DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default particular filter 100% clogged

I have a very early 07 with the 6.7 L CTD, I have had trouble from the beginning with the filter clogging, it was in the dealership for a month when new(can't remember the milage the first time) and today the filter clogged again at 55K miles, thank God its still under warranty, This truck has had a history of this happening, next time I will be out of warranty. The truck never said 80% this time so I was unaware of it building up. The dealership has done several flashes and updates, but again in for a new particular filter. I'm sure there is many post on this but I'am new to this forum and need advise on handleing this after the warranty expires and most inportantly how to prevent this from happening. I do use the truck for daily driving and do pull a 40 foot 5th wheel, several times a year. I appreciate any advise.
Thank you,
Bobby A
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Are you driving with the brake on all the time? Need to also keep your RPMs 1600 and above& no idling time to speak of.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
erm

I've heard from some of my contractor friends who have had this problem. They do idle their trucks a lot, especially during the winter, and they just keep having this problem.

One of them was advised by his service tech to take it on the open road now and then and blow it out, i.e., go for a few WOT passes.

He hates this new feature, the particulate filter (not particular but I kinda like the twist on words there) as his prior Dodge diesel trucks didn't have it and therefore, he didn't have this problem. He did say, however, that blowing it out from time to time reduced the problem to almost nothing.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the best thing I can say is make sure you get it out for a nice long drive if you've had it idle for a while. I know I have Issues with the DPF on my ford having the same issue if I idle it for a while.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 AM

Thanks guys, I was beginning to think no one wanted to answer my question. The funny thing hear is I do drive on the freeway often, I just got back last week from a 120 mile round trip on the freeway and a couple weeks before that I did a 400 mile round trip on mostly freeway. My overhead never indicated that the regen was in process non did it tell me it was 80% full like it is suppose to do. The only warning I had was the engine lost power and then the check engine light came on and I parked the truck. The next morning I took the truck to the dealer that is 25 miles away and then the overhead announced service required take to dealer, about a mile from the dealer the overhead announced filter 100% filled. I just don't know what to think at this point.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Knock on wood, I have't experienced that yet. We have had the particulate % full notice but not 100%. Then we take it out on the freeway and really abuse her! My tech did tell me that I am not aggressive on her enough. I guess our trucks really can handle any abuse we can throw at them. Keep us posted on insight your dealer can give as to why you received no partial full % notice. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1882
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I wish I could see the incremental times on this engine. I'd be willing to bet my hat that there's a lot of time clocked in the 0-10%, 10-20% and 20-30% range.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 PM
erm

Yeah and that ^^^^ would be almost as bad as an idle over a longer period of time.

You just gotta get that EGT up and burn it out routinely.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks guys for all the input, I pick up my truck from the dealership tomorrow(Tuesday) and I will talk to the tech about why I never got a 80% notice or a regen in process notice on my overhead. I will keep you all posted.

Bobby A
Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Got the truck back with new particulate filter and relate sensors and hoses, the tech that did the work couldn't explain why I never got % on the overhead other than sounds like a software problem. I talked to the service manage and sent documentation explaining the events prior to, during and after the check engine light came on. He is gonna talk to someone in corporate.

While I have your alls attention please see my new thread that I'am going to create right now, I would appreciate any input on this as well. Thanks a lot !!
Bobby A