DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
RetiredJeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Catch can question

So I've been I've been a member here for a while and have rarely posted but read a lot on here and browse a lot of the pics of awesome looking trucks! But anywho. I've got a 2005 1500 QC 4.7. Got it with about 120k on it and kept it really nice on the exterior and have put tires 265-70-17 nitto terra graps, rotors and pads on all four corners, spark plus (o.e. champions) oil pressure sensor, power window switch and door actuator, battery, new crank case seal and serp belt, shocks all the way around, on my second rack and pinion with inner tie rods (don't wanna talk bout that one lol) outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, lower ball joints, driver side cv axle, toolbox in the bed and previous owner put a k&n drop in, last week i had a magnaflow single in dual out muffler put on with dual pipes out the back as a bday present to myself and just the other day I put in some sylvania is silver star headlight bulbs. Well I've only had it about a year and a half and this February I was in a wreck and had to replace the driver side fender, both doors, and the mirror now I'm at 145 k and it just sucks cuz I've put so much work into it and now the doors I replaced are dented and scratched up and it took me about three or four weeks of tweaking the door to get them to line up but I have to slam the driver door to get it to fully shut(thus why I've had to replace an actuator) I've thought long and hard about gettin rid of it but I love it, the motor runs like a top and its paid off so eventually I'm just gonna have a body shop fix the door and I also have a driver side manifold leaking( read tons on here and I'd just rather pay someone to do it, prob gonna save up get a set of headers gaskets and bolts and have someone do it for me) ANYWAYS sorry for such a long post but I wanted to vent and share my story. I've been reading a lot about catch cans and seemed like somethin fun to do (love tinkering with my vehicles) but at 145k is it worth it? Or just replace the pcv valve and keep the throttle body And intake cleaned??? (work at a AAA garage so I am going to do a full throttle body/ injector cleaning soon) let me know what u guys thank and again sorry for the long rant haha. Oh and I also gotta do a trans pan gasket soon and have been havin the p0456 code come up every now and then for the past prob six or eight months. changed the gas cap and have looked over all the hoses underneath and cant fin nothin lol geez does the list ever stop growing??? Lol
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cow! You've put a lot in to your truck. I like that, loyalty and dedication. And the fact that you don't have a truck payment, which is why when my tranny went, I replaced it and did the diff at the same time. $3500 later, I've got a new tranny and a new diff. And like yours, my engine runs like a charm. I did the catch can because it makes the intake just a little bit cleaner and after seeing what and how much comes out the PCV, I have some peace of mind knowing that it's no longer going in to my intake. It's a little hard to mount in our engine compartment, not much room to put it or mount it. I zip tied mine to the wiring harness on the fire wall. I have to take the intake tube off, but two quick hose clamps and it's off. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out and where you ended up mounting it.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

Yeah i need to do this to my Ram too. I had it done to my 97 Eclipse GST when i owned her and it (i think) help improve emissions and improve MPG.

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>
Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

81 view and two opinions? Hmm lol thanks for the replays and yes I've done a LOT to it. Since its paid off ill be keepin it forever. Hopin to have a hemi challenger in the next few years so this will be the beach truck and back and forth to work (live about 10miles form the water). Guess I will look into gettin one of these. Doubt ill go with one of the 130 dollar ones. Prob get a cheap eBay one. Figure all it does is catch gunk why waste a ton of money on one lol and roger ram jet, I'll prob end up just doin a trans/motor/rear end when and if they go out since I'm keepin it for a good while lol but all three are solid other than the small trans pan leak which will be fixed in the next few weeks. Thanks for the opinions guys!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime, Wyatt. I got a catch can from Sears (oil/water separator) and some tubing from the auto parts store to extend it up to the fire wall, and some fittings from the hardware store to connect it all together. I'm with you, I couldn't see spending a lot of money on this mod. Spent about $30 bucks total on the whole thing.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Did an injection cleaning today at work. Kinda like the seafoam method but with a product called BG we use. Hook it up to a compressor that mists it through the intake and damn what a smoke show she made lol
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 PM
God Bless Texas!

Heard a lot of good things about BG, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

We use all BG products. Oil additive, Trans and coolant cleaners and additives, tb/injector cleaners and fuel additive. Good stuff