DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
bavspeed is on a distinguished road
Default New 2012 vs. keeping my 2008??

Hello All Ram Aficionados!

My name is David and I'm considering trading in my 2008 Ram Quad Cab Lone Star Edition 4x2 for a new 2012 a dealer has nearby where i made my original purchase 5 years ago..
The dilemma for me is the truck is in great condition, 51k miles, paid off, no problems at all, has the new-for-2008 upgraded 4.7 v-8 engine.
but the truck is relatively base...I added spray-in bedliner, Undercover bed cover in black, Westin full length step bars.
Nothing fancy, but a nice truck.

The dealer has a 2012 Ram Laramie Limited 4x4, hard loaded w nav, ventilated and heated seats, Hemi, etc. Don't like that it doesn't come w tow hooks, but other than that it's pretty choice!

I'm confused and looking for advice.
Already have a negotiated deal...
$14k for mine on trade and $14k off of 51k sticker price on the 2012....

Would you do it?
Any regrets on a 2012?
Hemi vs. newer version of the 4.7?
anyone else made this upgrade? thoughts?

The 2012 feels pretty heavy...but I also like that it has 4x4 capabilities, despite my almost never needing to utilize>>>

Completely Confused and thanks in advance!!!

dp
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

If your asking opinions and would like to know what I would do in your place its a simple answer for me, I would keep the 2008, if you had a deal on a 2014 then it might be different, but I personally would not trade up a paid 2008 for a 2012. Just my opinion as asked.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:133
fudrock will become famous soon enoughfudrock will become famous soon enough

I came from a fairly bare bones Dakota to a '12 sport. I had a bit of buyer's remorse and second thoughts before even finishing the paperwork at the dealership, but today I have no regrets. I love this truck more and more each day of ownership.

If you feel good about the truck and you feel good about the deal, I say go for it. All those unnecessary creature comforts on the Laramie will feel plush compared to the hard plastic interior you're probably rolling around in now and you'll wonder how you ever did without. heh.

Just curious, how many miles? Trade-in? Dealer demo? Does the dealer have service records? That would influence my decision more than anything besides price.

Also, and you may know this already but; adding front tow hooks is a fairly easy job.
4" BDS Lift Kit w/ 3" Rear Coil Springs and Fox Shocks - Bilstein 5100 Shocks @ 2.1 - 20x9 XD Badlands -12 Offset - 35X12.50 Mickey Thompson ATZ - WeatherTec Digitalfit Floor Mats Front and Back - Bakflip VP - 18" Magnaflow Exhaust - Debadged - Smittybilt/NFAB Stainless Nerf Bars - - Bully Dog GT - 2013 OE Projectors - Cabin Air Filter

Last edited by fudrock; 08-26-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added a comment
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
bavspeed is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys for the replies...
I'm actually leaning towards keeping the 08.
The truck isn't my daily and I use it mostly for tasks, but no heavy lifting in general and rare real off-road stuff.
the 2012 is incredible, no doubt, but I'm just not feeling it as much as I did on Saturday.
The vehicle only has 77 miles on the odometer and is as new other than sitting out for a year and a half at a couple of different dealers..

??

dp
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Color: True Blue
Rep:133
fudrock will become famous soon enoughfudrock will become famous soon enough

Wow, that's kinda surprising that they have a new '12 on the lot when the '14s are about to start showing up.

If all you're using the truck for is grunt work, then yeah, I'd keep the '08 simply because it's paid for and will haul mulch just as well as the new truck would.
4" BDS Lift Kit w/ 3" Rear Coil Springs and Fox Shocks - Bilstein 5100 Shocks @ 2.1 - 20x9 XD Badlands -12 Offset - 35X12.50 Mickey Thompson ATZ - WeatherTec Digitalfit Floor Mats Front and Back - Bakflip VP - 18" Magnaflow Exhaust - Debadged - Smittybilt/NFAB Stainless Nerf Bars - - Bully Dog GT - 2013 OE Projectors - Cabin Air Filter
Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest question I have is do you want a truck payment? That was the biggest deciding factor for me. I did not, and my 05 still has a ton of life left. The 4.7 is a ton easier to work on, too. And you kinda gotta question why a 2yo truck is still sitting on the lot. Does the warranty start the day you buy it or is it 2/3 gone? I'm thinking they would have to sweeten the deal by at least another 5K before even considering it. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Tequila
Rep:17
jpatt49 is on a distinguished road

My opinion is keep your current truck. You can add a new navi/dvd unit to your truck for a lot less.

Upgrading to a Hemi 4x4 would probably cut your current gas mileage in half.

Nothing you can do about heated/cooled seats. I must admit I love mine, but I would not take on a car payment.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I have a 12 sport and I love it. You are getting a hot deal on a 12 Laramie and will instantly be in a position of equity if you ever chose to trade it in. I say pull the trigger.

Eric

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!

Last edited by Bully's Performance; 08-26-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: White
Rep:33
TXRam1978 is on a distinguished road

To make this happen, they'd have to offer another 5k or so off the 2012 for me to consider it. 2014's are fixing to hit the lots and there is a reason this one is still sitting on there....

Again though, it's not your daily driver and do you really want another payment?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
The biggest question I have is do you want a truck payment? That was the biggest deciding factor for me. I did not, and my 05 still has a ton of life left. The 4.7 is a ton easier to work on, too. And you kinda gotta question why a 2yo truck is still sitting on the lot. Does the warranty start the day you buy it or is it 2/3 gone? I'm thinking they would have to sweeten the deal by at least another 5K before even considering it. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.
I think the OP made up his mind to keep the'08. But, I agree with you on questioning why a 2012 Laramie is still on the lot. My dealer had some left-over ST's (including one Express QC) and a Tradesman. But a Laramie? Seems fishy they could not have moved this truck w/ deep discounts for over a year and a half.