DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: no idea
Color: tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
expat is on a distinguished road
Default slow to engage tranny

Hi,
New here and have a problem with the tranny on my 2005 Ram with 205k.
Awhile ago the truck started to stall at hard stops. I cleaned the throttle valve and it seemed to help quite a bit. Not a 100% but better.
Now the transmission is slow to engage in first gear. It doesn't matter if it's cold or hot and reverse works fine. Takes upwards of 2 seconds to engage and then seems to run ok except that at times it may not engage the other gears at once. That may be to slippery roads or may be the transmission. Hard to tell as I've been babying it and not driving hard as I can't afford the truck to break down completely.
Any Ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:358
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

My first thought would be a rear clutch piston seal with a small cut or tear, which creates a leak, so on a Drive engagement, it takes longer for the clutch to engage. If that's the case, I would expect it to get worse over time, until eventually the trans starts slipping in forward gears at high torque.

You have to pull the trans and tear it down to inspect / replace the rear clutch piston seals, so I'd say for now just keep driving it. Giving it plenty of time to engage, and going light on the gas pedal while driving, will help it to last as long as possible. When it eventually does fail altogether, well, then you'll have to tear into it.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:358
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Gotta modify my previous post....

When you said throttle valve, I was thinking 47RE transmission (4-speed). But now I see you said 2005, so you have a 545RFE transmission, not a 47RE! My mistake!

My comment on a torn clutch piston seal still holds, but it would be your UD clutch piston. How does it do on downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear? Those may also be strange or shuddery if the UD clutch has a leak.

Your dealer could check your UD clutch CVI (clutch volume index) to see if it's way higher than normal (which would indicate a cut seal or other leak).
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: no idea
Color: tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
expat is on a distinguished road
Default tranny help response

Thanks for the tip.
The transmission seems to just take a second or 2 to engage in forward. Reverse and the other gears are ok. Today it did not want pull away from stoplights very well, so I checked the fluid level while it was running in neutral and it was a little low. Put perhaps 1/2 qt. in and that seemed to help on all fronts although it still hesitates going into first, just not as bad. The stall coming to a stop seems to be better also.