DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 DODGE RAM Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
SIC09 is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone had an issue with there paint?

Hey guys, i don't post much, just like to read around. with my 09 1500, im getting all theses "specs of rust" all over, mainly on the tailgate but still throughout the whole truck. i live in NM/Texas and i thought it was sand damage, since my ins. covers that i told them and they sent me to the body-shop. The guy at the body-shop said its not sand damage, that i should bring it to the dealership cause it looks almost like a defect. where rust is coming though the paint.

The specs are really small, its not as if they were stone chips, that start rusting. my truck just hit the 50K mark and i take really good care of it.

So my next step is going to the dealer to see what they say but i figured ill ask on here 1st.

has anyone had this same issue? cause im from NY and when i had my older cars/trucks out there they didn't even do this.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 1500 Ram - Quad Cab
Trim Level: TRX 4 Off Road
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl / Light Greystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Rocky Harbour is on a distinguished road

Considering how many complaints I have seen on this forum with sub par paint on their 4th generation Dodge Rams, myself included. It would only make sense that now that they are getting 5 years old that problems like these would surface.

Keep us posted on how your dealer resolves this issue. :
Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Trim Level: ST
Color: Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:16
Pimppapa1977 is on a distinguished road

Keep us posted!! I have to say I was shocked at the shotty paint on these vehicles as well. Hell when I pulled the chrome grill to spray it, the fake chrome spray peeled off in sheets..Im happy I painted my shit now, or I would be rolling around with my center grill peeling.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
cantrell is on a distinguished road

ive kind of noticed the same problem with my truck a few months back i found 2 or 3 spots on my tailgate and one next to my grill so far there not to bad but if i find many more itll start getting bad let us know what the dealer says
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:229
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

No problem with the paint here, only water spots from the crappy super hard water we have to deal with.

Truck sits out in the blistering central California sun and no issues. I do try to keep it waxed at least twice a year.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

The paint AND metal on these dodge`s ALL suck...PERIOD. Open your doors, look around, you can see bare metal everywhere, shows clearly right thru the paint...!!!!!!! At first, i thought it was just my truck, but i`ve seen so many shitty paint jobs on these 3rd & 4th gen dodge trucks, its just plain sickening, especially for what we pay for them...!!!!!!! Mine is (2010) starting to rust badly everywhere, right thru the paint. I`ve washed AND waxed this truck more than i ever have with any other vehicle i`ve ever owned. Its ok, dodge wont get another sale out of me again. Guess i should have known better... a guy at work has a 2007, the box is falling right off his dodge hemi truck because ther is NOTHING left of it... rotted right off the frame. Another guy at work has a 2008 dodge hemi truck, his has holes the size of baseballs right thru the sides of his box right over each rear wheel. The chevys and the fords in our parking lot at work are quite a bit older, not EVEN NEARLY as rusted... paint might be starting to bubble at the most, but none have huge ass holes THRU THE BODY PANELS like the dodges.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
Rep:49
thebluegoat is on a distinguished road

Mine is a 2011 and just noticed today that the paint is bubbling on the front passenger side fender. About 17 little bubbles.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

I have a 2009 the first year I was out of the country four about 4months and the truck sat in the drive in Seattle from about november time an open environment.The November before last we were away for over six months this time the truck was on the coast in Northern Cal again in the open but surrounded by Redwoods as of yet I see no rust and the paint is in excellent condition. The only place for rust is the chrome on the side steps.I believe that some of the trucks built early 2009 for many reasons were some of the best Dodge built which is unusual for a new model year .
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:26
rockyram21 is on a distinguished road

I have a few spots on the rear bumper that look like rust to me.It's a Sport so it's painted.Took it to the dealer,they submitted some photos for Chrysler and they said no coverage.So I think I will call Chrysler Canada direct,just have to get the case # from the dealer.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

My 2009 does not have any real signs of major paint problems like that. Maybe because of the color but I have to agree. This is the second orange 09 that I have owned and it sure is doing very well for being the first year of the new generation.

Chrome... in moderation.