DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
teryxrider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
K, just to clarify. You did pull up on the lever when lowering the trailer onto the ball right? Then when you have it sitting on the ball fully the lever still won't go down?

This is correct, the lever is up when I lower it onto the ball. At this point, the lever does not lock into place downwards. When the trailer arm is away from the ball, I can easily lift the lever up and down by pressing the trigger. When it is on the ball, it goes down partially but not enough to engage the locking mechanism and lock into place.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona Quad4x4
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Go ManGo
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:38
MTG8810 is on a distinguished road

Before you kill yourself, get the right size ball, connect the trailer to the truck, lock it down, drop the ramp, load the trailer, heavy end forward.

Good luck!
------->DAYTONA#03115 "AmbeRam"
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

It sounds like you have the right ball. If you look up and under the area the ball locks into on the trailer you will see how the mechanisim works. There is kind of a semi circular piece that locks onto the ball. I've always found that pushing the trailer backwards helps the lock go down once you have the trailer hooked up to the ball. Yeah, I've been known to kick it down also.

Another hint drive the UTV onto the trailer until you see the back of your truck drop down some. You want some tongue weight. I think 10% is the rule with a bumper pull trailer.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Speaking of load securement I drive an 18 wheeler truck and yesterday I saw a flatbed dump truck(a c70 Chevy or about that size) lose a big generator on wheels. Left the red light and it rolled off from being improperly if at all secured.

Use straps on the front and back of the UTV. Make sure all are tight with no slack. Lock thr UTV in the lowest possible gear and park brake firmly set.

Do all that you should be golden.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Rep:15
eethomas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teryxrider View Post
This is correct, the lever is up when I lower it onto the ball. At this point, the lever does not lock into place downwards. When the trailer arm is away from the ball, I can easily lift the lever up and down by pressing the trigger. When it is on the ball, it goes down partially but not enough to engage the locking mechanism and lock into place.
If you look under the coupling at the locking mechanism, there should be a nut on the locking arm. The locking mechanism can be loosened or tightened by adjusting this nut. Sounds like yours is just a little too tight. Try backing off of this nut a little just until you can lock it down. Make sure that you don't back off too much. Sounds like about a half turn will do it. Try a half turn at a time and when you can lock it down STOP RIGHT THERE!! DO NOT LOOSEN ANY MORE!!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2767
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Working at an RV dealership it is extremely scary seeing how many people try to tow with the wrong size ball and all the errors they make. Great responses by members here.
If the latch is still not closing when there is weight on the ball.. Eithor push the trailer back or move the truck forward a bit.. The ball could be sitting to far back on the coupler and causing the latch from being able to properly close down. And yes always make sure to cross the chains and to plug in all electrical and that all lights/ brakes are working properly before ever leaving for a destination. A large percentage of accidents happen 5 minutes from home or 5 minutes from reaching a destination.

Always make sure that the UTV is properly secured with straps. It is always better to overkill and have the load properly secure then to underkill and risk the chance of having a UTV flying off the back of your trailer into traffic when a sudden traffic problem happens (being cut off, loss of control).
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Rep:13
teryxrider is on a distinguished road

A quick update to thank you all for your advice. The tips i received here were spot on. I adjusted the nut under the coupler and the tow ball fits perfectly into the trailer arm and everything locks into place perfectly. I've now managed to load up the UTV without any issues. Much appreciated!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Rep:15
eethomas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teryxrider View Post
A quick update to thank you all for your advice. The tips i received here were spot on. I adjusted the nut under the coupler and the tow ball fits perfectly into the trailer arm and everything locks into place perfectly. I've now managed to load up the UTV without any issues. Much appreciated!
Good Deal. Glad you got all of your issues corrected. Now go have fun & stay safe out there.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

At first, OP looked like a troll post for sure. Then I thought if not, these guys are going to tear this dude up.

After reading.... WOW, well done guys

Reps to all as i can