So, I got a new Dremel. So, I had some mods set aside. So, I did some mods. Since it is still winter I couldn't go all out and actually put them on the truck. Here is what I did:
I taped off around the area I was going to cut to make sure I didn't mark up anything I wanted to keep. I used a cutting wheel instead of the cutting bit as it seemed to create less residue. I left the center piece connected to create more area for the adhesive as well as structure.
The custom badges aren't permanently attached yet for two reasons:
1) I still need to trim the covers to fit the Ram 5.7 as they are for a Charger.
2) I am not 100% sure what I should use to keep these permanently attached. Do I use 3M tape? Do I use Gorilla Glue? What can I use that will adhere plastic to plastic and be able to withstand the heat and cold of the engine bay?
I did this on my dining room table. Yes, I live alone. Weird huh? Anyway, I had the Dremel in my right hand and the vacuum hose in the other. The valve covers have rubber boots that sit on posts on the engine. These work perfectly in holding the cover from moving around while I was cutting. On one side anyway. The other side I probably should have clamped it down but it wasn't that bad actually. I highly recommend taping around your work area. The Dremel kicked a couple of times and ran across the tape. In the end I used my knife to get rid of the burrs around the cuts. This worked quicker and cleaner then using a grinding wheel or cone. Now that I see these pics I might just mask the chrome lines on the top and paint them white.
I cut the lettering out over just grinding them down for less mess and quickness. I think it turned out pretty well.