DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Sport CC, 5.7L, 8spd
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
bowieknife will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to bowieknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge35 View Post
What cutting edge tech? Uconnect? My smartphone packs more power into a much smaller package. The other issue he complained of was the axles, but they weren't defective they were just labeled wrong (he didn't come right out and say that but since it is a known issue, he used the term "they screwed up", it is really expensive just to change them on a 4x4, and the fact that it was even mentioned in his post I think we can assume that is what happened). I don't think a label maker to correctly mark the gears is cutting edge. Just because it is Chrysler's first time (or even a pickup's first time) having certain options doesn't mean it is cutting edge. Even if it is are we saying that it is ok to ship buggy equipment and not be expected to fix it? I'm baffled by the apparent sentiment that he should just use a map or different GPS because it is too minor to even bring up to our noble friends at Chrysler who are practically giving these vehicles away.

Now, do I think selling the vehicle because of the outlined issues to be a tad extreme? Sure. But as someone who experienced a Uconnect circle the bowl before completely dying I know how incredibly aggravating it is. When the GPS goes out you lose not just your nav but also safety features that let 911, roadside assistance, and stolen vehicle recovery know where the truck is. For me this was the biggest issue since my family often drives the truck and I like having that extra layer of security for them.

When the phone goes you lose all of that plus the apps (including web and smartphone based remote start) and, in my case, Bluetooth.
Then when the radio finally locks up for good you lose too many settings to count...try changing your AC from vent to floor without using the radio.

Ignoring the early or chalking them up to the price of admission (which, in reality, was the $50k price for the truck) just sets you up for more problems down the road no matter how many maps you buy or other GPS units you use instead. I'm not saying we need to pitch a fit or file a class action lawsuit over every single thing but I am saying don't be a doormat...make sure that every single thing that you paid for is fixed to your satisfaction. Unfortunately that commonly means having the entire 8.4AN replaced. The rate of failure in them is high enough that Chrysler has stopped providing software updates to owners and is now making us go to a dealer (even though my dealer used the owner upgradable angle as a selling point). It is shameful that the OP went to two different dealers as well as contacted Chrysler directly and they didn't just take care of this.
Edge, From what I can tell, no one is saying that Chrysler and RAM Dealers shouldn't step up and fix the buggy issues ASAP, just that there are going to be issues. If anything, going through these posts has shown a clear disconnect between Chrysler Corporate, the case managers and the dealers. It's almost dysfunctional the way everyone keeps passing the buck around. There are going to be problems with newer tech no matter what (even new iphones/droids are buggy). How those problems are handled is where things seem to get sideways and fingers start pointing, leaving the consumer with the burden.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Rep:10
rroberts6969 is on a distinguished road

I see all these stories and will not take sides either way as we all know there can be problems with any truck no matter the brand.What I don't see anyone say is "user error" causing some of the problems.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradburyesqu View Post
That is a very naive way of looking at things. It doesn't matter how much you spend people are faluable and people are involved in the process. As long as both those statements are true it doesn't matter how much something costs there will be some that get through the manufacturer with flaws.

I worked for a plant that made heart stints. It was people's lives we were dealing with. Every step of the process we had dedicated inspectors and they were responsible for not just checking the most recent work down but everything before and then there was a final inspection before packaging. Dr's were then expected to inspect the product before putting it in someones body and damaged stents still made it through the plant. Not often but it did happen. I never heard of a death caused by it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it happened.

Human beings will always make mistakes, even if the inspection is done by machine those machines are calibrated by humans. There is no such thing as a perfect product at any price.

Now when you spend $50,000 on something and there is an issue the company should work quickly and diligently to make it right with as little inconveniences to you as possible. But to expect perfection is just not realistic.
Nobody should expect perfection, we are all humans and make mistakes, but paint, wrong gears, jelly in tranny,radios not working after several attempts, that is small compared to surgery equipment. But still, if we had the mentality that just a few quirks are ok, in your old job, people die. To me there's nothing wrong with expecting what you pay for works properly.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graygoose View Post
Nobody should expect perfection, we are all humans and make mistakes, but paint, wrong gears, jelly in tranny,radios not working after several attempts, that is small compared to surgery equipment. But still, if we had the mentality that just a few quirks are ok, in your old job, people die. To me there's nothing wrong with expecting what you pay for works properly.
Expecting and even demanding that something you paid for works properly isn't an issue. However if you're expectation are that everything you buy will always work exactly as designed and you will never have issues you are setting your self up for a lot of disappointment.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Trim Level: Sport
Rep:21
Gatsy92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge35 View Post
Wow, you guys are harsh. According to the original post:
1. His nav system failed
2. Two different dealers couldn't repair the problem (I guess neither wanted to do the right thing and just replace the 8.4AN)
3. He had to take it upon himself to contact Chrysler who just gave him a band aid solution
4. GPS is still failing

And on top of that they had to replace the gears because he was given something different than what he was supposed to have received. Is it any wonder he wants to vent? Yet people are coming to the defense of a billion dollar corporation and basically telling him to suck it up.

It doesn't matter if first year cars have issues or if he could have found another GPS to use. At the absolute, bottom of the barrel minimum people should be able to expect is that they get what they paid for and that it will work. If any of those are not met then they should expect the issue to be taken care of quickly and to their satisfaction. Sounds like they did ok by replacing the gears but the dealers and Chrysler have dropped the ball on his nav system. He could own the Garmin factory and it wouldn't change the fact that he paid for a navigation system that , thus far, Chrysler has failed to deliver on after multiple attempts.

Being a Chrysler fan boy and patting them on the back for the privilege of paying money to buy one of their cars doesn't help any of us. Keeping them accountable and ensuring their customers are taken care of does.
Yea and the world should be perfect and there shouldn't be war. It's not perfect. I know your paying a lot for a vehicle but that's why they have warranty. To fix these little things
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Expecting and even demanding that something you paid for works properly isn't an issue. However if you're expectation are that everything you buy will always work exactly as designed and you will never have issues you are setting your self up for a lot of disappointment.
Where did I state 100% of what you buy must work 100% perfectly?
$50k, radio worked on twice and still not working, do we as sheeple say thats OK and chalk it up as a bad day, or demand what you paid for be fulfilled as promised?
Guess we have different expectations. I am in a company that services all over the world, and it's minor compared to a stint, or a working vehicle. But people still want what they purchase from me to work. And yes, when there are human faults, I cannot blame them neither. Just 'how' it's repaired or replaced is the final taste in the customer mouth.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Perfectly put in perspective brad. And come on gents! That 50k price tag is so inflated that the actual price is probably less than half of that sticker price listed.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsy92 View Post
Yea and the world should be perfect and there shouldn't be war. It's not perfect. I know your paying a lot for a vehicle but that's why they have warranty. To fix these little things
I apologize. I missed the part where the magical warranty unicorn fixed his radio. I was under the impression that he took his truck to 2 different dealers AND called Chrysler and they still haven't fixed it. Can't imagine where I dreamed up such a thing...

(Hint: it's the very first message in this thread)

All together now: We don't expect perfection but we do expect them to fix the problems. An owner shouldn't have to keep taking the truck in until they finally get it when nearly the entire Uconnect-speaking world knows that they either need to replace the GPS module or the entire radio.

Out of curiosity, how many on this thread have actually dealt with a major part (or all) of their 8.4AN going (and staying) down?
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 08-28-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well said! Considering how much fun your computer and your smart phone can be when they start pissing you off when they do aggravating shit. They have been pushing technology on the market long before bugs are worked out for the sake of making money but yet we still get in line for it. NOW that it's getting put into out vehicles you think it's going to get better? I don't. I have had radio problems and have had it replaced. There are going to be problems and my dealer has stepped up and met mine. Finding a good dealer with talented tecks is important.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM59 View Post
Well said! Considering how much fun your computer and your smart phone can be when they start pissing you off when they do aggravating shit. They have been pushing technology on the market long before bugs are worked out for the sake of making money but yet we still get in line for it. NOW that it's getting put into out vehicles you think it's going to get better? I don't. I have had radio problems and have had it replaced. There are going to be problems and my dealer has stepped up and met mine. Finding a good dealer with talented tecks is important.
Best techs in the world cant fix software problems and these trucks are loaded with them. Its just going to take a while and a few more releases.

I have a lot of little glitches with the radio/GPS, sucks that when the radio craps out the HVAC goes along with it and the wipers dont work if you have rain sensing wipers and they were activated when the radio freezes up.

But just like I learned early on with PCs, the old 'crtl-alt-delete' on these trucks is holding the volume and tune pushbuttons down until it reboots. I've had to do a couple times now, mostly from playing with the NAV and scrolling the map around looking for 3D city models until the whole mess locks up (I get bored sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife with no DVD player anymore ).