DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Thunder Roa
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
WIKD RAM is on a distinguished road
Default Honest Discussion About Exhaust Flow

Alright, I have heard many an argument over mufflers and flow rates and which exhaust system is best. I want an honest discussion from someone who knows their stuff on this subject.

I hear the Magnaflow fans rave about the "wide open" design and how much it flows.

I hear the Flowmaster fans talk about backpressure and scavenging of exhaust gases.

U hear Dynomax fans claim that their mufflers are the best...

So someone please help me out. What good does a super, high flow muffler do on an engine that isn't a 500HP+, all out race motor?

Will you lose low end torque with a more open muffler?

How exactly does exhaust scavenging work and what are the benefits?

I will make it known now that I am a Flowmaster man. I have had Flows on everything that I have ever owned and have one on my 2006 Hemi now. But I am open to something else if someone can PROVE to me that one muffler or the other is truly better or worse.

My truck is stock, save the muffler, FOR NOW. I will not be racing it. I will not be pulling stumps or hauling bulldozers with it. It is just a daily driver that I plan on throwing a few bolt on mods in the near future. (CAI, programmer, etc)

So what is best or better for a stock Hemi? A Borla race muffler that flows 1100 cfm is great, but what good does that do me with a stock motor?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
CanDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKD RAM View Post
Alright, I have heard many an argument over mufflers and flow rates and which exhaust system is best. I want an honest discussion from someone who knows their stuff on this subject.
I will give my thoughts below

Quote:
I hear the Magnaflow fans rave about the "wide open" design and how much it flows.
I hear the Flowmaster fans talk about backpressure and scavenging of exhaust gases.
Back pressure is something that is required for a 2 stroke, Look at race cars, straight exhausts with low restriction. The easier the engine can breathe in and out the more efficient it will be. Scavenging is more for pipe size and length selection.

Quote:
U hear Dynomax fans claim that their mufflers are the best...
Honestly, unless you are doing a full smooth wall mandrel bend (no compression in the bends true duel from the headers, it is somewhat irrelevant. You are changing parts for sound and slight performance.
For instance; look at the Ram 1500 Sport, it has 2 headers, that go to a collector and into one 3" pipe, then into a muffler that splits it into 2 2.25" pipes and separates it. Along the way there is a Cat, a stock Y pipe that one side drops to 1.5" a stock muffler, and 2 resonators.

Quote:
So someone please help me out. What good does a super, high flow muffler do on an engine that isn't a 500HP+, all out race motor?
They are all better than stock, it is really a sound preference.

Quote:
Will you lose low end torque with a more open muffler?
Even if you did, it is very unlikely that you would notice it. Mufflers are made to reduce noise, or muffle it, they are not made for performance. Performance mufflers are made to be better than stock. They will flow air better but be louder. Mufflers on race cars are there to help meet noise restrictions set in place on certain tracks.

Quote:
How exactly does exhaust scavenging work and what are the benefits?
It is the selection of pipe size and length to create an almost vacuum effect that helps the exhausts come out faster and increase performance. We are talking about a straight muffler swap here and as you mentioned your goals are >500HP on a V8, it really does not matter.

Quote:
I will make it known now that I am a Flowmaster man. I have had Flows on everything that I have ever owned and have one on my 2006 Hemi now. But I am open to something else if someone can PROVE to me that one muffler or the other is truly better or worse.
If you like the sound of the Flowmasters, then go with it. What "sounds good" is a personal preference.

Quote:
My truck is stock, save the muffler, FOR NOW. I will not be racing it. I will not be pulling stumps or hauling bulldozers with it. It is just a daily driver that I plan on throwing a few bolt on mods in the near future. (CAI, programmer, etc)

So what is best or better for a stock Hemi? A Borla race muffler that flows 1100 cfm is great, but what good does that do me with a stock motor?

Thanks.
The key is the balance between your performance goals and budget.
You are mentioning an exhaust (muffler) for now, and possibly an intake and programmer for later. Using it for daily driving, a bit of a work and impressing you and your friends butt dynos. Correct?

My suggestion is this:
Start with a Muffler, you can change resignators, midpipe, Y pipe (X-Pipe for true duels), high flow Cat, headers etc later.

Intake, honestly, from what I have seen a K&N Drop in is the best bang for the buck, and a Vararam is the best performance with the possibilities of snow and water issues.

Programmer, this will yield you the best results, but will work best with the above.

Hope this helps, I think that most people are like you. They want some upgrades but don't really care about making high HP numbers.

Last edited by CanDan; 08-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Mango Tango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:98
MangoTangoMofo will become famous soon enough

well written, this will answer a lot of peoples questions.

5x11x22 Magnaflow with a resonator delete // Rough Country 2.5F&1.75R level kit // 17 XD Cranks // 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's // Air Lift 1000 // Armor Thane bed liner // Century Ultra Sport Canopy // Yakima Roof Rack // Mopar side steps // Custom Browning Mudflaps
Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

..a muffler is how it starts..I did pretty much the exact same thing...started with an 18" magnaflow muffler swap...then a K & N dropin....then modded here, modded there and in the end...it never ends