DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nauvoo is on a distinguished road
Default 180 Thermostat dropped MPGs

Swapped to the 180 Thermostat about three weeks ago and so far MPGs seem to have fallen off by atleast 1. Haven't changed anything else and Im driving as normal. Were headed down to PCB this weekend and it will be my third trip since I purchased the truck so should give me a good comparison. As truck got 18+ when stretched out on tha Interstate. Right now 16.2 is as good as it'll get. Does that mod normally have this affect on MPG? I done the airbox mod bout a month before this one and it looked llike my MPG had come up some, butI had done some towing in that month which brought my avg down and I didnt drive the truck enuff before changing thermostat to get the avg back up. Not necessarily thinking the thermostat mod is good at this point. Tho temps do stay down around 181. Maybe Im trading mileage for longevity. Also this is all based on EVIC and the arrow that coincides with over all avg and the bar that moves with instantaneous mileage are leveled out with each other unless like going down a hill or letting off gas. So Im not expecting avg to come up. Maybe Im being clear enuff to understand. And I havent checked mileage with math, strictly EVIC.

Last edited by Nauvoo; 08-27-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: adding some info
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:7
ExpensiveToys is an unknown quantity at this point

On 2011 and newer Ram's anything with a lower temp setting than the stock thermostat is going to lower your gas mileage unless you live in a hot climate. Will even get worse in the winter if you have cold winters.

The performance profiles of the computer does everything possible to get the engine up to 190 degree zone to maximize fuel efficiency and lower emissions. If you put in a 180 stat it makes it more difficult for the engine to do that so it ends up running a different (warmup) performance profile and does things like not shutting off fuel to engine when coasting and/or keeping MDS from working. Basically its burning extra fuel trying to get engine up to temp. If ambient air temp or engine load isn't enough to get it up to 190 then it will keep burning extra fuel.

Its even worse of a problem on 2013/2014 as I they route engine coolant to a heat exchanger via an electronic thermostat to get transmission up to 190 temp to reduce wear and friction. In colder climates with a 180 thermostat it can start causing premature wear in the transmission.

There is a myth that the 180 thermostat in the 4th gen's helps with engine longevity but its actually bad for the engine and transmission, not to mention fuel economy. Go back to stock thermostat, its must better for your truck.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nauvoo is on a distinguished road

Yea Ill just swap it back. Thats kinda what I figured was goin on. When the avg and instantaneous mileage leveled out at 16.2 I thought there wasnt gonna be much more to gain. Drove the truck to work the other day, which has a good bit of interstate and it never came up. Oh well, I appreciate the response tho.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:106
spp will become famous soon enoughspp will become famous soon enough

Interesting. A lot of the Jetta TDI folks want to get the temp higher for better economy. Stock on the Mk4 Jetta is 195. A lot of people are building their own 200 or 205 degree stats.

I wonder if the same thing would benefit here...