DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CTD Limited
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
m5guy is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 Limited 2500 Diesel - 2k mile review

I wanted to take a quick few minutes and provide a review to this board on my experiences with my new 2014 Ram. Members of this board were incredibly helpful (understatement) during my order process. So, to summarize - I ordered a 14 Limited - Black with Black interior, Cummins, non-air rear (not available at the time), crew cab, standard bed... fully loaded. There were some challenges during the order process, but those are pretty well documented on this board in other threads, easy to find with search.

Build quality of the truck is better than I anticipated. I'd give it a "B" grade. Fit and finish on most items internally and externally are well done. Body lines are straight and gaps in panels are consistant. The paint is a little weak as it has some orange peel and there are a few flaws in the paint - dirt mostly which is minor. Ordered the optional tri-fold bed cover and that is a nice, flexible and fairly well engineered addition.

Pros on the truck. Cummins engine is consistantly strong. Torque curve is flat and does a great job providing power. So strong that I do have an issue with the rear tires spinning from start while towing - and I'm not even trying. The new coil spring rear suspension is fantastic. I would suggest that the rear ride quality is just as smooth as the 2012 Sierra Denali half-ton that it replaced. Front ride is significantly stiffer than the GM product but expected as it's a 2500. The "squat" factor with my boat (see picture) is non existant. The boat pulls very smoothly. Total weight on the trailer is just a bit short of 10k with all of our gear onboard. This is the reason I bought this truck and it certainly hasn't disappointed in this space. The interior of the truck is very nice. Leather quality is high (on par with the quality of leather in my BMW M5). The leather buckle on the rear of the seats is a bit cheesy, thinking about taking a pair of scissors to the strap. Heated and ventilated seats work very well. Heated steering wheel equally as well. Instrument cluster configurability and personalization is great. My wife has been most impressed with how easy the uConnect system is to operate. She thinks is cool.

On the diesel, very quiet while in motion, cabin is wisper quiet at highway speeds. You can't tell its a diesel unless you go through the drivethrough. Noisy enough that I turn it off when ordering. A small price to pay for the performance. As far as mileage, I am averaging right around 19mpg on the EVIC. Not sure I trust it, but seems directionally correct as I am not OCD enough to hand calc. It's not an eco diesel, it's the not-so-eco diesel, but much better than my previous gas powered trucks. That ~19mpg is 75% highway, 25% city and only about 10% of that time is towing the boat. With the boat on, MPG drops... Guess avg about 13-14. No issue holding speed on the highway. 80mph up hill or down, piece of cake.

Cons/problems with the truck. I'm about to list out a few problems - these are some point issues that I've had but I want to emphasize that this is not a "gripe" list... yet. If these kind of items continue, that may change. First, all four tires were severely out of balance on delivery, chalk that up to a dealer delivery issue. Within the first 500 miles, I got my first check engine light. It was a "coolant" code and the dealer reset. Shortly after that, we had a no-start condition at Culvers with the family. Message on the display of Key-fob not found. Eventually, after about 15 minutes we were able to get the truck started but had a tow truck and a ride on the way. A few weeks later, recall information for this issue was received in the mail. Took to dealer, reprogramming complete, problem solved (I think). Next, Tire Pressure Monitor in driver front tire went AWOL and illuminated the check tire light on the dash. Dealer tried to reset but no luck. Non stock part, need to order. New one is in stock and need to make my 3rd trip to service. Hopefully the last.

A few other points on the truck - it is a 2500, but the transmission is lacking finesse. I'm not expecting Mercedes/Cadillac precision, but it's clunky and generally just harsh. It's not so extreme that it's a deal breaker, but it's not as refined as I would have expected. Primarily when backing out of the gas and decelerating. Always a big cluck there. As far as exterior styling, the rear of the truck is very well done. I'm still not a fan of the Dodge/Ram front end and like the look of the new GMC Denali HD better, the drivetrain on the GMs are better as well (allison primarily), but the rest of the RAM truck won hands down over the GM twins.

Overall, very capable truck platform and the Limited package really adds some bling to the utility of the truck. The stitching on some of the interior panels could go away and I'd be happy (I think they call it the filigree stitching) but it's kinda girly. Love to answer any questions anyone has about the truck as well as provide any additional perspectives. Thanks to the members of the board that helped me through the order process and answered a lot of my newbie questions early on as I decided what to purchase. I still believe this is the best choice of the big three but the competition is always out there - and we all benefit! I'll be keeping a close eye on the market as I've only got 2 years and 10 months until the next one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9077_small.jpg (118.9 KB, 103 views)
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Great looking truck and boat! Thanks for the great write up; it's always nice to read a well written review with both pros and cons. The Cummins definitely is a great motor to have in the truck. It will be even better once it breaks in. Same goes for your transmission. Give it a little time to really break it and it should get a little better than what you are experiencing.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: TRX 4
Color: Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:48
Giants89 is on a distinguished road

Very well written and informative review! I have my eyes on a 2014 2500 Cummins in the Black out edition. I test drove the truck today, and can very well relate to the so called "clunkiness" in the transmission, especially when down shifting or letting off on the gas as stated by m5guy.. Overall, I' am in the love with the endless power and torque the 6.7 Cummins has to offer. Tomorrow I will be returning to the dealer to work some numbers on my 1500 and the 2500. Thanks again for the review!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie QC
Color: Blue Streak Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
dleininger is on a distinguished road

Good write up, sweet truck and that boat...oh my...I'm officially jealous.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
thebluegoat is on a distinguished road

Is the clunkiness the exhaust brake or is it just that rough when downshifting?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: TRX 4
Color: Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:48
Giants89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluegoat View Post
It's only noticeable while upshifting and downshifting. The exhaust break works great!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CTD Limited
Color: Black
Rep:10
m5guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluegoat View Post
Definitely not the exhaust brake. I haven't used it much, but on a few down hill grades it works very well. Would be interested to see how well it works with more weight behind me but rarely pull anything heavier than the boat. If you listen closely, you can hear the exhaust brake work, but it's definitely not a big rig Jake Brake sound.

Clunk is definitely in the driveline, transmission is the culprit. It's noticeable, but not severe. Mostly I'm learning to adapt my driving style and try to roll gently out of the throttle instead of full lift. Hope that it will work out a little smoother after some more break-in time. I'll try and get a 5k update out there at some point but that's at least 4-5 months out.