMWs.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:407
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

To be honest, I think Ram should have offered 3:92's as the standard gear, hell even 4:10's. Doubt if economy would suffer 1 bit. Meanwhile, I'll keep driving my 05 with 3:92's and it's a hot rod.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
I saw the C&D article. I didn't read it yet. I was disappointed in it's slowness, but then I saw it had 3.21 gears. That explained everything. It was the quickest in the top gear accelerations (30-50, etc). 3.92s would make a huge difference over the 3.21s.

I read C&D, MT, etc. for entertainment-only. I take them as a grain of salt. If we were listening to them, everyone would drive Hondas and BMWs.

The 3.21 rear gears explain nothing to your point. With the 8 speed tranny, first gear (4.69) is actually considerably lower (more torque multiplication) than a 6 speed first gear (3.00) with a 3.92 rear. The 3.21 rear with 8 speed is the hot set up for power and fuel economy ....at least on paper. This truck test shows the Ram not to be very efficient.

So as you can plainly see, the 8 speed auto is far superior to any 6 speed for torque multiplication. So how the Ram Longhorn was so slow is a mystery to me.

Note: It goes without saying, that for maximum power and towing at the EXPENSE of fuel economy, the 3.92 rear with the 8 speed auto produces more absolute power than the 3.21 equipped vehicle.

Last edited by skytop; 08-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:19
PatrickJ is on a distinguished road

the braking interests me more than anything else
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Same here. I took a test drive in a 2013 this past week and I mentioned to the salesman how poor the brakes felt and how slow the braking was.

I am not getting good vibes with all this. For $50,000, one expects exceptional performance and safety. Doesn't look like it is happening.

When my '14 arrives, I am going to test drive it before purchasing and put it through a range of road tests. If it doesn't feel right, I am declining delivery. If the dealer gives me any static, I am exercising my right to say BYE.

For 2013, the Dodge Ram was the "truck of the year." For 2014, the Dodge Ram is the last place finisher. What's wrong with this picture? We know the white house is totally corrupt and dishonest. Are the magazines phoney too?

Last edited by skytop; 08-07-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Considering there aren't ANY 2014 Ram's out yet.. I wonder how that conclusion came to be? If the ecodiesel is anything it certainly won't be in last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Same here. I took a test drive in a 2013 this past week and I mentioned to the salesman how poor the brakes felt and how slow the braking was.

I am not getting good vibes with all this. For $50,000, one expects exceptional performance and safety. Doesn't look like it is happening.

When my '14 arrives, I am going to test drive it before purchasing and put it through a range of road tests. If it doesn't feel right, I am declining delivery. If the dealer gives me any static, I am exercising my right to say BYE.

For 2013, the Dodge Ram was the "truck of the year." For 2014, the Dodge Ram is the last place finisher. What's wrong with this picture? We know the white house is totally corrupt and dishonest. Are the magazines phoney too?

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I also read somewhere that the 8 speed in the 14 is the same one in a 400k+ rolls Royce.

I've seen the interior of all the new trucks, big bosses at work, friends and lots, and the only one that comes close is the tundra. That interior is pretty nice. Overall. Ram gets my vote.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The 8 speed is the result of the affiliation with Mercedes. Do you think Fiat could design an 8 speed tranny and one that would work?

From back in the 60's:

F fix
I it
A again
T Tony