DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Doh! New truck does not fit garage - anyone remove shark fin?

11K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  tac40 
#1 ·
I just got my 2014 Ram Sport CC yesterday, posting in 2013 as someone may have had a similar problem with a 2013.

I decided to take my truck to my office building to verify that it fits in the parking garage. It states at the entrance 6'6" and it fits, sorta. I can go up the ramps between floors, but I can't go down! :doh: That stupid shark fin on the roof is too high. I had to back down the ramps to get out of there (so glad I went today and not monday morning).

Has anyone removed the shark fin from the roof, or is there a lower profile version? At the dealer I saw some trucks that had a flat antenna, not sure what option package that is (non-nav?). I don't listen to xm so I don't really care if it doesn't function. I'd remove it all if there was some way to plug the hole (welding in a piece of steel is the last resort)

And before the suggestions come in, I am not interested in lowering the truck, changing to smaller tires, letting the air out of the tires or chopping the roof :4-looney:

#5 ·
Then what do you have?

I though all 13' and above had the bigger shark fin antenna for the GPS/Nav.....

:4-dontknow:

Reactions: Asur
#8 ·
The '12 and down Rams had the NAV antenna under the dash, not sure on the 13+ but since you add NAV to certain radios its possible they made the external antenna and all-in-one thing.

But the NAV antenna isnt that large, my guess is it has something to do with the 911/uconnect access/apps setup. Its pretty large and ugly compared to the older ones.

#11 ·
Ok, here's what I don't understand...... How can your truck fit into the garage going forward & going up, but doesn't fit going forward coming down? It seems to me that there should be no difference in the height of your vehicle & that if the truck fit going forward going in, then it should fit going forward coming out....... I'm befuddled on this point, as I don't understand what difference it would make to the height if you are going forward or in reverse.

Charlie

#13 ·
13 Nav and mine has the flat antenna???

#14 ·
Ram has been using 2 different styles... There's the shark fin and the puke.

Some say the shark fin has better reception...

BTW, if need be, you can deflate your tires down to get in/out. I use to have to do that with my Expedition... You might get luck and only have to deflate the front tires... Just make sure you carry an air pump..

#22 ·
Sharkfin be da*$#%!

Hi,

I have the EXACT same issue with mine, except that mine hit the ceiling of the parking garage, then pushed rearward and down and dented the rear of the cab roof. 62 miles on my new truck and I dented my roof. Ugh. I took it off for the moment and have it sitting on the top edge of my rear seat. I do *not* have Nav, but have XM. Was considering swapping it for the flat style seen on many 2012s, 2013s & 2014s, but have nothing but conflicting info regarding possible compatibility. Mine has two leads and one is for the XM antenna. I tried plugging in a single-lead generic cheapie and although the XM works fine, I get an "antenna failure" message on the screen.

I need to sit down and read through this entire thread as a solution is likely here. If not, I'll purse it further and post my findings.

--mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.