DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Color: White
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road
Default A sad story with a happy ending

Some of you may have noticed, others may have not. I have been absent from the forumz for quite some time, since right about the end of July. Well the reason behind this was my beautiful 2012 sport was stolen from Albuquerque New Mexico while I was visiting my in-laws. Late august after a month of the police not finding the truck the insurance company decided that it was a total loss, and began the payoff process. I lost the close to $4,000 dollars in aftermarket upgrades 3,000 dollars worth of item in the truck itself and of course the 1 year old $40,000 dollar truck. I got the majority of the moneys worth of personal items back and I'll be zeroed out for the truck because fortunately I had gap insurance. I really ended up losing 4k I spent on aftermarket stuff becuase the insurance company says that performance parts are personal preference items and don't add value to the truck and because they are directly auto related couldn't be covered under my renters insurance.

After this was all said and done I was pretty upset as you all could imagine. I decided that a new truck payment was something I did not want at the moment and that I didn't want to catch the mod bug again for a while. I started browsing craiglist for something cheap to just drive. I miraculously found something that was not only cheap and running but still pretty cool. A 1996 Jeep Cherokee, had a little 3in lift and some offroad lights. Nothing fancy but it was only 2200 dollars. So I buy this cool little XJ and literally the first day I get it on the road with the new plates and registration I clip the rear end of a lady who decided stop signs didn't apply to here and pulled out in front of me. Oh the luck. So fortunately it was 100% her fault and her insurance company took care of everything and after two weeks they decided that the jeep was also a total loss. Once again I was vehicle-less.

So the hunt begins once again. This time I could not find anything worth while for the price I wanted to spend the 2k jeep was like a unicorn in a sea full of overpriced mules. I expanded my search to something cheap but still would require financing when I found another unicorn. I found a very well priced though well used 2006 Ram 2500 5.9l After a check by a mechanic and thumbs up by a mechanic I now own a sweet a$$ diesel and I can smile again because I'm back in a Ram and to be honest the 3rd Gens are my favorite body style.

So after a long painful two month process I am finally back in a Ram and I already have the mod bug. If you thought having the bug on a 1500 gasser was bad take a look at one of the performance sections of the diesel forums. Good lord Just to be able to start is about 5-6k for a transmission due to the fact that the 48re is a POS, and man is it a whole new learning curve. Fortunately the truck had some mods already done that will save me some money in the long run. 5" in Rough country lift, Ranch hand front bumper, 18"XD Rockstar rims, (if anyone has a set of black 2500 wheels they'd want to trade for machined w/ black trim rockstars let me know) triple gauge pod and a 5" turbo back exhaust. It had no blow by and the injectors are good. The thing I was most surprised about is how well it drives and rides with the lift. No death wobble, and it has no upgraded steering components. I bought a set of dual steering stabilizers and a steering gearbox brace to help out with the little bit of loose steering it has but overall it has been worth the 14K I paid for it.

Thats my sad story with a happy ending, also looking for a front 40/20/40 seat set from a 4th gen with the underseat jumpseat storage for the right price color doesn't matter. I'm gonna post it in the FS/WTB section. The 3rd gen seats definitely leave something to be desired when it comes to comfort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.jpg (48.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

awesome...glad to hear everything worked out in your favor...sorry to hear about the wretched strain of bad luck but glad your back in something you love

MODS in profile
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is one story. I don't know if I could recover if my truck was stolen. Sure I would find a replacement but wow... what a blow!

Glad to see you back around and back in a Ram!

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hate that your truck was jacked, but thanks for sharing. Better luck from now on to you and yours.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Hey, nice looking truck. Don't believe what you hear, the 48re is a pretty good transmission. Its when the engine is hot rodded that problems occur.

If you read any of the diesel forums, you see a lot of posts that read as follows: "My truck is all stock and I just lost my transmission. I don't understand it, my only mods are 100 hp sticks, dual turbos, different intake, a 12" stack, nitrous, and tuner set to level 10. I drive the truck so gentle to the drag races and I was only on my 30th boosted 4 wheel drive launch when the tranny let go. These 48re transmissions are junk!"

Leave the truck stock or near stock and the transmission will last you well over 100,000 miles.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1517
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

That really sucks about your truck being taken AND the insurance company not paying up. I specifically asked my insurance company (I switched as soon as I bought my new one.) what was covered. They told me anything that is "bolted" to the vehicle. I know what it is like looking for a vehicle when you need one. It really alters your perspective on what to get. I am lucky and live in a city that is relatively free of auto theft. Glad to hear something good happened at least.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Glad that there was a happy ending. With any luck you've used up your portion of bad luck for a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG time.

welcome back to the Z

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Prone to maundering

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, man! Have to agree with Excoastie on using up all the bad luck at one time. All's well that ends well they say, but still sucks getting your baby stolen! May the truck Gods smile upon you from here on out. And welcome back!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1463
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Sheesh. Sounds like you went through hell and yet escaped on the other side. Glad to hear you found a replacement, even happier that it lasted longer than your Jeep purchase and even more elated to know that it is a Ram that you are pleased to be back in! Congrats on the happy ending; apologies and sympathy for the long road to get there.

Here's to no more bad luck for an infinite amount of time (at least long enough for you to run your Ram into the ground so if someone tries to jack her too, at least they won't get much lol!). And.. welcome back to the Z! Glad to have you with us again!

Now.. about that mod bug...
Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

How did your truck get stolen? I thought with the security keys they couldn't be started without it