DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Brown
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
GlennnFrisco is on a distinguished road

I just started getting this in the EVIC about a week ago. Seems to only occur after sitting overnight and even then it is somewhat random.
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 5.7 SPORT
Rep:27
Ram Dude is on a distinguished road

Well if anyone is getting a "Low Voltage" message you may wanna read. This message popped up in my EVIC one time about a month ago then went away after about 5 mins of driving, so I paid no attention to it. It happend once more, then happend a third time and stayed on. I dropped my truck off at the dealer and they found a loose nut on the alternator which was causing the belt to slip not allowing the alternator to recharge the system. Just some food for thought................
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:11
firemarshallvin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up RAM DUDE. But that's the "other" voltage warning, the one that I would be concerned about getting. The one that the OP brought up "Battery Low Start Engine to Change Ride Height" seems specific to the air-suspension, and not the overall trucks well being, if that makes sense. Def be cautious if you get a General Low Voltage alarm, which should be accompanied by a red Telltale of a battery icon which indicates a fault in the charging system.

Add-ons:
14" Magnaflow, BAK FiberMax Tonneau, Misc Whelen Emergency Lights and Switchpak.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 1500 Laramie Crew 6'4
Trim Level: Laramie 8Speed 4x4
Color: True Pearl Blue
Rep:68
Cookie Monster will become famous soon enough

I too have gotten this. After doing research on it I found out this is normal. it DOES NOT mean the battery is too low to start your truck. It means the battery is to low to engage lifting or lowering or self leveling of the air suspension. Because the air suspension is always on due to self leveling it kicks in the compressor. what they did to stop the compressor from draining the battery to the point of it being dead. They put a limiter on it so when the battery reaches a certain level it disables the compressor till the power level requirement is met.

I believe from doing a few tests it seems it is around the 11.5v - 11v mark. at this voltage the battery still has enough cold cranking amps to start the truck.

Usually this will kick in if the truck needs to do a lot of self leveling while parked. this can be from simple as letting it sit for long time without starting. Usually I have found that the self leveling happens more on windy nights or when it rains. this is enough to engage the compressor enough times to trip the battery warning and disable the compressor. I have also noticed it happen often if I leave stuff in the bed of the truck.

Either way this is nothing to worry about and when you see that message it just means exactly what it says. That you need to start the truck to use the air suspension.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

I have noticed the self leveling engage with even a slight change cargo payload. I mean slight...as in my golf clubs.

Sounds like its just going to be "one of those things" that wont work for me since its probably done so 70% of the time. I almost always have stuff in the bed though, so maybe ill take everything out and see if on a calm sunny day/clear night that it works.

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Outdoorsman 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black/Grey
Rep:25
Rah is on a distinguished road

Do you have the 8.4 radio and EVIC?

When my truck was doing the randomly lighting up the gauges glitch I got this error a lot...and one time my truck was dead completely (really sucks when you're in a power outage!)

Well one of the fixes for this was the update of the radio software. That solved the lighting up randomly gauges and I haven't seen the low batt warning since....

I guess what I'm saying is, you may want to keep an eye out for the dash lighting up glitch--it may be draining your battery without you knowing it!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road

I get the same "Battery Low...." I guess we decided it is all about the ride suspension. That is good to know.

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDusty View Post
I get the same "Battery Low...." I guess we decided it is all about the ride suspension. That is good to know.
I havent had any other issues with it other than sometimes not being able to lower it from the key fob. So hopefully that is the extent of it.

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

I have had this message pop up once, and I actually saw it on a brand new one I was looking at still on the lot.

Certainly doesn't seem like the battery is low, truck starts no problem. I suspect the computer is like someone else said looking for a voltage a bit higher than can be expected from a car battery thats sitting idle.

Maybe they will come up with a software update or something.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
ferret is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
I too have gotten this. After doing research on it I found out this is normal. it DOES NOT mean the battery is too low to start your truck. It means the battery is to low to engage lifting or lowering or self leveling of the air suspension. Because the air suspension is always on due to self leveling it kicks in the compressor. what they did to stop the compressor from draining the battery to the point of it being dead. They put a limiter on it so when the battery reaches a certain level it disables the compressor till the power level requirement is met.

I believe from doing a few tests it seems it is around the 11.5v - 11v mark. at this voltage the battery still has enough cold cranking amps to start the truck.

Usually this will kick in if the truck needs to do a lot of self leveling while parked. this can be from simple as letting it sit for long time without starting. Usually I have found that the self leveling happens more on windy nights or when it rains. this is enough to engage the compressor enough times to trip the battery warning and disable the compressor. I have also noticed it happen often if I leave stuff in the bed of the truck.

Either way this is nothing to worry about and when you see that message it just means exactly what it says. That you need to start the truck to use the air suspension.
Yup I would say that about sums it up. Thanks Cookie Monster