DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lariat
Color: Blue-ish
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:118
DRX350 will become famous soon enoughDRX350 will become famous soon enough

Put a 4.10 r&p in your truck, it'll improve, toyota has a 4.30...

Plus, that jumpy throttle gets real annoying after a while, especially offroad, or in traffic, or even in a parking lot...
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

The simple fact is the mag got the
1. Most loaded (heaviest) Ram you could get
2. With the tallest (slowest) axle ratio you could get

The Chevy was not the most loaded and had the shorter (fastest) optional axle ratio you could get.

The Ford was not even close to the most loaded, and also had an optional axle ratio that helped it's acceleration, though even the base 3.15 Ecoboost would have been faster, with it's 420 ft lbs of torque so low in the power band.

I have the same VBox testing meter than most of the mags use.

I tested my 13 Laramie CC 4x4 with 3.55's and got a 0-60 in 7.0 flat.
But my truck not only had just 525 miles on it, but it was a 91 degree day.
I live at sea level.

With a bit more break in miles and a "corrected" for 76 degree temp (as C&D does) that 0-60 time for me would likely be 6.8 seconds.
That improvement is the 3.55 gears over the 3.21 and the fact the Laramie is still a hundred or so pounds less weight than the Laramie Longhorn.

Here's the interesting thing though, in every test I see, the Ram isn't the best off the line, it's weight and the fact it's tuned to be a bit soft at low rpms, hurt it's 0-60, but it's rolling times are where it shines.

As in this test, even though the Longhorn is the heaviest and has the tallest axle ratio, it still pulls hard once rolling and the passing times are equal or best in test.
I've seen this in other tests too.

I actually also tested this against and Ecoboost Ford with the 3.55 axle ratio and a Big Horn Ram with the 3.55 and the older 6 speed auto.
Once rolling the Ram accelerated just as fast as the Ecoboost Ford.
I tested it 3 times on a VBox.
From 50-80 mph they got the exact same time, 3 times each. Amazingly consistent.
And that shows the power of the Hemi to be able to equal the Ford Ecoboost times once rolling, and again that was with the older 6 speed, with the 8 speed the Hemi Ram should pull a bit.

As for interiors, I agree, the Ford feels old and they gave the Ford too many points for that compared to the Ram.
What it comes down to is I don't think the editors liked the Cowboy look and feel of the Ram Longhorn, and that swayed them away from it.
But if it was a regular Laramie, and not the Longhorn, there is no way they'd feel the Ford's interior was anywhere close to as nice or have as many amenities.

Same goes for ride. The Ford, shakes and quivers over rough roads.
I drove it on those indented bumps they put on the side of the highway to wake you up if you drift onto the shoulder...well the Ford's interior shook and quivered like crazy. The Ram was far better with barely anything shaking or quivering.

I have not tested the new Chevy/GMC yet.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Ha! That chevy is big brother limited to 99mph! What's next 75?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

I think C&D should be a little embarrassed! The people who left comments about their review had more knowledge about trucks. They are people who actually research and purchase what best suites their needs. The people who actually listen to the crap that these articles put forth and buy something based on that information deserve what they get. What I would like to see is articles on vehicle comparison six years after they are purchased. That would really tell you who makes the best truck. That's why my last three trucks have been Rams.

Last edited by JWM59; 09-02-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
Ha! That chevy is big brother limited to 99mph! What's next 75?
Maybe less

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-limiters.html
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: None
Rep:10
JackL is on a distinguished road

This is a bit of a bummer...I really hope there was something wrong with the Ram in this test, because let's face it, the hemi 8-speed got stomped by the Eco to the tune of 8 tenths and 8MPH in the 1/4. I had seen an older CD test which showed the Eco just a little bit faster than the hemi, and mainly because the 0-30 was quicker. I figured that the 8-speed ought to run dead even or maybe a little quicker.

I realize that the 3.21 didn't help off the line. But even with the 3.21 gear, the Ram still had the lowest overall ratio in first...and regardless it does not explain the low mph, even lower than the Chevy. With 8 gears, once it is wound up in first, the ram should be on the power band for the remainder of the 1/4.

I want to see another magazine comparison test before I draw any hard conclusions.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

The testing was most definitely flawed, especially with the weight and axle ratio on the Ram. Cant wait to go side by side my relatives new eco boost
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackL View Post
This is a bit of a bummer...I really hope there was something wrong with the Ram in this test, because let's face it, the hemi 8-speed got stomped by the Eco to the tune of 8 tenths and 8MPH in the 1/4. I had seen an older CD test which showed the Eco just a little bit faster than the hemi, and mainly because the 0-30 was quicker. I figured that the 8-speed ought to run dead even or maybe a little quicker.

I realize that the 3.21 didn't help off the line. But even with the 3.21 gear, the Ram still had the lowest overall ratio in first...and regardless it does not explain the low mph, even lower than the Chevy. With 8 gears, once it is wound up in first, the ram should be on the power band for the remainder of the 1/4.

I want to see another magazine comparison test before I draw any hard conclusions.
Look at my post a few posts up.
You can see my times with a new 13 Laramie 4x4 with only 525 miles on the odometer and 91 degree heat.
You also see my predictions of times with a bit more break in miles and a bit cooler day.

Well today I decided to see what the 2013 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.55 gears would do now that I have 1650 miles on the odometer and temps had dropped here to 79 degrees (still a bit warm for ideal times though).

And this time I decided to do keep my foot in it through the 1/4 mile.

Here's what I got:

I did several runs

My best 0-60 was 6.7 seconds
My worst 0-60 was 7.0 seconds again.

My 1/4 mile times were consistently
15.2-15.3 seconds at 88.7-89.6 mph

My 30-50 times were 2.8-3.0 seconds
My 50-70 mph times were 3.8-4.0 seconds

These were done varying the launches.
But really the only way to get the best launch was to put it into 4wd Auto and turn off the traction control.
Power brake it and let it rip.
Trying in 2WD mode just ended in wheel spin or not enough wheel spin, either way, times resulted in being slower.
I gave 5+ minutes of cool down between runs which was a bit of just 50 mph cruising and turning the engine off for a bit.

Again, the times Car and Driver got with the heavier Laramie Longhorn edition and the slower 3.21 gears seems about right. My slightly lighter (by about 100 lbs) Laramie with slightly more aggressive gearing improved on their times by the amount I would of expected.

But in order for this test to of been more fair, the Ram should of been the Laramie and it should of had at the 3.55 gear ratio.

Either way, the times would of been slower than the Ford Ecoboost and would of more matched the lighter Chevy.

The issue with the 1/4 mile is shifting.
The 8 speed auto with the 3.21 gears requires an additional shift than both the Ford and Chevy.
And everyone knows the Ford's Ecoboost is underrated a bit in the HP department (and probably a bit in torque too).
Chevy's truck though rated as the least powerful, is possibly underrated by 5-10 hp too, but it's advantage is that it's several hundred pounds lighter.

I will be getting my 2014 Laramie soon with the 3.92's and once broken in a bit will test it's times.

I'm not really worried about a tenth or two, or a mph or two in 1/4 mile times, that's not what trucks are all about. The Ram rides the best, looks the best, has the best interior, and the Hemi sounds the best too. Those things are more important than a fender or so difference in the 0-60 and 1/2 to 1 truck length difference in the 1/4 mile.

I'm gonna bet the 3.92 ratio Ram will close the distance even more and make it all but trivial anyway....unless of course an Ecoboost truck has the 3.55 or 3.73 axle ratio, which makes them very quick for a truck. But you still have to deal with the wussy sound of the thing when you are driving it normally 99% of the time.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I think that racing trucks is somewhat pointless, these tests are to see how well a truck would be able to handle under a load. Passing with a trailer for instance. Regardless there's not really an appreciable difference.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice

Ummmm .. hands down .. RAM !