DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2013, 04:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

wait... back up.. What are these deletes i keep hearing of? What the heck even is an ERG or whatever? haha
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly @ BP View Post
2nd go around, you'll have learnt your lesson and won't make that mistake again.
Same thing happened to me on my 1500...lol
So I feel your pain.
Now 5 oil changes later and it's mastered.
Ya that's true. All I really need is a deeper drain pan or just add a shield to this one. Maybe use a bucket instead. Either one would work. But ya, definitely don't want to be cleaning up that mess again. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
wait... back up.. What are these deletes i keep hearing of? What the heck even is an ERG or whatever? haha
Well first off, they apply to diesels not gas trucks so you don't really need to worry about it. But I'll sum it up for you.

When Cummins came out with the 6.7 in 2007 they knew what the new EPA standards would be for diesel engines by 2010. So all 6.7's have more emissions equipment on them than the old 5.9's did. The 07-12's have the EGR valve, CCV recirculation, and DPF filters in order to meet those standards.

EGR Valve:
Or exhaust gas recirculation valve. It essentially takes exhaust and puts it back over into the intake. The purpose of it is to reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen) by keeping the combustion temperatures lower. The problem with them is that all the soot and crap from your exhaust is now running back through your engine. It coats everything in soot, blackens the oil, all that. Not good.... Getting rid of it will allow the engine to breathe much better and cleaner and make more power since it will be running on only air and fuel rather than exhaust. You also get better MPG by not running it.

DPF Filter:
Or diesel particulate filter is a filter in the exhaust meant to catch all the hydrocarbons, soot, and all the other contaminates from the exhaust. That's why you will never see a stock 6.7 blow black smoke, the filter catches all of that. He problem is that over time the filter clogs up and the exhaust can no longer flow through. To take care of this the truck goes in to regen mode and essentially dumps raw fuel down the exhaust to burn all the contaminates out of the filter. Obviously that is a huge waste of fuel and you lose power at the same time. But deleting the filter you allow your exhaust to breathe much better and it will no longer go in to regen mode and waste all that fuel.

In order to complete both an EGR delete and DPF delete you need a tuner that will support deletes to clear the engine codes that would come up (and put the truck in to limp mode) if you just took the parts off with no tuning. There are a number of options of different tuners to run. All of them have different pros and cons but that's a whole other subject.
By doing the deletes and running the tuner I chose I should gain about 4-5mpg fuel economy and 125hp/365ft-lbs running on my street performance setting. Plus the engine will be be running much better and cleaner extending it's maintenance intervals and overall engine life.

CCV Delete:
This one you don't need a tuner for. I've already done it on my truck while I had my intake off yesterday. All it is is the vent on the top of the valve cover being routed in to the intake (crankcase ventilation). That ends up sucking oil and crap into the turbo which is not something you want. So I just disconnected the hose (I will get a breather for it eventually) and then plugged the whole in the intake.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Well first off, they apply to diesels not gas trucks so you don't really need to worry about it. But I'll sum it up for you.

When Cummins came out with the 6.7 in 2007 they knew what the new EPA standards would be for diesel engines by 2010. So all 6.7's have more emissions equipment on them than the old 5.9's did. The 07-12's have the EGR valve, CCV recirculation, and DPF filters in order to meet those standards.

EGR Valve:
Or exhaust gas recirculation valve. It essentially takes exhaust and puts it back over into the intake. The purpose of it is to reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen) by keeping the combustion temperatures lower. The problem with them is that all the soot and crap from your exhaust is now running back through your engine. It coats everything in soot, blackens the oil, all that. Not good.... Getting rid of it will allow the engine to breathe much better and cleaner and make more power since it will be running on only air and fuel rather than exhaust. You also get better MPG by not running it.

DPF Filter:
Or diesel particulate filter is a filter in the exhaust meant to catch all the hydrocarbons, soot, and all the other contaminates from the exhaust. That's why you will never see a stock 6.7 blow black smoke, the filter catches all of that. He problem is that over time the filter clogs up and the exhaust can no longer flow through. To take care of this the truck goes in to regen mode and essentially dumps raw fuel down the exhaust to burn all the contaminates out of the filter. Obviously that is a huge waste of fuel and you lose power at the same time. But deleting the filter you allow your exhaust to breathe much better and it will no longer go in to regen mode and waste all that fuel.

In order to complete both an EGR delete and DPF delete you need a tuner that will support deletes to clear the engine codes that would come up (and put the truck in to limp mode) if you just took the parts off with no tuning. There are a number of options of different tuners to run. All of them have different pros and cons but that's a whole other subject.
By doing the deletes and running the tuner I chose I should gain about 4-5mpg fuel economy and 125hp/365ft-lbs running on my street performance setting. Plus the engine will be be running much better and cleaner extending it's maintenance intervals and overall engine life.

CCV Delete:
This one you don't need a tuner for. I've already done it on my truck while I had my intake off yesterday. All it is is the vent on the top of the valve cover being routed in to the intake (crankcase ventilation). That ends up sucking oil and crap into the turbo which is not something you want. So I just disconnected the hose (I will get a breather for it eventually) and then plugged the whole in the intake.
That explanation was perfect. Thanks!
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
This past week my Cummins decided it needed it first oil change (at about 5500km). Wasn't too stoked on that seeing as it's supposed to go up to 12,000km so it didn't even make it half way. But seeing as it's the first oil change and the engine needed to break in I guess it makes sense. The EGR valve doesn't help anything either. The oil was definitely as black as it could be and smelled like diesel.

Normally I would just bring it in to Mr. Lube to get the oil changed but I called there and it was going to be at least $120 plus tax. I figured I could do it myself for about half of that. So I ran down to Costco and got a case of Castrol Diesel oil ($47.00) and then to Lordco and grabbed a K&N oil filter ($16.00). Got home, pulled the truck into the garage and started working. I read on Cummins forum that it's a lot easier to get the filter off if you take the intake off so that was my first move. Not too big of a deal but getting the CCV tube off the intake was a bit of a pain. The clamp was in an awkward spot to get off. However, I won't have that problem any more as I blocked off the CCV on the intake so it won't be putting it's own fumes through the turbo.

Then came the fun part.... pulling the drain plug. Out of the 20 or so times I have changed oil I have never had this happen to me (however this was my first diesel oil change). I pulled the plug and all 12L of that oil was coming out right now! It hit the bottom of the drain pan and literally started spraying everywhere. There was nothing I could do at that point so I just crawled out from under the truck and let it go. By the time it was done there was definitely a couple liters of oil on the ground....

Getting the filter off was also a task.... Apparently Cummins hasn't heard of the one hand tight rule because that thing was on there ridiculously tight! Plus I didn't have the right size filter wrench so I had to go run down and grab one from the store.

Anyways, she's all back together now and running clean. Just thought I'd share my Saturday story with you guys. Needless to say, next time Mr. Lube is going to be doing it. I don't feel like cleaning up that much oil again

Just an FYI if you change your oil you may want to go with the Dodge / Mopar factory filter oil filter they will crucify you if you don't have there filter and you have some big issue with the engine even tho I have the deletes I still use there filters, also same thing happened to me when I changed my oil the first time but I also ran out of room in the oil pan didn't realize how much oil the trucks take.

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Ya that's true. All I really need is a deeper drain pan or just add a shield to this one. Maybe use a bucket instead. Either one would work. But ya, definitely don't want to be cleaning up that mess again. Lol.

EGR Valve:

DPF Filter:

CCV Delete:
Perfictly said;

But lets see a picture of: CCV Delete:
this one is a new one to me.

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

I actually added a fumoto drain plug on mine and attach a hose to it and release the oil directly into a bucket.
Makes for a nice and clean. Oil change.

Something to look into.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqudayo View Post
Just an FYI if you change your oil you may want to go with the Dodge / Mopar factory filter oil filter they will crucify you if you don't have there filter and you have some big issue with the engine even tho I have the deletes I still use there filters, also same thing happened to me when I changed my oil the first time but I also ran out of room in the oil pan didn't realize how much oil the trucks take.
Really? They get that stingy about the filter? Kinda odd... I'm almost guessing it has something to do with them wanting to make more money selling Mopar parts rather than the quality of the filter. I would guess the K&N I bought is just as good if not better than the Mopar filter.

Yes they definitely hold a lot of oil. I was a little worried about mine being big enough at first but when I started looking at it compared to the size of the bottles of new oil I had to go in it I figured it would all fit. I'm glad it did otherwise it would have been an even bigger mess. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqudayo View Post
Perfictly said;

But lets see a picture of: CCV Delete:
this one is a new one to me.
I don't really have a good picture of the CCV delete but it's not very hard to see on your own truck. Off the passenger side of the valve cover there's a hose that comes out across the top of the EGR cooler, then into a rigid pipe, and then a hose into the intake about 4" before where it connects to the turbo. So for now I just took the hose off the intake a plugged the hole in it so that it's not sucking in unfiltered air. I just left the rigid hose for now until I order the breather kit later this month.

Check out this kit http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=07510-VCB. It's the one I plan to buy and has some pictures showing you where the hose comes out of the valve cover and where the plug in the intake tube goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly @ BP View Post
I actually added a fumoto drain plug on mine and attach a hose to it and release the oil directly into a bucket.
Makes for a nice and clean. Oil change.

Something to look into.
I've heard about those but never actually looked them up to see if I could get one. I can definitely see where that would be handy to have though. Is it just a ball valve on a lever to open it? I'd maybe be a little worried of it catching something (very unlikely, but possible) and letting all the oil out of my truck.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2744
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Oh oil changes.. just making a mess everywhere sometimes.. Especially with that much oil.. I gave up on those and pay $10 at my uncles shop for an oil change.. They even pick it up, give a quick wash and drop it off for me .

Glad you got that small delete done.. 1 step closer to making it even more of a beast. And when getting the first oil change, It is never as long as it usually will be.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Oh oil changes.. just making a mess everywhere sometimes.. Especially with that much oil.. I gave up on those and pay $10 at my uncles shop for an oil change.. They even pick it up, give a quick wash and drop it off for me .

Glad you got that small delete done.. 1 step closer to making it even more of a beast. And when getting the first oil change, It is never as long as it usually will be.
Definitely can't complain about $10 oil changes!! My filter alone cost me more than that. lol.

Ya I was happy to get that one delete done. I figured I had the intake off so I might as well do it. Gave me a chance to clean up the intake a turbo with some good cleaner as well before it got too oiled up. The only concern I have with it now is the pipe that I left open is directly on top of the turbo. So if any oil does accumulate in it and decide to drip out it's going to land on the turbo. It should just sizzle off no problem though. I'll order up the breather kit for it next month and then it will be fully taken care of.

Unfortunately that's how it goes. Especially on a Cummins with an EGR and DPF still on it. It should be a bit better now because the rings will be sitting better so less fuel and soot will be getting past them. Then hopefully the next oil change will occur when it's fully deleted so then it will be MUCH better. Should go 15-18k no problem.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Really? They get that stingy about the filter? Kinda odd... I'm almost guessing it has something to do with them wanting to make more money selling Mopar parts rather than the quality of the filter. I would guess the K&N I bought is just as good if not better than the Mopar filter.

Yes they definitely hold a lot of oil. I was a little worried about mine being big enough at first but when I started looking at it compared to the size of the bottles of new oil I had to go in it I figured it would all fit. I'm glad it did otherwise it would have been an even bigger mess. lol.

I don't really have a good picture of the CCV delete but it's not very hard to see on your own truck. Off the passenger side of the valve cover there's a hose that comes out across the top of the EGR cooler, then into a rigid pipe, and then a hose into the intake about 4" before where it connects to the turbo. So for now I just took the hose off the intake a plugged the hole in it so that it's not sucking in unfiltered air. I just left the rigid hose for now until I order the breather kit later this month.

Check out this kit http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...f_id=07510-VCB. It's the one I plan to buy and has some pictures showing you where the hose comes out of the valve cover and where the plug in the intake tube goes.

I've heard about those but never actually looked them up to see if I could get one. I can definitely see where that would be handy to have though. Is it just a ball valve on a lever to open it? I'd maybe be a little worried of it catching something (very unlikely, but possible) and letting all the oil out of my truck.

Thanks for the link I'll look into it, I missed that mod