DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default Thinking about plasti-dip

On my up coming move back to Texas. This move will bring me south from Seattle to Vegas, the Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, Grand Canyon, and then east to Denton Texas, where I will be settling in the new home my wife and I are in the process of trying to buy, while I am attending University of North Texas.

Anywhoo, my idea is to plasti-dip EVERY forward facing painted and chrome surface on the truck about a week before I am due to leave. I will leave it on until I arrive at my destination and then simply peel it off, bugs and all.

My thinking here is that if I put it on thick enough, it will shield my FLAWLESS brilliant black metallic pearl paint from rock chips and dings on the trip. I was going to do the hood, grille, bumper, and fenders back to the doors.

Thoughts?

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure it will do more good then nothing and help form some level of protection. It will look a little funny, but hell if it helps then it is all good.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

It wont look any worse than blue painters tape on my 06 civic for 4,000 miles LMAO!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Considering that Plasti-Dip only costs something like $6.00 in the US, I'd say Plasti-Dip it all.......well maybe not the wife!!

At $20.00 bucks a can up here, it would almost be cheaper to fix the one or two rock chips that you would get. LOL.......
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
Considering that Plasti-Dip only costs something like $6.00 in the US, I'd say Plasti-Dip it all.......well maybe not the wife!!

At $20.00 bucks a can up here, it would almost be cheaper to fix the one or two rock chips that you would get. LOL.......
19.99 at home depot and canadian tire .. performance shop sells for 16 bucks here.. then you get people on kijiji selling cheaper too.. I have a good amount of plasti-dipp on my truck.. Need 6 bucks cans

And ya.. plasti-dipp will for sure look better then blue painters tape lol.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 AM
US Army Retired

Its $5.99/ can at lowes, or I can nab it on sale for $4.99 a can at wally world. At that price, if you canucks pay shipping i can send it to ya, but by then you might as well buy it yourself LOL! I cant imagine I would need more than 5 cans or so to do the front end.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Its $5.99/ can at lowes, or I can nab it on sale for $4.99 a can at wally world. At that price, if you canucks pay shipping i can send it to ya, but by then you might as well buy it yourself LOL! I cant imagine I would need more than 5 cans or so to do the front end.
Really? I just got a can at Walmart and it was $13.88. I got screwed then... I haven't seen it online for less than $8 + shipping.

But it should work well for your application. Just tape everything off. Plastidip comes up easy with more coats, but the overspray can be a big of a pain to remove if its thin.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dodge.ram is on a distinguished road

As stated above make sure you put it on thick.

This stuff can take forever to get off if its on there too thin. If it goes on thick you can take it off in one piece if your lucky.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
Trim Level: Sport 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
TheMeat54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
Really? I just got a can at Walmart and it was $13.88. I got screwed then... I haven't seen it online for less than $8 + shipping.

But it should work well for your application. Just tape everything off. Plastidip comes up easy with more coats, but the overspray can be a big of a pain to remove if its thin.
You folks have me all beat! Plasti dip runs $36.00 a can here in Canada at Home Depot nonetheless. The key to Plasti Dip and its removal is the number of coats you put on. From my experience with the product you have to apply 4 to 7 coats in order to have it peel off evenly. Check out YouTube and www.dipmyride.com for helpful tips and how to.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Seems like massive overkill to me. You are going to spend hours and $$$ protecting it, then hours more peeling it off. You are really not at any more risk of a rock chip on a 2000 mile highway trip than you are in a month or two of driving around town. Unless you are going to be tailgating gravel haulers on dirt roads I really don't see a higher than normal risk. Of course the last "chip" I got in my hood was from a rock the size of a softball from a gravel hauler heading the opposite direction. Took out my hood, fender, A-pillar and windshield.