DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

There's a possibility, but the stalling after warmed up and not starting could be. Get under the truck with a dead-blow mallet (kinda soft tip) and tap on the converter to see if there's anything rattling around in there.

Likewise with the fuel tank. When it wont start have someone crank it while you're hitting the tank to see if it starts.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Rep:42
cdetterer is on a distinguished road

Warlock, maybe you can help me with this too. I actually just picked this truck up, and when I got it didnt have any of the transfercase vac lines on it, Well I ordered a new harness. Would you know of where i could find a like diagram of where everything plugs in. I know which plug goes into the transfercase and the axle.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

The CAD is the vacuum shift motor/actuator on the front axle pass side.

It's for a diesel but it's the same diagram for the vacuum lines on the 4wd.

How's that Cody?

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 09-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM

That is awesome! that was really quick, I found one like that online it looked more like a wiring diagram though. So the the green like would be a vent right?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Yep, green is the vent and black and red go up front

DISCLAIMER
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
ozzyram97 is on a distinguished road

my 97 dodge ram 5.2 liter is having the same problem as the original post. i decided to do a full tune up. i changed the cap and roter, plugs and wires, pcv valve, cranck case breather, air filter, and oil change. Now its running even worse! Doesn't shift out of first gear and bogs down a lot. I hear rattling from the converter case while it's idling (which its doing under 1000 RPM). Any help will be welcomed thank you very much.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

If the converter is rattling then I'd say the paladium is clogging it up as it moves around. The back-pressure locks all the little pieces together restricting the exit of the exhaust. Seriously, while it's running try hitting it with a hammer hard enough to dislodge them. Listen for a different tone and see if there's any whitish powder in the tailpipe afterwards.

DISCLAIMER
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Default UPDATE on Jerky Pickup

UPDATE
I would like to apologize first Im sorry I have been working my for on and havent been able to work or update you guys.

OK so I was able to get some work done, I changed the Ignition Coil and the connector. I changed the Cap and rotor(Im glad I did, the inside of the cap was snow white). Also new plugs. And the truck for one didn't die, and It also ran a little better, but there was still a little jerky at around 30MPH.

I also had unplugged the upstream O2 sensor and it was still back firing really bad.( I have a new one coming so it will be in ASAP). I also banged on the Cat, there wasnt any white that came out, but the RPMs would come up and settle back down as I was hitting it. The pipes sounded a little better after the beating.

Some things I noticed: The truck has been burning oil really bad, a quart within 200 miles. But it isnt leaking on the ground and it smells burnt after driving. The intake cover is cracked pretty good.

Its still running pretty rough? what are your guys thoughts or comments?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Is there any MORE back-pressure coming out of the exhaust? Because it definitely sounds like it's clogged.

The oil burning/consumption issue may have led to its early demise. Does it burn blue smoke or any puffs starting from a stop?

The cracked intake cover...are you talking about the CAI (Cold Air Intake/Air cleaner assembly)?

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 09-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Ya the Air cleaner Plastic Im sorry, Im not to worried about I had plans to but a CAI system on it.
I blows blueish smoke, and the inside of the tail pipes are Black and just lined in sut.
There is definatly more pressure. I didnt knock on it very much but I did a little.
How is it burning so much oil in such little time?