DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BIGHORNJON is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 RES Head Unit Swap HELP

Hey all,

I have searched this forum, and done some research, but not quite finding a detailed explanation of what will be involved in swapping the head unit in my 2012 Dodge Ram Bighorn.

At the moment I have the basic RES head unit, and I'm hoping to get something with media display and navigation. My two options obviously are after market, or an upgraded factory unit.

Which would you suggest? If I go aftermarket, what all will I need to swap out my factory RES unit for an aftermarket double din deck? And if I stick with an upgraded factory head unit, which should I go with, and what will be involved with the swap?

As mentioned, I hope to gain navigation as well with the swap.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Cheers,

Jon
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Well Jon
Lets start with staying stock from Ram

Does your RES radio have Uconnect ?
Can you make a cell phone call using your RES ?
Does it have the phone receiver button on the face of the RES or not ? ( they made RES radios both ways )
Does the RES have Satellite radio

There are 3 better radios that came in the 2012 & all of them are the same size as the RES radio(s)

The RBZ 430 has a touch screen, for media display, but it does Not have Navigation
you will need an external module, that is sort of costly, unless you get it from a donor vehicle

The RHB 430N has the Media Display, touch screen, & GARMIN Navigation, ( preferred by many of the people as a nav system )
it also requires the external module

The RHR 730N has the touch screen, media display, & NAVTEQ Navigation, the navigation can be controlled by your voice. I also believe everything is contained inside the radio & you don't need an separate modules to make some things work, just plug in the power, usb, am/fm, microphone, & satellite cables

The reason i asked about the RES radio having the cell phone, Uconnect button, if it has it, then it may also have the external module & it possibly can be used on the 430 radios

the stock radios can be more expensive then the after market ones, unless you get lucky

================================================== ===========================

If you go to the Crutchfield website, you can find after market radios that fit into your stock dash
with just a bit of trimming on the dash, you can install a very nice radio that will be a Double Din unit, it will also have several options that you can't get with a Stock radio
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 03-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yup I can use voice control and Uconnect with my RES, it also has the steering wheel controls. I believe the mic is in the rear view mirror?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

this is a video showing the radio removal without the full floor console

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My RES does have the phone receiver button right on the head unit. It also does have Sirius radio.

My truck also has the centre console, and console shift rather than the column shift.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hopefully you read my first post, i have edited it to add some information

This video covers your Ram radio removal, it shows the floor console too, he used his finger nails at one point, at the auto parts store they have plastic trim tools that work better

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHORNJON View Post
Yup I can use voice control and Uconnect with my RES, it also has the steering wheel controls. I believe the mic is in the rear view mirror?
I swapped my RES with the uconnect and steering wheel controls with a high speed RBZ and it worked perfectly. The unconnect is an external module so it just continued to work as well as the steering wheel controls. I also added lock pic and my own front and rear cams. Very happy with it and its been working perfect for two years now. For nav I just use my Tomtom.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Something else to think about. Go to your local stereo shop to get your harness for the HU, best buy was trying to get me to buy a $80 harness!! Went to a shop and got it for $14 and all i had to do was splice into the switched power at the cig lighter for my 12v. Id give you the part number but i lost it. I belive scosche makes it.

There will be another harness for wheel controls of you want to keep them. I think its $50-$75.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
I swapped my RES with the uconnect and steering wheel controls with a high speed RBZ and it worked perfectly. The unconnect is an external module so it just continued to work as well as the steering wheel controls. I also added lock pic and my own front and rear cams. Very happy with it and its been working perfect for two years now. For nav I just use my Tomtom.
This is definitely something I'd be interested in doing. There was no modification to the dash bezel or anything? Just bolted right in?

I hope I don't loose any of my functions like bluetooth, uconnect, iPhone compatibility, voice control, and sirius

I found this on Ebay, is it what I would need?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_7513wt_954
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHORNJON View Post
This is definitely something I'd be interested in doing. There was no modification to the dash bezel or anything? Just bolted right in?

I hope I don't loose any of my functions like bluetooth, uconnect, iPhone compatibility, voice control, and sirius

I found this on Ebay, is it what I would need?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_7513wt_954
No modifications whatsoever, direct swap plug and play. Your Bluetooth, iPhone compatibility, voice control are all part of uconnect which was a separate module on my 2010 Ram so it just continued to work, my phone was still connected after the swap. For Sirius you would just have to tell them your new serial number (I think) since the RBZ includes sat. I don't use satellite but it is on my RBZ I just don't have a subscription. The one on eBay looks just like mine which I also got of eBay. The price also seems comparable to what I paid for mine. Here is my install thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80725