DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default New Jeep Wrangler

We are thinking about getting a new wrangler soon, or at least a late model JK, and likely a 2011+ to get the better engine and transmission. Has to be auto(wife's daily driver), and needs AC(Florida, duh). Other than that options don't matter. Seems like a 2013 is barely more expensive than a 2011 or 2012 used. Can anyone give info/input on these? We were looking at older models at first but now thinking it'd be better to get newer or new. And if we can get in to a brand new one for ~$20k we'd likely buy within the next few weeks. Not sure if it's worth saving a couple thousand on a used one or not...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Anyone?

We test drove one last night. Good chance we will be buying one. The pentastar with the 5 speed auto is a nice combo, it has plenty of power. Price is higher than I wanted though, at $26,900 out the door.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

What trim level are you looking at?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

2013 wrangler sport (base model) only options we care about are AC and auto trans. The one they priced up also had 3.72(or 3.73 or whatever it is) gearing. And it's a soft top. It's 4wd(I assume all are, but someone told me otherwise). Does not have lsd. It was $24k plus all the fee's came out to $26900 out the door or about that. I'd really like to be at ~$24k out the door.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

Wranglers are nice, but they tend to be noisy/rattly after awhile - even the new ones.
Drove a new one when the 4 door came out, and drove a rubicon just for fun when looking for the truck. Still awesome looking vehicles, but that short wheelbase still can be rough on a paved street.

That being said - there's also nothing like running around topless. I'd buy one in a heartbeat for the fun factor, but for a DD I might look into something a bit more comfy. but that's purely my opinion.

For puchase, look at the depreciation vs the options you want. I haven't looked at the changes for the 2013/14 model year. If there are no significant changes, then... If you can find one with your preferred options and it's been maintained well - I certainly see no reason to go new. But if you can get a deal on a new one within a couple grand of a comparable used one - and you can afford it... then go for it.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM

We will likely keep this ram and the new jeep 10-20+ years. Or as long as feasibly possible. We can afford the jeep, but still want the best deal, don't want to overpay.

I actually found the wrangler to be more comfy than my ram. Only in the sense of leg room in the front seats. I'm 6'4" and since the seats are taller my legs are more comfortable. The rear seat is tight but we don't really need it anyway. That's why we aren't considering the 4 door. We could put someone back there if needed.

It doesn't even look like LSD is an option on jeeps website for the sport/base model.

The biggest changes in 2012 were the new engine and transmission. We'd probably not consider an older one at this point. The pentastar had a lot of power.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

You should be able to get them down to $24K OTD...good luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

If I'm going to look for an older one, I'm going to search for a 4.0 inline 6 and 5 or 6 speed manual. I don't know much about what was supposedly wrong with the 3.7V6 other than it felt underpowered. Newer Jeeps have the death wobble that Chrysler refuses to address - something with the plastic in the ball joints deteriorating and causing too much free play. Aftermarket bits fixes the problem.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM

We were originally looking at 4.0L inline sixes. Just decided it'll be better in the end to get a newer model. Also have decided for sure on a 2012+ to get the pentastar 3.6L. The 3.8L (not 3.7L) seems ok but price isn't much cheaper so might as well get more power and mpg.

We are going shopping tonight If they have what we want and price is right we will probably come home with it.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Well we tried to buy one last night. We were right there but they were about $1,000 over what we wanted to pay, so we left. We'll see what happens through the weekend...