DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

While you're waiting to hear from Ripp,
a quick call to Arrington for a quote wont hurt.

They have a Procharger kit listed for 09-10 Hemi Rams on sale for $5177
Although they dont show a listing for a 12', I know they Tuned one for UNBROKEN's 12' Ram R/T...

...not sure how much they charged for that,
but I think he just sent them his PCM and they tuned it and shipped it back to him in California.

http://www.shophemi.com/c-1104-centr...rchargers.aspx

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-27-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
topsub will become famous soon enoughtopsub will become famous soon enough

Alright i'll give them a call tomorrow. The RIPP kit does look very easy to install, I wonder if procharger is the same.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsub View Post
Alright i'll give them a call tomorrow. The RIPP kit does look very easy to install, I wonder if procharger is the same.
Very similar kit/install
only real difference is the intercooler is Air to Air
Ripp's is Water to Air with a heat exchanger.

I do like the way Ripp has the air filter mounted lower and closer to a cold air source.
I have mine setup with a couple Ram air feeder tubes from my lower front bumper cowl (removed for race season)

snaps back in place for Winter

If I didn't grab my Ripp Kit on sale,
Procharger would have been my next choice.

I'm a Huge fan of Centrifugal blowers,
spools up power similar to a Turbo gradually for a drivetrain friendly boost
...But without the lag because its crank/belt driven instead of waiting for exhaust (commonly referred to as turbo lag) to bring the blowers rpm's up.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The procharger kit is just as simple to install. Everything comes with the kit and their directions are really simple to work with. I just dis the install on mine, but i installed my own air-to-air intercooler as I will very shortly be making more HP than their HO intercooler could handle. I went with the Procharger because it has room to grow, the RIPP kit is very limited in its upgrades. I can do pulley swaps and boost the hell out of it and tuning is pretty straightforward with Josh @ HHP doing the tune, but the RIPP hasn't been proven when it comes to beefing up the boost. Just an FYI. If you plan to keep it tame and as a DD, then you really don't have much to worry about.

Arrington has tuned several '12s, but mostly by reflashing the PCM with an '11 interface and then making changes from there. The do have to have the PCM in their hands to do it though. The guys at Arrington know these hemis inside and out, you'd be in safe hands with them. If you were to get the procharger through them, they would be able to handle all your tuning needs, but you'd still have to go to Mike for the trans. I would make one recommendation for the procharger kit... buy a different waterneck, the setup they have is really goofy.

Which way you go doesn't matter, the guys at Bully's can hook you up with the RIPP kit, Arrington can handle the Procharger, and Mike can build the L&M trans.

BRH and I differ in our ways of increasing the safety of our systems. The water/meth is cheap insurance with the benefit of added power, I personally run a nitrous shot for more cooling/power but run a forged block that handles the higher combustion temps. I may run meth in the future, but I'd like to see how far I can push my block before I start injecting alcohol.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM

For the record Kurtis,

When I adjusted my shift points by just 200rpm (5800rpm) on my Trinity
My boost gauge hit 10psi and scared the crap out of me.
(Water/Meth kit was not installed at the time)

I immediately returned to stock shift points that came with my tune (5600)
and it still hits just over 8psi.

I bet I could hit 12 psi if i just bumped my shift points to 6100-6200
..but I'm no fool, stock piston ring lands wont take even 9 psi without cooling the charge significantly

Mike and Josh have been working on tweaking Ripps tune all week
now that they have a couple Ripp'd rams strapped to the rollers at HHP

I'm holding off installing my trans because Mike said he's still working with Josh
to modify my Ripp tune before he adds his trans tuning and emails it back to me (and Brad)

Big things are just around the corner and if they can help get the tuning on track for the 2012's
It could potentially Sell HUGE numbers of units for both Ripp and L&M Transmissions

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-27-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to hear Mike and Josh are getting more options for the Ripp. Just watch, next you'll be going stroker and upgrading a a YsI trim headunit trying to keep up with me I've got the 3.05 pulley on right now for tuning, but I can still go down to the 2.85 pulley and still not be at the P1's max impeller speed; I can't wait to get my D1 this winter so I can get more CFM at the same pulley size.

I would be very worried about hitting anything over 8psi with those stock pistons, meth injection or not, all it takes is one time of the juice running out and say good by to your block. The one down side to meth injection, if you tune for it rather than use it for insurance, is if you're not careful then you're in a world of hurt. I guess the same can be said for any of our mods of course.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Aint that the truth,

Once the bug bites, gotta have a spare motor and a spare trans for backup.
always have twice as much in the budget that you initially plan for and you might be okay.

Cant wait to get lined up with you, Grant and Brad this Fall at Castrol
it will be a hoot running faster than most of the street legal cars up here when the Ram smack-down comes to town.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I push the skinny pedal

I would love to line up with everybody, but it won't be this year at the rate it's taking to get dialed in... for both of us. You have to be careful what you wish for though with some of the guys I typically race with. Ron's street legal detonator yellow challenger puts down 1100hp and there are 2 grand cherokees making north of 900hp on pump gas and one guy's wife uses it to go get the groceries and kids in. A lot of the ALX guys are in the low 13s to mid 12s with mild mods. I want to get my brick into those numbers and I should be happy if I can be consistent. Gotta love a 5900lb flying brick.

Sounds like Grant has his heads sorted out, he's borrowing my old ones for the rebuild and work, so he shouldn't have any downtime this time around.

[/ThreadJack]
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I want to get my brick into those numbers and I should be happy if I can be consistent. Gotta love a 5900lb flying brick.
That's it in a nutshell

Anyone can by a 12 second car off the showroom floor
(SRT8 Chally, Supercharged Cobra, Camaro ZL1 etc...) and when they run 12's its expected...no suprize...big whoop
but they have to get traction first. I met Ron last year and his 1100HP Arrington Beast could not get hooked

When we pull up and run door to door with them,
win, lose or draw we get respect for actually building something that was never intended to run below 15's

But you dont have to be a track nut to enjoy the benefits
Even on my daily commute to/from work I'm annihilating almost anything on my heavy street tires with an AWD full throttle launch when the traffic light turns green... sure there's a few cars that can get there in ideal conditions, but 2WD is a handicap on our streets with that much power.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-27-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Yeah, Ron has been talking about swapping to a NAG1 from the 6-speed, might be better for traction. Ron's also still learning to drive the beast and even with poor traction he has belted out high 9s, low 10s His daughter's not too shabby either in that furious fushia r/t chally putting down low 12s with spray.

At least you have the weight advantage on me, I've got 2 extra doors and 1 foot of bed length over you. Now, someone I would love to see run is Darell with his turbo'd '03 pushing almost a 50% methanol/fuel injection system.