DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
SmallV8Guy is on a distinguished road
Default 1st to 2nd Gear problem

I have a 2010 Ram 4.7 and It feels like the truck takes a while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Like I can actually feel the truck pull and pull when it starts shifting and then it goes into 2nd It isn't an extremely long time. If anything is say it takes like around 2 seconds to shift. But the other gears shift normally. And if it doesn't take a while to shift then it just shifts hard. I have an appointment next Tuesday at the dealership and I'm still under the factory warranty, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys beforehand. Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:491
TransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of light

Your dealer will want to ride with you with a scan tool to monitor Current Gear, Target Gear, and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) State. That will show what's going on. The Target Gear will change from 1 to 2 at the very start of the shift. Current Gear will change from 1 to 2 at the end of the shift.

They might also monitor the engine torque. My guess is that maybe the engine torque is falling off (for some reason) just before the 1-2 shift begins (making it feel like the start of the shift, when in fact it hasn't started yet). Now it is normal for the trans to cut the engine torque DURING the shift (during the last half of the shift, actually), but if the torque drops BEFORE the shift starts (and assuming you're just not sliding down the normal torque curve as engine speed increases past the peak torque), then that may be the problem. Could also be that the trans shift adaptives have learned to a wacky value, in which case they should simply try a quicklearn procedure on the trans and see if that helps.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
SmallV8Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Your dealer will want to ride with you with a scan tool to monitor Current Gear, Target Gear, and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) State. That will show what's going on. The Target Gear will change from 1 to 2 at the very start of the shift. Current Gear will change from 1 to 2 at the end of the shift.

They might also monitor the engine torque. My guess is that maybe the engine torque is falling off (for some reason) just before the 1-2 shift begins (making it feel like the start of the shift, when in fact it hasn't started yet). Now it is normal for the trans to cut the engine torque DURING the shift (during the last half of the shift, actually), but if the torque drops BEFORE the shift starts (and assuming you're just not sliding down the normal torque curve as engine speed increases past the peak torque), then that may be the problem. Could also be that the trans shift adaptives have learned to a wacky value, in which case they should simply try a quicklearn procedure on the trans and see if that helps.
Wouldn't something like that turn on the check engine light? Because it's not on
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:491
TransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of lightTransEngineer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallV8Guy View Post
Wouldn't something like that turn on the check engine light? Because it's not on
I'm not sure whether it would or not.