DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:116
jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough
Default Lsd is the best performance mod!!

So I am going to talk here about LSD for a 2wd truck. I have added several power adding mods to my truck. The usual CAI, cat back, headers and tuner and have seen great overall gains. But I am still experiencing 'bogging' off the line. I have TC turned off but it appears ESC is still kicking in. So I did a little test. I pulled the ABS fuse and viola, I can roast my one wheeled wonder to 80mph!! So power isn't the problem. The problem is Big Brother has decided that wheel spinning is bad. Since I dont want to drive around w/o ABS I put the fuse back in and decided to read the owners manual. The one that comes on a CD and here is what I found:

Traction Control System (TCS) – If Equipped
The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. Refer to “Electronic Stability Control (ESC)” in this section of this manual. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.

So my solution is going to be to install a LSD. Hopefully his will allow both drive wheels to turn at the same rate and stop the computer from breaking and pulling timing. I will also go to 4.10 gears at the same time. I will let yall know how it turns out. It just pisses me off that the truck has 395hp and cant spin a wheel but now that I know why, I am going to fix it.

Any thoughts??
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:34
muddy53 is on a distinguished road

I've been struggling with the same question. Have 3.55's open differential and It won't do a burn out? My old Ford with 250hp and 350 ft-lbs or torque would do burn outs no problem. I'll have to try pulling that fuse and see what happens. I would think the new tuners could help this but apparently not. If you have any luck I'd like to hear.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:52
CmRam will become famous soon enough

I'm not having a problem with that, I have 3.55s also, my problem is getting a good 60 ft time I'm still trying to find the balance between loosing too much traction and bogging from feathering the gas pedal, I'm getting consistent 2.7 60 ft which is worse than stock lol. But if I just stomp on it, it won't hook up till 45-50mph. Alot has to do with road surfaces too some have better traction than others.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM

jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough

Do you have LSD on the Sport? If not the bogging is from the computer pulling timing.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike View Post
Do you have LSD on the Sport? If not the bogging is from the computer pulling timing.
No I don't. I'm wanting to switch to 3.92 or 4.10 LSD though, the labor is expensive though.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Im going to check a few places. I found a mechanic down the street that will do it but Im going to check with a 4x4 shop and a speed shop. I want to find someone that does this all the time. My nephew had gears done at a speed shop and they did it in 2 hours and only charged 200. I keep hearing 200 to 300 for labor is good. If your going to do it go for the 4.10s. It will still be good at highway speeds. Most of my driving is at 40 mph so I would go higher if it was easy.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike View Post
Im going to check a few places. I found a mechanic down the street that will do it but Im going to check with a 4x4 shop and a speed shop. I want to find someone that does this all the time. My nephew had gears done at a speed shop and they did it in 2 hours and only charged 200. I keep hearing 200 to 300 for labor is good. If your going to do it go for the 4.10s. It will still be good at highway speeds. Most of my driving is at 40 mph so I would go higher if it was easy.
That's cheap, ill have to find a respectable shop around here that can do it!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

so let me get this strait u pull the abs fuse and the truck runs like a monster? also how many gauges light up on the dash.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Yea check around. The muffler shop wanted 500 to install my headers. The mechanic down the street did it in his garage in less than 3 hours for 200. The shops around here are crazy. They charge 100 an hour and only pay the mechanic 20 an hour, so I just hire the mechanic directly. I also searched the net for hours and was able to find all the parts for under 900. Im gonna call tomorrow to order.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Three lights and a message. Brake light, abs light, traction light and a message that looks like an email. They all went away when I put the fuse back in. One of the tuners has this as a track option for the 2012 and earlier trucks. But Im thinking I can achieve my goals with the LSD.