DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: dark blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
billz2001ram is on a distinguished road
Default Idle trouble

The day before yesterday went to start my 2001 Ram 1500 5.2L. It has aftermarket power locks, remote start, and security system. I tried to start it remotely and it sound like the starter was not engaging the flywheel. Just a grinding noise. It quit doing that and I tried to start it with the key. It cranked slow but started, but would not idle, none of the gauges worked. It died when I took my foot off the gas. I restarted it and it died but all the gauges worked this time while it ran. Repeated the process several times with the same result, wont idle. I logged on to this forum and looked for a solution. I went back out and checked the computer for any codes. None found. Also checked the ignition thing where I turn the key on and off 3 times and there's no codes. It has a brand new battery. I cleaned the connections anyway and still no luck. Won't idle. Checked the voltage and it's putting out 14.2 volts. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the Idle air control valve from what I've read on here. Maybe it had a brain fart with the gauge thing. It started this morning and idled perfect until I shut it off and restarted it and it is doing the same thing, wont idle. What do you all think?
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

I'd disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and let the computer reset itself, then try again. If it still does it, then look in to the IAC valve.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I've had the battery disconnected while I cleaned the battery posts and all cable connections. But in the morning I'll try it again this time for 30 minutes or so. I plan on pulling the IAC and looking to see if it's dirty.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Today I disconnected the battery while I pulled the IAC valve. It was real dirty. I just went ahead and replaced it. Cleaned the hole where it mounts to the throttle body. Buttoned everything back up did the mod to the throttle cable to pull all the slack out of the gas pedal. Plugged my computer chip back in. Crossed my fingers and started it. It idles perfect. Drove it all around town and down the hwy. It is not the same truck. It runs much better with the slack out of the throttle cable.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz2001ram View Post
Today I disconnected the battery while I pulled the IAC valve. It was real dirty. I just went ahead and replaced it. Cleaned the hole where it mounts to the throttle body. Buttoned everything back up did the mod to the throttle cable to pull all the slack out of the gas pedal. Plugged my computer chip back in. Crossed my fingers and started it. It idles perfect. Drove it all around town and down the hwy. It is not the same truck. It runs much better with the slack out of the throttle cable.
That's good news. Thanks for sharing!