DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

You bring up a lot of good points Grimass. I guess I'd fall into the kinda need a truck category since I use it to commute and such, but it saves me from renting a truck when I need to haul/tow/move something. I bought a truck because it is a do-all vehicle.

One point I don't quite agree with you on is that manufacturers are necessarily making them more like cars though. 1/2 to trucks now have 3/4 ton capacities and sometimes more. Yes they have put a lot of emphasis on interior and ride quality (especially with the rise in popularity of crew cab trucks) but trucks are more capable now as well. I would say that they are focusing on improving ride and interior quality etc... (making them drive more like cars) concurrently with improving performance, rather than saying they are making them less truck like. But that is just my opinion.

And at least for me, I don't even really consider Toyota/Nissan when I think of trucks. If it aint big 3 it doesn't count lol.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
mids will become famous soon enough

The word irreverence, is right in the slogan at the end of the video.

ir·rev·er·ence
n.1. Lack of reverence or due respect.
2. A disrespectful act or remark.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:10
mikeysotp is on a distinguished road

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would give a shit what these 3 dorks would have to say. And if anyone thinks this video wasn't produced with an agenda, look at the camera angles in the Ram and the Chebby when they are talking about the seating height. What a ****ing joke.

I don't understand why so many people put such a high level of importance on acceleration in a truck anyway. If I want to go fast I will do it in my Mustang. Sure, I don't want an underpowered truck, but drag racing it is my last concern.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Color: Blue
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
All depends on what article, vid, or advertisement you read or watch as they are all different.

Notice not once did they mention gear ratios, plus a lot of other info one needs to make a final judgement.

Imo, it was a GM sponsored ad or C&D receives a lot of money from GM as it seemed it was more of an advertisement for GM than anything else.
Car & Driver has an article in the Sept issue on the three trucks. The Ram had the 3.21 gear ratio!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:09 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:464
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
I don't understand why so many people put such a high level of importance on acceleration in a truck anyway. If I want to go fast I will do it in my Mustang. Sure, I don't want an underpowered truck, but drag racing it is my last concern.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black and Tan
Leveil22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Personally, I'm glad to see GM finally doing something with their trucks again. I have zero brand loyalty - consider it foolish - no brand has any loyalty to me - I've bought a lot of new Chrysler/Ram/Jeep products over they years and they still treat me like dog crap. I'm always glad to see any improvement from any manufacturer.

- DAA
I agree.....................................
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Seriously, I can't believe anyone would give a shit what these 3 dorks would have to say. And if anyone thinks this video wasn't produced with an agenda, look at the camera angles in the Ram and the Chebby when they are talking about the seating height. What a ****ing joke.

Exactly what I was alluding to earlier!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
Trim Level: Sport 1500
Color: Black
TheMeat54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Personally, I'm glad to see GM finally doing something with their trucks again. I have zero brand loyalty - consider it foolish - no brand has any loyalty to me - I've bought a lot of new Chrysler/Ram/Jeep products over they years and they still treat me like dog crap. I'm always glad to see any improvement from any manufacturer.

- DAA
Agreed. I've owned a Ford and a Chevy and gave all 3 brands a serious consideration when it came time to trade in and buy again. I ended up buying my 2012 Ram. In my own comparisons I have found my Ram to be far superior than my two previous trucks and held an edge over the current model Ford and Chevy in terms of quality and pricing.That said, in terms of service after the sale all 3 need significant improvement in this area. When it comes to warranty issues and yes I've had a couple, the dealer in all 3 cases have been real a-holes to deal with and their service managers even bigger jerks.To pigeon hole yourself and become myopic to only one brand only helps the dealers cultivate and almost promote the I don't care about the customer attitude many dealers seem to have.
By the way... In the video the guy standing in the middle really didn't have a hell of a lot to say, he must own a Tundra
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Color: Max Steel
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

I have been involved in two lemon cases in my last five trucks. The only thing worse than buying what you hope to be your dream truck and having issues is buying what you think you should buy, ie not your dream truck, and still having issues. Get the one you want and hope you get a good one.

I picked up a 2013 Bighorn QC a week ago and yes the Uconnect is flakey but the engine, tranny, ride quality are first rate. I expect to be happy with this truck for many years but given how computerized everything is now, I expect all of them to have issues. I know at the 40k price point it shouldn't be an issue but I just can't see that happening. When you push the envelope you will inevitably push too hard in one area and problems will arise.

I have always liked the current generation Ram's looks, power and interior and for 2013 they only got better. I bought the truck I wanted and hate to admit it but won't come to even this forum too often. I don't want to hear about some minor issue that my truck may have that won't affect me but would drive me crazy if I knew about it. I have tried to have too many known issues fixed by dealers only to be told it is normal, they all do that, etc. Unless I notice a glaring fault I am just going to love my Ram every day.

NC
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
Don't listen to truck reviews, until people realize how to review trucks.

15 years ago, if you told people that $50k 1/2ton luxobarge trucks would be common, they would of laughed at you, and said you were insane.

In those 15 years, Trucks have changed drastically. There are now 3 completely separate truck demographics -- People who need trucks, people who kinda need trucks and people who just want a damn truck.

Really, it is IMHO that the 2007 Toyota Tundra changed the game for ever. Toyota put out a truck that drove like a car 99% of the time. It didn't shatter any sales records -- but manufactures started to that market of people who sorta need a truck, and people who just want a nice truck exists.

Since then, really, Ford is the only manufacture that errors more on the side of "Make it feel like a Truck" -- And they do that Well. Toyota has gone full 'Drive like a car' -- Chevy is heading that direction with the 2014, and Dodge has been heading that direction the last few years as well.

And Guess what, you're seeing more Dodge/Toyotas in driveways that use to have 4-door family cars/SUV's, and I expect to start seeing more silverado's joining them too.

This is where the reviews have problems. They never split these demographics. Seriously, have you EVER seen a truck article talk about baby seat fitment in the same breath as which nav has the most offroad trails on it? Nope. Or, ever talk about which one is easiest to carry groceries in? Nope. Trucks demographics are more diverse now than ever -- but yet truck reviews are not.

My issue is this. Trucks demographics are splitting. What is best to tow a 10,000lb boat every week is not the best truck for taking a family of 4 to soccer practice every day and tow a 10,000lb boat once a year. Depending on which side of that need you're on, the "Winner" of a truck comparison differ greatly.

What will really be interesting is seeing how the 2014 RAM w/ Diesel stands up in reviews. If it gets a legit 20/25 like they claim, You'll really start to see an interesting demographic of people buying trucks who you never thought would.
not quite. trucks started becoming more car like long before 2007. trucks started becoming popular in the early eighties. that is when the demographics started to change. the became a familiy vehicle withe the addition of the rear seat. at this point, the public wanted a truck image with luxury thrown in.