DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
In today's Sunday newspaper there was a quick write up about the Cummins going into the Nissan Titan. It is slated to have 300 HP and 550 lb/ft of torque. Those are numbers that would work in a 1/2 ton. Too bad the Titan is such an ugly truck.
looks are subjective. when the time comes, i might have to give that a look.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Diesel
Rep:12
Geodasher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon74 View Post
you guys realize there is significant costs added to the regular maintenance of owning a diesel right? The mpg numbers may be close but your not figuring in anything for the maintenance and the cost of urea....let alone can the ED really be driven on short city runs and not have issues? Diesel's are meant to get hot when they are driven, short trips don't so anything good for them. Teflon
The DEF will add about $40-$50 every 10k miles but total maintenance costs are roughly the same as for a gas engine. As for avoiding short trips, that's the conventional wisdom for the heavy-duty truck diesels. However, the EcoDiesel is a modern, European design that takes into account shorter trips and provides ample warning when the emissions system needs to heat up. Neither maintenance cost nor operational limitations are major problems.

Check out "Total Cost of Ownership: A Gas Versus Diesel Comparison" for a comprehensive cost analysis. For a new truck the biggest owner costs are depreciation, fuel, and insurance and fees. The total cost varies widely by brand but the study notes, "The estimates of savings for three and five years of ownership vary from a low of $67 in three years to a high of $15,619 in five years, but most of the savings are in the $2,000 to $6,000 range, which also include the extra cost that is usually added to the diesel version of a vehicle." The high premium for the Ram 2500 Cummins makes them a near wash with the gas version. That's probably still true for the 1500 EcoDiesel. The choice really depends on individual needs and driving style.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

I thought about waiting for the diesel, but I'm not one that is eager to be a test mule. I typically wait at least a year for bugs to be worked out of a new model.

I figured by the time they worked through all the delays and then have it out for a year or better, I'd be in the mood to trade anyway - that is IF it lives up to the hype. I don't trust the "reviewers" who get their revenue from advertisers of the same products they are "reviewing".

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Rep:10
jeepers94 is on a distinguished road

You also have to remember the trade in value will most likely cut the price difference in half.
I would bet you will recover $1500 or more on a new truck in 3 years.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron4969 View Post
I think most of us wish the Eco-diesel would come with a bit more hp and torque but in reality it may not be all that bad. I have a years experience with a 3.0L diesel so will tell you my observations. First of all it is a Mercedes-Benz 3.0L. A year ago my wife and I purchased a 2013 MB GL350 bluetec which comes with the 3.0L diesel and 7 speed automatic. The power, torque and mileage are impressive and the "brochure" weight says 5,412 pounds, so not much less than the Ram crew cab with ED will be.

I also drive a 2007 GM Denali pickup with 6.2L engine (403 hp and 417 lb/ft of torque @4300 rpm) and 6 speed automatic. I pull our 20.5' boat with the pickup. It probably weighs about 5,000# including tandem trailer, boating accessories, etc. Recently I did a comparison towing test with the pickup and the MB. When towing, I use the manual shift mode to keep it in 5th gear, or less, and with the tow-haul mode on. I was on a nearby highway with a fairly long grade. As I approached the hill, in the pickup, I was in 5th gear, doing 100 km/hr and about 2,100 rpm. When I got about 1/4 way up the hill, the transmission down-shifted to 4th and the engine revved up to about 2,800 rpm in order to finish climbing the hill at 100 km/hr.

Then I hooked onto the boat with the MB. As it has a 7 speed transmission, I down-shifted it into 6th and found that it also was doing about 2,100 rpm to maintain 100 km/hr. As I approached the hill I gave it slightly more throttle and it pulled the hill effortlessly without needing to down-shift, maintaining the speed and 2,100 rpm. I was impressed and wish I had also tried it leaving it in 7th gear to see how it would have pulled in the top gear. Will do so in the spring.

I also did another comparison test recently to determine which axle ratio I should order, when I order the new Ram ED; either the 3:55 or 3:92. I tested (2) 2013 Ram's, both with the hemi and 8 speed transmission. One with the 3:55 and the other with 3:92. Interesting results. Both have great low end power, thanks in part to the stump pulling 4.71:1 first gear ratio in the transmission. But at the highway speed the difference was noticeable. On my test route the highway has a long, slight incline. The 3:92 pulled it in 8th, doing 100 km/hr without down-shifting. The 3:55 down-shifted into 7th to maintain it's speed. On another, steeper grade, the 3:92 down-shifted once into 7th to climb the hill and maintain 100 km/hr and the 3:55 down-shifted twice, into 6th, to pull the same hill. Interestingly, I drove the same hill with the MB and it did not down-shift at all to pull the hill. The difference is the great low-end torque. The MB's 455 lb/ft of torque is from 1,600 - 2,400 rpm. (The ED's 420 torque is at 2,000 so comparable rpm). The hemi's 407 lb/ft is not reached until 3,950 rpm. I wonder how much torque it has at 2,000 rpm?

Now at 100 km/hr the MB in 7th gear is doing 1,700 rpm. Comparably, at 100 km/hr, the 3:92 Ram also runs at 1,700 rpm in 8th gear and the 3:55 Ram runs at 1,500 rpm. From the testing I have done I have decided I will order the ED with the 3:92 rear axle ratio. I want the pickup to have as close to the same pulling power as our MB as I want to use the pickup for towing. With the MB we don't have a choice in rear axle ratios but MB saw it in their wisdom to gear this vehicle as described above. For those of you concerned about acceleration and towing ability, I would recommend the 3:92, IMO. MB claim in their sales brochure a 1 - 100 km/hr acceleration of 8.4 seconds. Hopefully the Ram will be comparable with the 3:92 ratio.

As far as fuel mileage, I have gotten as high as 30 (Imperial) mpg on the highway and it usually averages about 28 mpg on freeway driving. Around town, even in the wintertime I have gotten 20 mpg.
I hope this information helps and can't wait to place an order.
Great write and feedback
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Rep:58
RC51 will become famous soon enough

You also have to remember the trade in value will most likely cut the price difference in half.
I would bet you will recover $1500 or more on a new truck in 3 years.
Unfortunately the difference in payment and interest would negate $1500 savings. I normally trade my vehicles quite often 3-5 years but looking at re-sale value of the Dodge Rams, and the new cost of replacement, I probably need to keep it at least 5 years.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Rep:10
jeepers94 is on a distinguished road

You can't figure the payment on the $1500,that is already in the picture. As far as interest,I paid 1.6%. On $1500 that is nominal!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Rep:58
RC51 will become famous soon enough

I would be paying interest on the full amount of the truck. Which is $4 K more than gas. The $1500 would only be the gain in resale not what I would pay for the overall increase in price of the vehiclle. Our Canadian interest through Ram is 4.29 percent.