DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I think that racing trucks is somewhat pointless, these tests are to see how well a truck would be able to handle under a load. Passing with a trailer for instance. Regardless there's not really an appreciable difference.

True and so is the "max tow ratings" game.

Chief engineer for Ram had it right when he said something along the lines of
1/2 ton pick ups are for people who plan to tow 5000-7000 lbs.

This whole, "my 1/2 ton pick up is rated at 10,500 lbs in towing, which beats your 1/2 ton pick up tow rating of 9000 lbs is crap.

Again as the chief engineer said, anyone who is planning on towing a trailer of 10,000 lbs or even close to 10,000 lbs will want to look or desire to buy the Heavy Duty 3/4 ton trucks.

Sure a 1/2 truck may be "rated" to tow 10,000 lbs, but in doing so, you are low riding the back of it, and will be the person who can barely hold 50 mph up a moderate grade, much less doing so at altitude or a steep grade.

The coil suspension of the RAM that gives it the best ride quality, surely cuts into the tow rating of the 1/2 ton, but who gives? If you are regularly towing 8000+ lbs, and especially closer to 10,000 lbs or more you would be a fool not to spend a bit more and get a HD truck instead.
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Not to mention a class IV hitch is only rated to 10,000 lbs. I completely agree.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

If I tried towing the 10,000 lbs. by Ram is rated for I would have to do it with 635 lbs. of tongue weight since that is all I have left of the payload after subtracting my 190 lbs.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:11
RCFiddyOne is on a distinguished road

I realized something when reading everyone’s posts. Like most, I did a ton of comparison before I signed on the dotted line and coming from a GM family, I was dead set on pulling the trigger on a ’13 GMC Sierra Denali and didn’t even consider the Ram at first. Heck, I even gave the Tundra a hard look but knew I would catch flak from my dad and grandfather since all they drive are Chevys. I looked at the Fords but comparably equipped, they are considerably priced higher and I wasn’t really sold on the Eco-boost. It is funny how a lot of us here just “happened” to pick a Ram (or it picked us, lol) and never looked back. To be honest, I don’t even remember how I chose the Ram. I think the GMC salesman was supposed to call me back and didn’t, a few internet searches later, I was on the Ram website and then at a dealer not far from my house, lol. Even after the new Chevy/GMC came out, I still think I made the right choice.

As far as engines go, their 5.3 can’t compare to the Hemi 5.7 and their 6.2 is only slightly more powerful. Also notably, the Chevy forums are littered with people having “oil burning issues” related to the cylinder deactivation feature of the 5.3 liter. I wanted to stay far away from that. 0-60 times are nice but if I really wanted speed, I would jump on my motorcycle. What I look for in a truck engine is power and torque and that is where I think the Hemi has the best mix of, IMO. To be honest, you couldn’t go wrong with either and they all have more power than what we would typically use them for but interior and ride quality alone, the Ram wins hands down for me.

The best part for me though is after I got my truck and took it home to show my dad, he was blown away with how it looked in the interior and how it felt compared to his Chevy. His words “Nice truck son…” was validation enough for me. Him and my brother still try to give me hell for picking a “Chrysler product” but I know it is because they are jealous.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFiddyOne View Post
I realized something when reading everyone’s posts. Like most, I did a ton of comparison before I signed on the dotted line and coming from a GM family, I was dead set on pulling the trigger on a ’13 GMC Sierra Denali and didn’t even consider the Ram at first. Heck, I even gave the Tundra a hard look but knew I would catch flak from my dad and grandfather since all they drive are Chevys. I looked at the Fords but comparably equipped, they are considerably priced higher and I wasn’t really sold on the Eco-boost. It is funny how a lot of us here just “happened” to pick a Ram (or it picked us, lol) and never looked back. To be honest, I don’t even remember how I chose the Ram. I think the GMC salesman was supposed to call me back and didn’t, a few internet searches later, I was on the Ram website and then at a dealer not far from my house, lol. Even after the new Chevy/GMC came out, I still think I made the right choice.

As far as engines go, their 5.3 can’t compare to the Hemi 5.7 and their 6.2 is only slightly more powerful. Also notably, the Chevy forums are littered with people having “oil burning issues” related to the cylinder deactivation feature of the 5.3 liter. I wanted to stay far away from that. 0-60 times are nice but if I really wanted speed, I would jump on my motorcycle. What I look for in a truck engine is power and torque and that is where I think the Hemi has the best mix of, IMO. To be honest, you couldn’t go wrong with either and they all have more power than what we would typically use them for but interior and ride quality alone, the Ram wins hands down for me.

The best part for me though is after I got my truck and took it home to show my dad, he was blown away with how it looked in the interior and how it felt compared to his Chevy. His words “Nice truck son…” was validation enough for me. Him and my brother still try to give me hell for picking a “Chrysler product” but I know it is because they are jealous.

I love this post, LOVE IT!!! Very well said!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Black Gold/Silver
Rep:13
Tony Munari is on a distinguished road

Just wait until KIA/Hyundia come out with a truck and they make it truck of the CENTURY. It all depends on OPINION. In OUR opinions we picked the BEST trucks our money could buy!!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arietem View Post
Ummmm .. hands down .. RAM !
Totally agree......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

These articles will ALWAYS be biased because they rely on the same companies that they are reviewing their products to advertise in the magazine. Without advertising there is no article. So they spread the "wins" around to try and keep everyone happy. It's ridiculous to even suppose that these reviews are unbiased.

Read them for entertainment, but not for factual information other than maybe specs.

Give me all three trucks, tell me which one you want to come in first, second and third in a quarter mile and I'll make it happen just by launching them differently. It's a joke and these articles have only entertainment value and worthless for anything else - even when your favorite wins.

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.