DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
John Cambell is on a distinguished road
Default Using that text message voice thing

How does this work? ive tried studying u connect voice commands.

also, when people text, it "sometimes" pops up on my screen. so I listen to them. it gives me 2 options to reply. I try to hit the option where I speak, that cancels it right away. If I go to the other option of pre set texts, such as "im lost", it says it sent it, but the other person never receives it.

This whole feature is bunged up, so far for me
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Which head is this option available with?

Grub out!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cambell View Post
How does this work? ive tried studying u connect voice commands.

also, when people text, it "sometimes" pops up on my screen. so I listen to them. it gives me 2 options to reply. I try to hit the option where I speak, that cancels it right away. If I go to the other option of pre set texts, such as "im lost", it says it sent it, but the other person never receives it.

This whole feature is bunged up, so far for me
What phone are you using? I can confirm that using the radio to reply to texts doesn't work with iPhones. Many (most?) modern phones don't support the reply feature. It seems like, with a few exceptions, most of the phones that the 8.4 can send replies with are older, such as those ancient RAZR models and such. It was the same situation with the Sync system in my Ford Mustang.

Before text message support totally died on my 8.4AN it would make it seem like I was able to send texts via the radio but it never actually went through. This is apparently something that is not supported with devices like the iPhone 4S/5.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 AM

thanks for the reply. Yeah I have an iphone.

So out of curiosity, why would a 2013 brand new truck, be compatable with a razr phone that is 5 plus years old? why even try to put a text message feature in the truck that won't work with newer phones.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 AM

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

All I can think of is that it must have something to do with the way the Bluetooth MAP protocol is implemented/enabled in modern phones...especially those not made by Motorola.

I remember scratching my head when I first saw the Ford Sync comparability chart and not a single iOS or Android device supported the text messaging feature but the RAZRs and Blackberrys did. It actually appeared that the most advanced devices that worked were Windows phones, but then Sync was Microsoft powered.

If you want a good laugh you can check out the Ford Sync chart at http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea...N_iop_1_30.pdf
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 08-11-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Western Brown
WhiskeyRodeo is on a distinguished road

Like mentioned. The reason it doesn't work is the phone manufacturers fault more than chrylsers. Often in the name of "Security" some of these new phones will not support such features.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

There's a list on the Uconnect website that tells which phones are compatible. My 2+ year old Android phone isn't compatible with the text feature.

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Just a little information on this subject:
Bluetooth specs are not tightly regulated which leaves the interpretation of the spec to be interpreted didferently by the SW writers. In some cases there are a couple different ways that the SW can be written. When the SW is written fo the car kit and phone, no one gets together and says "ok, we're going to ask this qustion or give this command and you need to reply back with this answer or it won't work".
As in MAP, when you want to send a message, you speak a command to send a message. THe carkit tells the phone to send a message, if the phone doesn't reply back that the message has been sent, the carkit in most cases won't leave you thinking the message has been sent or not. The carkit will tell you that the sending failed. This wouldn't be a problem with the carkit but that of the phone.
In the case of the MAP being supported by the phone or how it's supported has nothing to do with the carkit. Apple has decided that SIRI is the way that they want to sent messages and don't support the sending of messages thru BT. The problem here is that SIRI is not supported by all carkits because the manfacturers have decided that concentrating on trying to carry on speaking a long message that SIRI may (most likely) won't get correct can be a driver distraction. Also with some kits if you are using SIRI, Visual Voice mail or Voice memos and have an incoming call, Apple doesn't send the incoming call message long enough for the carkit to give you the "answer / ignore" pop up, leaving no real way to answer the call. When you try to answer it, Apple cancels the SIRI or other feature and also sends the call to your voicemail. Another distraction. As for not being notified of an incoming text message, well Apple doesn't support an "out folder" and doesn't send the incoming message to the out folder to be sent to the carkit.
Now Apple has known about these issues since the 4S came out a couple years ago and haven't done anything to help out.
If the carkits already work with several other phones, why would the carkit company take the chance to conform to APPLE and posibly now have issues with the phones that they currently work with?

1) In order for the newer phones to work with SMS text messaging, they need to support the MAP (Message Access Profile) and do it the same as the Uconnect, Sync, and any other BT car kit is looking for.
2) The reason why some older phones work with the newer carkits is because there are 2 different profiles that the carkit support for SMS messaging.
A) SMS- AT commands (not real reliable and on a handful of phones supported this profile).
B) MAP - Which some phones support it the way the carkit looks for it to be supported.

There's a lot more involved than just saying the carkit sucks. What sucks is the BT specs regulations that give people the option of how something will work.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 PM

thanks for the info

Still, it leaves the customer, like me, thinking, what the heck? haha why doesn't it work, whats the point.

So, where is the list of phones, that it 100% works with?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: sport
Color: white
blue ghost is on a distinguished road

will the iphone with os7 work?