DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Greyish
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Ram08 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.7 l mod question.

Okay, so I have the new generation 4.7l v8. comes with 310 hp stock and 330 lbs/ft. I was wondering if there were any performance mods that you guys would go with first. Since my truck is almost paid off and I plan on keeping for a while and getting another Ram, I kind of want to make this a play toy. Some of my plans are
-CAI
-Tuner
-Cam
-New Exhaust
-Headers

I also thought about (and you guys are going to think this is crazy) but a super charger. I don't honestly know too much about the new 4.7 but I didnt know if they even made one, and if they did what all would need to be installed to make it possible, and also I think I need to replace the spark plugs in my truck. I have heard they have 16 like the old 5.7. the truck has 120,xxx miles and it has the original plugs. what plugs should I get and would you guys change them? or leave them as is.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The superchips is by far the best tuner performance wise for a stock or nearly stock engine. Bullydog is also very good. If you get in to changing cams(there are two), head work, etc(other big mods) then you will need custom tuning via a diablo tuner.

There were a couple differnt superchargers for the older 4.7L's, none for the newer. The good news is you could make it work. You could probably fit an older supercharger kit to a newer engine(if you can find one....they have been out of production for years) and use the diablo tuner for custom tuning. I just saw a kenne bell kit for sale on jeepforum so check there.

There are no cams off the shelf for the new 4.7L, so you'd have to get custom reground cams. This could still be worth it, just not as simple as other more popular engines. I've considered it myself, but since it's not my "toy", I decided it's not worth it. If I ever have to rebuild the engine I might do it. There are also no headers, but again, you can have them made. I have slight welding capabilities, and some good friends are pretty good welders, so I might make some longtubes for my 4.7L eventually.

The tuner is amazing onthe 08+ 4.7L, so start there. Intake/exhaust will work well with the tuner(especially if you have longtube headers made). Also, ATI makes an underdrive damper/pulley(search for this on airram.com). It's pricey but a high quality piece, and you'll pick up some torque. Headwork would be another good way to spend your money, and if you really want to dig in to the engine, raise the compression.

Nitrous is the cheapest way to get big power...

As for the plugs, stick with oem plugs until you get big mods. Until you use nitrous, or go with a super charger, etc stick with oem plugs. FYI, oem plugs are different from intake side to exhaust side, so you have two different types of plugs(8 of each type). The part numbers are in the owner's manual, they are both Bosch plugs. Be prepared to replace the ignition coils if the plugs have that many miles on them. I had to replace all 8 coils on my truck when I did them at 75k miles. The intake sides are supposed to be done at 50k miles, exhaust side at 100k miles. Change all yours out since you are way past due. I heard NAPA carries new plug boots so you don't have to replace the entire coil, but had not confirmed. If you get in to changing plugs email me first I have a bunch of tips that will save you time and headache. My email is my username at gmail. It's not very hard but the tips will save you a lot of time.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 08-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks! Lots of good info, sounds to me like you have looked into these things. what all would I be getting into with Nitrous? I know not to run wet shot, but I figured a 50 dry shot would be a pretty big noticeable change?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

You could do the tuner first. Depending on what you can spend now, tuner, CAI, and exhaust. If you have any questions, feel free to send an email. Sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Don't do a dry nitrous setup. Wet is way safer. There's a guy with your same engine running a 125 shot, his name is darknight. Search for him he'll give you some info.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Okay, thanks guys. I'll give this darknight guy a hollar