DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough
Default Manufacturer's Defects

I was going to post this in one of the issues threads, but I didn't want to single anyone out.

Reading through some of these threads really makes me think about how funny people are with cars. We make blanket comments with such a small sample size.

For instance my wife had a Hyundai when I first met her. I changed the Trani in that thing at 70k miles. By 90k miles the engine burnt up. It blow a seal and dropped oil on the highway and then ceased. I'll never own another Hyundai. My father has a newer Hyundai that he uses as a commuter and hasn't had a single issues. To him they are the greatest car manufacturer in the world. Who is right?

You will find people who have similar stories about every single car manufacturer. Someone gets a good car and they are sold for life, but just one bad car and it all changes and they are the worst car manufacturer on the planet.

I had Ford Bronco II that I drove when I was in my early 20's. I never changed to oil or serviced it in any way. I ran it into polls and got it stuck in sand more times then I can count. I took that car 350k miles with out an issue. I had an explorer later and the heads blew at 80k miles. Should I love Ford or hate them?

The truth is when you look at any manufacturer there is a failure rate on their items. It doesn't matter how much you spend on it things get missed. It sucks when it happens to you, but it doesn't signify a bad company.

All car manufacturers have about the same number of issues on new cars (if you look at large samples of data.) So running from one to another isn't going to be any more effective then changing cars in the same brand. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:10
mikeysotp is on a distinguished road

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. Great post!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Did you really get 350,000 miles on your Bronco with out changing the oil? I don't believe that is possible for oil to last that long and still have lub properties.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM

I bought it at 60k miles and drove it to 350k miles and I never once did an oil change. I topped it of when it got low. Believe it or not, that's what happened.

I wouldn't try to duplicate the results now that I'm older and more responsible.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Agreed for the most part with what you said, but I would go further as to say a lot of it has to do with the treatment to the customer after the purchase that influences their decision to love them or hate them. For example, I bought my Explorer new in 1997. I really liked it and drove it for 155,000 miles. I would have kept it had I not needed more towing ability and convenience of a bed. That said, as much as I liked it, I have pretty much sworn off ever owning another Ford after the treatment I received from every local Ford service department over its life with me. The way I was treated was bad enough that I would never consider owning another one since I know what the after the sale service is like where I live. BTW we bought a new Hyundai Sonata n 2006 for my Wife and it's had several minor issues during the 60,000 miles that are currently on it. the dealership has been good though so I would consider another one.

Last edited by Explorer Rob; 08-29-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent perspective, brad. And well said. Have to agree with it, too.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
Agreed for the most part with what you said, but I would go further as to say a lot of it has to do with the treatment to the customer after the purchase that influences their decision to love them or hate them. For example, I bought my Explorer new in 1997. I really liked it and drove it for 155,000 miles. I would have kept it had I needed more towing ability and convenience of a bed. That said, as much as I liked it, I have pretty much sworn off ever owning another Ford after the treatment I received from every local Ford service department over its life with me. The way I was treated was bad enough that I would never consider owning another one since I know what the after the sale service is like where I live. BTW we bought a new Hyundai Sonata n 2006 for my Wife and it's had several minor issues during the 60,000 miles that are currently on it. the dealership has been good though so I would consider another one.
I make no excuses for poor customer service. I try not to judge a company until I have an issue. That wasn't my point at all.

A lot of people are complaining about quality control and general quality of the factory. My point is that even the best manufacturing plant has issues.

More then that it was just a comment on how we all judge cars. As is evident by my examples above I'm as guilty of anyone. I've heard that Hyundai has since made changes to fix the issues I've had, but the truth is the though of owning another one makes me sick to my stomach. There's to many cars out there that I can buy without the anxiety.

Last edited by bradburyesqu; 08-29-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

I see it differently, I think. We pay a ton of money for our new vehicles these days, and I while I agree there may be some reluctance to accept the occasional problem, it's the things people think should have been known and worked out BEFORE new car buyers were turned into testers that rankles many the most. Similarly, the things that should have been easily caught and fixed in QC checks that were not tend to irk people.

Every GM truck I had and most all of them I have driven for work (totalling into the dozens) had two basic, repeating problems, for example. Before long you have to SLAM the doors hard to get them to shut completely, and they would develop electrical problems somewhere on the instrument panel. You would think after years of the same issue they could finally get it right, but no....
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: bright white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:24
hattitude is on a distinguished road

Some people think that all vehicles should be perfect on delivery.... they are bound to be disappointed regardless of their dealer or brand...

With most people, I don't believe it's that things break that turns them off... I think it's how the dealer handles the problem(s), that will chase someone from one dealer to another and/or one brand to another.

I love my 2013 RAM, and it's my 5th Dodge/Ram truck.... but I have had it to the dealer four times, over 10 weeks, for the same problem. They still don't know how to fix it.....We are waiting on "Chrysler" to tell them, for the 3rd time, how to fix it ... Can't say I'll never buy another because of this...but I will not even consider an extended warranty...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Interesting read

I retired in 2006 after many years in construction. Beginning in 1988 I was issued company pickups or SUVs until 2006. So I can't really talk apples and apples on this subject. However, building power plants from siting to commissioning gave me a different perspective on working trucks and or SUVs through those years. The Dodge brand will always be my top pick (call it carryover from my former life).

I finished the last 4 years of my career as an expat between Europe and Asia. When I returned state side, it made me realize what we take for granted here in the US. What brings this to mind most, are the Dodge enthusiast that we have overseas and above us in Canada. Living abroad and not having access to my vehicle of choice, I found to be quite frustrating.

I still, have yet to buy a new vehicle since retiring. What I admire most, are you guys who have done so. I'm chasing a retirement dream flipping trucks (4x4's). The miles alone may force me to think newer (at least in diesel). My complaints are few, but one can see why. I've yet to take the risk that many of you must (since you're still perhaps working, traveling and commuting). Think of it, that each and every one of you are blazing trails for others to follow. My hat's off, to all the new or former new Dodge buyers. R...

Last edited by richmond; 08-29-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Clarification