DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I will follow thru and post my findings on this thread tomorrow.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ps View Post
Caledon chrysler. They said the MDS hemi engine should not run on synthetic oil. it was built to run on reg oil and You can actually damage the engine if yo do. I believe them, why wouldnt they want to take my money? Ask for yourself 1 (877) 756-4219
Thanks!
I was not challenging you....I just find it odd that a dealer would say Synthetic can actually damage the engine when proof after proof states otherwise.
At the end of the day it comes down to viscosity vs regular/synthetic oil.

I have now been on synthetic oil for the last 27,000 km's and have zero issues.
Like I said, the moment I switched to it, my truck noticeably drove different in a better way.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 outdoorsme
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
C0ps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly @ BP View Post
Thanks!
I was not challenging you....I just find it odd that a dealer would say Synthetic can actually damage the engine when proof after proof states otherwise.
At the end of the day it comes down to viscosity vs regular/synthetic oil.

I have now been on synthetic oil for the last 27,000 km's and have zero issues.
Like I said, the moment I switched to it, my truck noticeably drove different in a better way.
I need to call dodge now. I have always in favor for synthetic until this dealership scared me away from it. Hopefully grubrunner will shed some light soon. He is calling the dealership as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

That is an interesting position on synthetic oil. I am not sure I have ever heard that one before.
Eric

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ps View Post
I need to call dodge now. I have always in favor for synthetic until this dealership scared me away from it. Hopefully grubrunner will shed some light soon. He is calling the dealership as well.
What I have learnt is that those who do not know 100% of what they are talking about will always stick to what is safe, and in this case already in the truck (regular oil).
Now this comes across as them being honest and there for your best interest, but really its to hide a lack of knowledge.

Now, I am by no means 100% knowledgeable on this topic as many here are, but I am always a firm believer of synthetic oil and its usage and have always used synthetic oil.

Sure it cost a tad more, but its better oil, last longer and requires less frequent oil changes.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

What ^^^^ he said I am dumfounded.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Sport
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:16
racersmokey is on a distinguished road
Angry

They should both have there asses fired! Hand them an owners manual from a ram truck and have them read it(or read it to them)under oil recommendations.It tells you in black and white you can run synthetic! What a bunch of door knobs,it ain't a friggin farm tractor for god sake!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I made the call earlier today and below is a transcript - to the best of my recollection - of the conversation I had with the female in the service department.

I let you make up your own mind and come to your conclusion as I'll keep my comments to myself.

Enjoy.

Her: Good morning, it's a great day at Caledon Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep. This is [name withheld] in Service Department. How can I help you?

Me: Good morning [name withheld], I'm visiting a friend here from out of town and noticed upon arrival this morning that I had accumulated a lot more miles than I figured, and am due for an engine oil and oil filter change. Can you help me with that before I head back home this weekend? I really want to get it done and get it done at your dealership based on my buddy's feedback.

Her: Absolutely sir. What do you have and when did you want to bring it in for an oil change?

Me: Well, I just wanted to clear a couple of things up before I book it in. I drive a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. My buddy told me that your dealership's service department doesn't recommend fully-synthetic engine oil for the Ram 1500's with the 5.7L Hemi. Is this correct and why? I really want to use fully-synthetic .

Her: If the owner's manual doesn't call for it, then yes, we don't recommend fully-synthetic oil sir, yes that is correct. But we can use whatever oil you want..... it's your truck.

Me: I appreciate that ma'am but I'm more concerned as to why you wouldn't use fully-synthetic engine oil or recommend it as a better alternative that regular mineral oil to your customers? I mean, the proven benefits are overwhelming....

Her: Well sir, like I said, the owner's manual doesn't require or recommend the use fully-synthetic oil so we don't recommend it.

Me: Yes ma'am I understand that, and even though the owner's manual may not recommend it as far as the information contained in the manual goes, it does not say not to use it either. Don't you think if Chrysler did not recommend the use of fully-synthetic engine oil on these engines, they would have cleared advised so? In fact, it makes no mention of using synthetic engine oil harming anything...... It doesn't make mention of synthetic oil, period. My concern is my buddy was advised by your dealership's service department NOT to use fully-synthetic engine oil because of complications to the vehicle's MDS system; or something along those lines. Is this correct?

Her: Yes sir, that is correct. Because of the MDS system on these trucks, we've been advised by Chrysler that fully-synthetic engine oil should not be used as it may harm the vehicle's MDS system and it may not function properly. They also advised us that only 5W-20 grade oil should be used. We follow this protocol to avoid any warranty issues down the track.

Me: Harm the MDS? Advised by who? By Chrysler's Headquarters?

Her: Yes.

Me: Well, my source says otherwise, ma'am.

Her: Your source?

Me: Yes. Earlier this year, at a local car show, along with some friends, I had lunch with a senior design team member for Chrysler's Street & Racing Technology and he clearly advised me that the MDS system in the 5.7L Hemi motors would not be harmed in any shape or form by, not only the use of fully-synthetic engine oil, but the oil viscosity up to and including 50W. This was concluded over a app. 250K mile testing period they had performed.

Actually ma'am he strongly advised and recommend the use of fully-synthetic motor oil on the 4th Generation Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi engines as it brings them to optimal operating conditions at all times and prolongs oil change periods and, ultimately, the engine's lifespan.

I can give you a name and number if you like.....? I still have his card..... ?

** Silence **

Me: Can you give me a name at Chrysler so I can call them and speak directly with the person who claimed this? All my research debunks his beliefs.

Her: Sir, this was feedback from our Chrysler Certified Technicians who frequently take classes...... Plus the owner's manual says to use regular engine oil and not synthetic.

Me: With all due respect ma'am that's not what the owner's manual says. Here's what it says, quote - It is important to use only 5W-20 oil for proper operation of the Multiple Displacement System. Use of other weight oils will affect the on/off timing window of the MDS system and may also result in unbalanced engine wear...... Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS). Refer to “Multi-Displacement System” ....... There's no mention that the use of fully-synthetic engine oil is harmful in any way or is not recommended.

Her: You have the manual in front of you?

Me: Yes ma'am I'm quoting directly from it..... Chrysler, according to the vehicle's owner's manual makes no mention of type of oil but rather the grade or viscosity of oil recommended.

Her: Well sir, we don't recommend or use fully-synthetic motor oil on the 5.7L Hemis. But like I said, it's your truck and we will use fully-synthetic if you want.

** Silence **

Her: It's no different to using 89-grade fuel.

Me: What do you mean, ma'am?

Oh no she didn't go there!

Her: Well, if you have the owner's manual in front of you, you'll see that it says to use 89-grade fuel only.

* Me quickly fiddling trying to find the correct page in the user's manual **

Me: Only as in exclusively?

Her: Yes.

Me: That's not correct ma'am. Once again with all due respect. Let ...... me .... quote.... you ..... directly...... from the manual - This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance.

The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.

** Silence **

Me: You there?

Her: Yes sir, I'm here.... I have other customers waiting here sir...... do you want to book in your truck for an oil change or not? We will be more than happy to use whatever oil you want. Or you can bring in your own. We use Pennzoil and have it in regular, semi or synthetic.

Me: I think I'll give it a miss, ma'am..... I don't want to deal with a dealership who advocates false information and spoon-feeds that to their customers...... There is overwhelming documented evidence from people in the know AND oil companies who whistle a tune directly contradicting what you and your dealership's staff have their customers believing and what you've told me on the phone today during our brief interaction.

** Silence **

Me: That's what I thought ma'am..... Thank you for your time and have a pleasant day.

Click!

Grub out!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting your conversation Grub. Oh boy! I am speechless. The OP would be well advised to steer clear of that dealership.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Misses the Champ.

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3248
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

That was so great I just read it twice!!!! How the hell could you assert that you know the best oil for this engine when, in fact you have no clue? Embarrassing!!! Way to go, Grub! Thanks for the follow-up, and the entertaining excerpt of your phone exchange. (I'm going to read that one more time!) LOL.