DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab 149" WB
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Monotone Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Catmaster is on a distinguished road
Default Grill Shutters and Air Suspension Questions

Hello there, I am new to the forum and have a few questions for the forum collective. I am searching for some help on a few topics in reguards to my new 2014 Ram Laramie. I love the truck, just curious if anyone has a bit more info then my less then helpful dealer.

First a quick question if there is any indicator in the display for the grill shutters. Will the system tell what position they are in, open or closed? ( to also let me know if they are working? )

Second, for the air suspension, has anyone noticed a battery drain from the compressor running without the truck running? My Ram is not my daily driver so it can sit week to week and with my laneway on an incline I do here it levelling itself the odd time. My suspicions are backed by a message in the dash, once I start it up, "low battery, start to change ride height". The truck does not struggle to start, however just concerned what the cold weather will bring if the battery is not 100%.

Thanks in advance for the help, I will post pictures once I can figure out how.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:23
VegasR1 is on a distinguished road

no available messages or indicator on the grille shutters. I agree though, this would be cool.

I've never considered battery drain via air suspension but I would like to think Chrysler would've. If you're getting a low battery indicator already, you might wanna have the suspension and charging systems checked. Possibly even consider installing a larger battery to handle the constant draw if need be. That would be a huge design flaw though. Hopefully you just got a bad battery.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Mine will often sit for a week at a time since it isn't my daily driver. No problem with my air suspension draining my battery but my garage is pretty level. If you are concerned about it though you can place it in tire jack mode through the Uconnect radio and it will disable the auto leveling until the next time you start it. I think the auto-level only comes on a few minutes after turning it off. It should hold its position but I've never left mine parked on a serious incline.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:262
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

I have a '14 with the grille shutters, but have no idea when they're activated... I presume that it has something to due with temp...
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Longorn 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Rep:15
exilepa is on a distinguished road

I, too, have a 2014 with the shutters and air ride. I think I remember reading hte shutters will open and close depending on engine temp and temp outside. Mine is my daily driver and a couple times a week I will have the message about battery being and start engine to adjust ride height. I haven't been too worried about it yet since it hasn't hesistated to start at all.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
stushemi is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere the battery is monitored so once it gets down to certain level it goes into power save mode. This ensures the truck will start.
Mine sits at a sideways angle on the driveway and won't go into 'entry/exit' mode while parked like this, I too have heard the self levelling do its thing way after the truck was stopped
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab 149" WB
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Monotone Black
Catmaster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice Gentleman, I will pose the issue to my dealer when I go for the Uconnect update - load test battery to ensure flawless cold winter start up's. Also hoping the Ram's ECU's are "smart" enough to utilize a power saving mode for premature battery drain. Wonder if the stronger battery used for the start / stop system in the Pentastar V6 would work with the Hemi setup..

As far as the shutters you would think they would have some indicator to show at least a fault or failure icon on the dash. What if they get frozen or proped open from snow or debris..

On a side note, does anyone know if Chrysler has updated it's written warranty guidlines to include these two new features? Would not want to get caught in an expensive loop hole if either system failed and was not covered.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram CC Sport
Trim Level: 1500 Sport CC
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
mr.jason is on a distinguished road

There is an in-depth very well written article on the grill shutters / air suspension and all the technology in the 2013-14 RAM on the "Allpar.com" web site. I have read it several times...

The grill shutters close every time the truck is started cold, they close at @55MPH for better aero dynamic air flow...if an indicator exists it should be mentioned in the owners manual.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:108
gwilburn will become famous soon enoughgwilburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
Second, for the air suspension, has anyone noticed a battery drain from the compressor running without the truck running? My Ram is not my daily driver so it can sit week to week and with my laneway on an incline I do here it levelling itself the odd time. My suspicions are backed by a message in the dash, once I start it up, "low battery, start to change ride height". The truck does not struggle to start, however just concerned what the cold weather will bring if the battery is not 100%.

Thanks in advance for the help, I will post pictures once I can figure out how.
I noticed this for the first time this morning. Probably the first time my truck sat for a day since I got it. When I started it this morning, EVIC displayed the "Battery low start engine to level" message. My garage is very level and relatively warm (in the 50's). Also, when I did start the truck, it immediately shut off - had to restart.

Now I'm wondering. It's cold here in the winter (nothing like Northern ON).

So Catmaster, are you a Arctic Cat mechanic? That's what they call their techs (plus you're in my favorite area to ride).
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

I think I read somewhere that the shutters are closed all the time and open when the engine or coolant temperature rises to the point that more air is required to cool it off.

Would be cool to see some visual indicator though that showed their position. I'm sure its in the computer somewhere. Lol