DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500 (on order)
Rep:10
loudounrv is on a distinguished road
Default How do I Negotiate Price on '14 Special Order

I've been waiting for about 6 months to place a special order for a '14. I think I know what I want, but I have no idea how to negotiate the best price, or a even a good price. I'm feeling a bit nervous and have a couple of basic questions.

1. I have done a build sheet and I'm assuming that the FWSP column is what people refer to as the "dealer invoice price," right?

2. What's the rule of thumb for arriving at a good price? Do you want to aim for a certain amount over invoice? How do I start the negotiation process?

3. With a special order (I want a rare combination, ie manual transmission) do I have more or less leverage? When buying off the lot, just having the right truck gives the dealer a lot of bargaining power. So, I'm hoping a special order may give me a little leverage. I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I also don't want to pay more than I have to. One thought was to pick 3 dealers I respect, give them my specs, and tell them I'm going to pick the best price.

I'd welcome any advice or experiences others have had negotiating price! Thank you!

Last edited by loudounrv; 07-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram 1500 diesel
Rep:19
udontknowjack is on a distinguished road

the first thing i would say to my saleman is how much i can get the truck for below dealer invoice.... i wont go over a thousand above invoice
Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Tell them you want 1,000 under invoice and dont take no for an answer. Just remember, If they try to give you crap, you are always leaving. Just walk towards the door. Trust me, I sell cars for a living.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

I went to 3 different dealerships...most places you dont talk to a salesman...you want to order, you talk to the sales mgr...you START at the invoice price for the vehicle as you build it, at his desk, on his puter........forget MSRP...it doesnt exist as far as your concerned...the dealer holdbacks allow them to make a profit even AT invoice. so your number may range from 1k UNDER to mebbe a couple hundred over....depending on how far yer willing to go to get it. The sales mgr i finally ordered from told me he wished he could order EVERY car....he'd need no salesmen, no 100's of vehicles on his lot, and no huge revolving debt to finance his floor plan.....just shovel some paper around and still make $1000+ per vehicle....

as far as leverage re ordering "strange" combinations...forget it...either DODGE can or cant do it...the dealer has no juice..and could care less....the more you spend, the more he makes......and the 13 RAM book is accurate enough....

so far as mechanically actually doing it...go build one on line, if you havent already, and print it out...as it stands there are a few minor changes for 14....but you can straighten them out with the sales mgr...dont forget to allow for delivery....good luck
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Read and educate yourself so you know what dealer cost is and what others are paying. You can get major reductions on any 2013 now as the dealers are very eager to blow out the 'old' models.

Don't expect any great bargain on a 2014 Ram. They are in high demand and the dealers have plenty of buyers. If you want a 2014, I would suggest you wait a month or so until the new promotions start to appear. GM and Ford are offering them already so Dodge will have to do similar.

If the dealer won't 'deal,' exercise your privilege to walk out and go elsewhere.

Last edited by skytop; 07-27-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

What Yankee said.

Build one online, accept the dealer contact invitation - it will get you straight to a sales manager, or fleet/internet sales guy. Then you can go in, sit down at that persons desk and watch over his shoulder as you choose options and build it out on his online ordering system. His "invoice price" (whatever the heck that actually means anymore...), will be shown on the order/build sheet.

Simply start with $1K under that price and go from there. You shouldn't have to pay that full invoice, no matter what. Getting $500 below is almost automatic. Getting more than that may take the whole getting up and walking away rigmarole, up to you to decide how much effort and at what price you're satisfied.

Then about all you can do, is make sure you get in writing that you get the greater of incentives at time of order or time of delivery. Ordering a 2014 right now, incentives will likely be better at time of delivery. I ordered my 2013 three months ago and it's looking like incentives were actually better then than now - but the truck isn't here yet - incentives might be better by the time it gets here in August. I'll get whichever are better.

That is a pretty standard deal. Better is certainly possible. But you can get $500 below "invoice" and "best incentives" by just going to the internet/fleet guy and asking for it, with no song and dance.

- DAA
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

All in all, not counting the unanticipated "tracking expedition", ordering one was the most pleasant experience ive EVER had at anybodys dealership, ever....I was satisfied with every part of it, including the price....folks think it has to be adversarial...it doesnt...just depends on the guy across the desk....and how snippy you think you need to be....and you dont need to be...you just need to be "educated"....and the sales mgr, if he's any good, will pick up on it right away....its a whole different kind of a discussion from the ones you have with the salesguys around the lot....

additionally, he told me that the "incentives" will appear ASA the trucks actually start "rolling out", and i'll automatically get it (them) at that time..in the meantime, as i posted earlier, i got a $500 coupon FROM DODGE (not any dealer) applicable to any 13 OR 14...as long as i get it b4 9/30.....................and i better, all things considered.......

Last edited by Yankee; 07-28-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
bertburch is on a distinguished road
Default How do you get the dealer invoice

I am looking for a 2014 2500 4x4 Megacab with the 6.4L Hemi. How do I go about getting the real dealer invoice. When I tried asking my dealer, he printed a made-up invoice which was basically the MSRP and told me that was their invoice cost.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go back to that dealer, then.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 13 RAM 2500CC 4x4 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black Two Tone Metallic Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
DDorr is on a distinguished road

If you are a member of any of the following USAA, Credit Union they have online buying that will allow you to build the truck the way you want it. USAA actually gives you a target price that is WAY below MSRP, in my build case it was about 9K less. The site will then give you a list of dealers who will honor that price.