DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Drouse is on a distinguished road
Default Cold Air Intake Questions and Help

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums but have ready many reviews and threads on here. I have decided I would like to put a cold air intake on my truck, I have a 2013 dodge ram 1500.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 CAI and have a couple questions to help make my final decision.

I had the chance to ride in a buddys 2010 with a K&N 63 I believe; as a passenger I could even see and feel the gain in throttle response and of course the sound.

The two CAI I am looking at are the S&B and the Airaid. I realize with out more mods the HP,Torque and MPG gains will be very minimal. However the throttle response gain alone was enough for me to want one.

I know with the 2013 there was an issue with ac lines being in the way and have contacted both companies S&B said they have resolved the issue and I am waiting to hear back from Airaid.

What I am hoping to gain with the CAI is the throttle response and that deep throaty growl when in the higher rpm range. I was hoping people could share there experiences with these two CAI so I can make my final decision.

I have one other question my truck does not have duel exhaust will this be a problem with the CAI and increased air flow. I do plan on doing the exhaust and other mods at some point, but tackle one thing at a time.

Thank you I really appreciate all feed back!
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

I know many people on here are extremely happy with the S&B intake. I thought about getting one before I stumbled across my intake I have now. As for the increased air flow, the 4th gens stock intake actually flows quite well and the you wont be increasing the air flow enough for the exhaust size to matter. In fact I think you would be hard pressed to worry about that until you put a surpercharger or a turbo on to really worry about that.
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
llerod34 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2012 ram with the K&N 63. love it sounds awesome when my band kicks in. Just remember if you take in more you need to equal it out with an exhaust.
I found a deal on a full flow master cat back system for $200 locally on CL. Could be happier with the selection they play well together.

Duals are nice thats what came on mine, you could find a rear bumper from a truck with duals and use that with the new exhaust.

Last edited by llerod34; 12-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1029
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouse View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums but have ready many reviews and threads on here. I have decided I would like to put a cold air intake on my truck, I have a 2013 dodge ram 1500.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 CAI and have a couple questions to help make my final decision.

I had the chance to ride in a buddys 2010 with a K&N 63 I believe; as a passenger I could even see and feel the gain in throttle response and of course the sound.

The two CAI I am looking at are the S&B and the Airaid. I realize with out more mods the HP,Torque and MPG gains will be very minimal. However the throttle response gain alone was enough for me to want one.

I know with the 2013 there was an issue with ac lines being in the way and have contacted both companies S&B said they have resolved the issue and I am waiting to hear back from Airaid.

What I am hoping to gain with the CAI is the throttle response and that deep throaty growl when in the higher rpm range. I was hoping people could share there experiences with these two CAI so I can make my final decision.

I have one other question my truck does not have duel exhaust will this be a problem with the CAI and increased air flow. I do plan on doing the exhaust and other mods at some point, but tackle one thing at a time.

Thank you I really appreciate all feed back!
I have an S&B on mine and the throttle response from the butt dyno was a thumbs up but it wasnt anything to brag about on paper im sure. The sound increase was incredible definitely lets you know you have a v8 under the hood. like Gecko said the 4th gens flow fantastic from the factory so you wont be gaining a whole lot but the other great choice for the 4th gens is the vararam air grabber they look phenomenal and every one says they see a little more mpg out cruising with them as well
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:26
hodge is on a distinguished road

I just put the S&B on my truck. The intake is far nicer than any K&N kit I've seen. Very sturdy and solid. The "glass" top makes it look pretty sweet under the hood too. Sounds good too, but nothing like the 3rd gens.. at least not the one I have rode in ('07 with K&N). You can really only hear this when getting into the high rpm's, which I like about it. It's not annoyingly noisy and loud every time you increase throttle.

I installed a diablo tuner at the same time so I can't say much about the power gains for just the CAI, but combined, my truck feels great and I have picked up some pretty impressive fuel mileage.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
FERNMAN is on a distinguished road

just make sure its a plastic one the metal ones suck more heat.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
ScurvyDawg is on a distinguished road

I just put a K&N 63 on mine. I can feel the throttle response is better, but I'm not convinced there is any better power. The noise is awesome though. I have yet to run a full tank of gas with it on, so I don't know if the MPGs are improved, yet.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SXT
Drouse is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for you help, I'm going to go with the S&B
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:65
0321Devildog will become famous soon enough

Don't forget about the Vararam!

DSCN0428.JPG

Very noticeable power increase and looks AWESOME!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Trim Level: R/T
Color: White
Rep:86
chrisb38002 will become famous soon enough

I like the look of the S&B myself, but the Vararam is a cool looking unit as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (55.5 KB, 16 views)