DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tmaster182 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some questions answered about exhaust upgrade please!!

I am looking to upgrade my exaust on my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L. I am looking for a kit that is not crazy loud but still gives it a nice rumble. Also that allows more airflow to improve MPG. My main concerns about doing this upgrade would be: would an after market exhaust kit void my warrenty? and with the engine shutdow from 8 cylinders to 6 cylinders cause any issues with sound or overall performance of the kit?

Anyone that has had experience with this or knows the answers please fill me in on what I need to know and what kit is the best for my truck and the money.

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

An 18" Magnaflow sounds like a great option for you. It will give you a little more noise but won't be obnoxiously loud. Plus it will flow much better than stock. Don't expect very much as far as MPG gains though.... a muffler by itself won't give you that. Since your truck already has the dual exhaust out the back the best option for you is a muffler swap. Just get the muffler and some extra pipe and swap it in place of the stock muffler. I would also consider removing the stock resonators as well for better sound. If you want to spend the money you can always get a full Magnaflow cat back system but you won't be gaining much by doing that.

When the engine goes into MDS mode (4 cylinders, not 6) you will obviously get a bit of a different sound. With a muffler that's not overly aggressive like the 18" Magnaflow most guys don't report too much of a drone.

You shouldn't have any issues with warranty. Obviously your dealership won't be doing any warranty work on your exhaust anymore. But if you have a problem that's completely unrelated to exhaust it will still be fixed no problem. Unless they can prove that your mod was the cause of the problem, they can't deny you warranty work.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Sport13 is on a distinguished road

I put a Flo-Pro muffler on my truck at the local shop. It sounds great driving around. I also didn't want anything to loud. I pull a trailer uite often, and was concerned about the exhaust out the rear bouncing off the trailer and making it louder, but was quite happy. There is some drone pulling a trailer, if you are below 2000 RPM, but if you are over 2000, it is better and fairly quite in the cab. Also, when it cuts down to 4 cylinders, you can notice it more with the different muffler. My brother in law has a 09 truck with a Flowmaster 44, and reported very similar results.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Silver
Rep:197
jaray has a spectacular aura aboutjaray has a spectacular aura about

I wanted something a little different than all the Flowmaster's and Magnaflows around so I bought a Gibson Catback for my 2013 sport.
Had it on my 2012 and just swapped it over when I got my 2013.
I didn't want to be just one of those same old trucks running around with loud exhaust. I wanted something with a nice sound that barks when I punch it but sounded really cool at cruise. I absolutely love it with the ceramic black tips too...just something a little different.
No offense to anyone, that's just something I wanted.

The Gibson site doesn't show it for the dual rear, but I called them and they assured me it fits. It was perfect.
Gibson Cat-back exhaust w/black tips, S&B CAI, MGP caliper covers, Recon LED 3rd brake light, Bilstein 5100's, Daystar 1" rear coil spacers, Weathertech floor liners, Westin Ultimate series bull bar, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Mopar T- Handle, Kicker speaker upgrade
Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Oops, looks like I need to change my signature. Loving the sport now too!
Gibson Cat-back exhaust w/black tips, S&B CAI, MGP caliper covers, Recon LED 3rd brake light, Bilstein 5100's, Daystar 1" rear coil spacers, Weathertech floor liners, Westin Ultimate series bull bar, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Mopar T- Handle, Kicker speaker upgrade
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
13RamKing is on a distinguished road

I went with the 14 inch magna flow, everyone who says its loud is totally wrong. I have the 5.7L 8 speed sport and it's not even loud since it shifts at low rpm and has that nice tone for a truck. Ive heard the 18 inch magnaflow and feel they are a slight improvement over stock but not by much. I didnt want a loud exhaust and the 14inch magnaflow is perfect. Although the tone does change when the MSD kicks on and off its not the bad and can be turned on and off with a decent tuner. I didnt get a bolt on muffler from online because the bolt on mufflers are like $275-$300 for a mufflex shipped and it's a bolt on. Instead I went to a reputable race exhaust shop and ordered a 14" magnaflow and they welded the entire muffler on, looks great and no leaks. It's never gonna come off my truck so why get a bolt on kit. Oh and the magnaflow 14" muffler including install was only $230. So I save my time and money and get the same product for less!!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaray View Post
I wanted something a little different than all the Flowmaster's and Magnaflows around so I bought a Gibson Catback for my 2013 sport.
Had it on my 2012 and just swapped it over when I got my 2013.
I didn't want to be just one of those same old trucks running around with loud exhaust. I wanted something with a nice sound that barks when I punch it but sounded really cool at cruise. I absolutely love it with the ceramic black tips too...just something a little different.
No offense to anyone, that's just something I wanted.

The Gibson site doesn't show it for the dual rear, but I called them and they assured me it fits. It was perfect.
Any differences you noticed between the two trucks?

Grub out!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I have and would recommend for you, as I had the same needs list, an 18'' or 22'' Maggie, resonator delete and 5'' black MBRP tips. I bought the same setup, 22'' in my case, took it to my exhaust shop and had them delete the resonators, which you have to do to fit the 5'' tips. shoot me an email for forum member pricing. eric@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Grubrunner, I don't really notice any real difference between trucks as they're practically the same engine. Although, the MDS drone seems a bit less on the highway (which is nice).
I always have the truck in tow/hall mode to keep it from going to eco mode in the city anyway...I like the quicker back shifts and
Slightly higher rpm...makes for a very nice cruising tone with the exhaust.
It's kinda nice when someone says "I heard your truck go by the other day, sounded really cool...what kind of exhaust is that"? Know I made the right choice when it's gets noticed apart from everyone else hehe
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 08 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
RAMPWR is on a distinguished road

I have 14" Magnaflows, I honestly could not have been happier with them. They aren't too loud at all, when your just cruising around it has a really nice low rumble too it. As far as how much better it is for performance and mpg, I did notice like a small increase in my mpgs maybe 2 or 3 miles to the gallon. As far as voiding your warranty, I have no clue, I've been told by a couple people that it does, and by others that it doesn't void your warranty. My 08 truck also has MDS, highway you barely even notice the change in sound if you can even hear it at all, if your around 1700-1800rpms it just has a faint low rumble. However, I live in a hilly backwoods area, and I do notice the change in sound, and I was afraid it would drone and sound awful but it's not even that noticeably different. And if your that picky about the sound in 6cyl mode you can get tuner and chips that can keep in in v8 mode. BUT I don't notice it that much, and it's defiantly worth the 22mpg highway I get I paid $80 for each for my mufflers ( I have true dual) Flowmaster also makes mufflers competitively, so you'll find them around the same price generally, but magnaflow or flowmaster mufflers you won't be disappointed