DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge 4.7
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: white
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:17
whitev8 is on a distinguished road

Roger ram jet explained a cat back system starts just behind the cats which the magnaflow 16386 dose not start until just before muffler and keeps the joint where the two pipes are joined from factory. I guess the cat back is word is being used loosely.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

On the 4th gen v8 rams a cat back is a waste of money, because all the pipe that they replace is basically identical to what you already have stock. Swapping just the muffler alone for ~$100 will net the same results. The OEM pipe is SS and mandrel bent, and sized appropriately for stock to mildly modified engines.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
On the 4th gen v8 rams a cat back is a waste of money, because all the pipe that they replace is basically identical to what you already have stock. Swapping just the muffler alone for ~$100 will net the same results. The OEM pipe is SS and mandrel bent, and sized appropriately for stock to mildly modified engines.
Why do you continue with posting this false information?

Please stop.

That ship has sailed......

Grub out!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^What are you talking about? I'm posting this information because the original poster asked about cat back vs muffler alone. What's false about what I posted?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM

The stock exhaust after the y pipe is one of two configurations:

3" single stainless steel pipe into a single in/single out muffler with 3" single stainless, mandrel bent tail pipe.

or

3" single stainless steel pipe into a single in/dual out muffler with 2.25" dual stainless, mandrel bent tail pipes.

The maganflow cat back system is 3" single stainless steel pipe into a single in/dual out muffler with 2.5" dual stainless, mandrel bent tail pipes.

So the only real difference is you go from 2.25" dual tail pipes to 2.5" dual tail pipes, which is not at all necessary. The dual 2.25" factory tail pipes flow more than the single 3" pipe before the muffler, so there is no benefit to the larger tail pipes.

I don't see where the cost of the cat back is justified vs just replacing the muffler. It's fine if you want to spend more, but I'm just giving the original poster real information to save him money if he doesn't want to spend it where it isn't beneficial.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Which Magnaflow catback exhaust are you speaking of specifically?

Grub out!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Whichever catback you prefer for the 4th gen v8 ram 1500's. The one for the 4.7L and 5.7L is the same I believe, although has different part numbers.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge ram 1500
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:36
arrownine1 is on a distinguished road

I install both the Cat back and the Muffler only at my shop all the time. I constantly have people come in and when I price the cat back they leave and go to the guy up the street and he installs the Muffler and dual pipes only for about half of what I charge for the cat back system. Here is the difference. The mid pipe on the cat back is made from stainless steel and once it seasons, it helps produce a cleaner, more aggressive tone when used in combination with the Magnaflow muffler. Different metals produce different tones. It's why no one ever made a trumpet out of mild grade steel. Secondly, these guys that bend pipes don't really have the ability to flow test their wonderful creations to insure that both sides allow for equal and adequate exhaust flow. Magnaflow, on the other hand, has invested millions in their designs and do exactly that. Lastly, Magnaflow tail pipes are also made from stainless steel and once again we are back to the whole Steel trumpet issue. Magnaflow components are warrantied for life. I installed a Magnaflow Cat Back System on a SRT8 300 about 5 years ago. Last year a weld on the muffler cracked and I called my supplier. ( Mind you, this guy drives this car in a way that ruins a set of tires every two months and cooks the brakes off of it twice a year. ) Three days later I didn't just get a new muffler from them, they shipped the entire Cat Back system. Joe Cracker at Ed's Mufflers isn't gonna give you that warranty on his galvanized rust magnet pipes or his pitting prone chrome 18" tips. I have the Cat back on my 2003 and a couple of months back one of my old customers that thought he got a great deal from Muffler King because he was told I was trying to rip him off because the pipes were the same, heard my truck at the 7-11. He wanted to know what I had in my truck and I told him it was the Cat back he had me order for him and then never showed up for. he said that my truck sounded way better than his and that he wished I had told him there was going to be a difference. I informed him in a very blunt way that " I did! You didn't listen!"
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM

^ 4th gen v8 rams have stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust pipe before the muffler and after the muffler from the factory. This is why I say the cat back is a waste of money. If you weld in the muffler then you have a system that is the same as the cat back, for a fraction of the cost. I agree 100% with you that the guys replacing the stock stainless steel mandrel bent pipe for crush bent mild steel pipe and are PAYING FOR IT have no idea what they are doing, and making a big mistake.

As I said above the only thing you "gain" when getting the catback is 2.5" dual tailpipes vs the stock 2.25" dual tailpipes(which won't make any difference in performance as the dual 2.25" tailpipes already flow more than the 3" single inlet to the muffler), and the big exhaust tips. So you are essentially spending hundreds of dollars for exhaust tips. That's fine if you want to, just know what you're buying.

Last edited by snrusnak; 08-30-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

Because this argument pops up every 3-5 days has anyone thought of putting all of the options in one thread and linking dynos and videos etc?

Personally i will jsut be doing the muffler swap, the cost of "cat back" isn't justified until a person at least swaps the headers, and then i would probably shoot for true dual