DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red/grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
wchnu is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Not sure how mad to be.

I bought a 2003 1500 4x4 Hemi QC less then two months ago. When I got it the dealer said their service department had been through it before it was put on the lot. I bought it as is and got what I think is a good deal on it. around $9000 with 111000 miles.

I started hearing some noise in the front end soon after I got home. I have been driving it some and have put about 4000 miles on it. Took it to my mechanic yesterday and got it back today. Had to have ball joints. He said they were bad enough to be dangerous.

I know it was bought as is. I drove it before buying and did not hear anything. What do you guys think? Should they have caught that and fixed it or at least let me know they were in bad shape?

George Washington
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on who did the safety inspection. If it was some newbee lube jack wagon, then he would not have caught it. If it was a seasoned mechanic, he may have thought they weren't bad enough to recommend, but usually, whoever does the safety also gets to do the work on it... easy money. Could've been the used care sales manager already had too much money in to it and didn't want to cut in to his profits. Too many variables to know for certain.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Ball joints should be easy to spot, especially if they were that bad.