DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram Rumble BEE

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Rumble Bee
Trim Level: Rumble Bee
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
oneno is on a distinguished road
Default Low RPM Surge.

Hey everybody. I already checked the archives for similar complaint/problem but no one seemed to have the exact one as mine so here it goes. Truck is 05' with 52K on the odo, mods are K&N cold air intake that I just recharged the cleaner about 2 Mos ago, and it has straight dual exhaust with no cats and shorty performance mufflers. Since the truck has no cats I had to do the spark plug de fouler with still wool and have not had any cel since wich is around 2 mos. Last week it started sputtering and surging around 1700 rpm and 30 mph and it makes the exhaust sputter and cackle and the truck runs like crap until I let off the gas or accelerate above to around 2500 rpm and then it seems to run fine, no cel or codes are being thrown as I did the ignition on,off three times trick to see if any codes come up and the only thing that comes up is "done" and then it populates with the mileage. So I heard it could be the EGR valve so bought a new one and put it on last night. I noticedwhile removing the old one that it was attached to the block with only one bolt and a higher amount of black carbon around that side and figured the original had vibrated out so I thought that could be part of the problem. So I installed the new EGR valve and gaskets and drove it to work today and the exact same sputtering and surging around 1,700 rpm and then I realized I didn't reset the ecm so when I got home I took both battery cables off and touched them together and let it sit for an hour to clear the computer and reset it and then put the cables back on test drove it and the exact same sputtering and still no cel or code? what's next as I have to do something quick because the surge is a little dangerous and noisy with my exhaust. If it was plugs wouldn't ot do it more than at just around 1,700 rpm? any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Almost sounds like you've got a dead spot on your TPS. Don't know if that is possible, but since it always happens in the same RPM, something is telling the computer to do something that the engine does not like.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Had the ecm reflashed, the tech said it was behind by three updates, so now I have replaced the egr valve, the throttle body, cleaned the AIT, replaced the 2 forward 02 sensors, installed 2 new flowmaster high flow cats, checked plugs, checked for any vacuum air leaks around throttle body, performed the throttle sensor reset, and had the ECM reflashed and it still surges as if I'm giving it a quarter more throttle than I am during normal acceleration, till I let off the pedal. When it tops out during the surging if I let it, it lurches and stutters as if fuel starvation so I just ordered a new MAP Sensor and will install it when it arrives in a few day. When looking at the MAP Sensor I noticed it had the two mounting holes that showed wear from a previous installed sensor that must have been the original stock sensor. It looked like the original was the type that mounted with 2 bolts on either side but now it has the cheaper push in type? wonder why a truck that had less than 50k on the odo when I bought it in the spring would already have had the original map sensor replaced? and why wouldn't they replace it with the type that came stock? is there any difference between the 2 MAP sensors? Throughout all of this, the truck is not throwing ANY codes and no cel. no rich smelling exhaust and happens mostly while cold but still happens but with less frequency when warm.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

All very good questions. Perhaps the PO was having the same issue and tried to cheap out on the MAP fix. Here's to hoping a new MAP sensor fixes it.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
maybz is on a distinguished road

could you please let us know how you make out. My 07 is doing the same thing Had the induction and injectors cleaned and new egr valve as well
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It ended up being the MAP sensor. The original owner had replaced the stock 2 bolt shallower type with the deeper crew in type. Replaced it with an OEM 20 dollar one, now all is well....so far.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 AM
God Bless Texas!

Excellent find! Let's hope all stays well, now.