DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
Horm is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise Control my A$$

Has anyone else had issues with the huge range in the so called "cruise (or speed) control"?
I just returned from a 6,000 km trip out East towing a 23' travel trailer with my '13 5.7L Hemi 4x4 CC Sport. When using the cruise control the speed would drop as much as 12 km/h before the cruise woud kick down a gear and start gaining speed again. The truckers were just loving me! Just as they would start passing me up a grade, the cruise would finally kick down a gear and the Hemi does what she does best and speeds right back past them again! It also seemed to cruise along at 2 or 3 km's below the set point and really didn't care if it wasn't running at what I set it at, it would get there eventually, maybe?
Has anyone else been having similar issues?
I noticed it was a little out of wack before pulling the travel trailer, but that was nuts!
I live by cruise control on the highway and have never seen a vehice with this huge of a range in speeds!
Would a tuner help? I'm assuming it would help the mileage of 21L/100km (11 mpg) cruising at 95 km/h (59 mph) with the trailer?
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport Crew
Rep:26
dodgehemi0 is on a distinguished road

I dont think cruise control was intend to be used while towing.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Cruise control is not designed to be used while towing, however it can be done, but it's not a good practice as the computer can not tell what the trailer is doing behind you when it accelerates, holds a gear, or downshifts, possible causing loss of control; same thing for using cruise in winter driving conditions.

That said, when it's engaged, do you have tow/haul on a well? I know it kills the gas mileage, but hauling while in the OD gear isn't a good idea for your trans life especially since you're downshifting through the 2nd prime clutch pack.

If the cruise isn't running at your set speed then it's possible there's a calibration issue and that would be remedied by a reflash of your PCM by the dealership with all the newest updates. Have you talked to your dealership about the issue yet, they may have an updated flash to fix this or similar issues, you have a warranty for a reason.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks guys. I was using tow/haul and eventually I was turning off cruise at any inclines. I guess I figured the computer in these trucks would know when I was towing and would make the adjustments since the electric brakes are part of the system and it calculates a trailer trip odometer only when a trailer with electric brakes is plugged in, plus it's in tow/haul mode which should give the computer another clue. Your right though, cruise control is not good for fuel mileage.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Rep:10
sofaking is on a distinguished road

I understand your frustration. I assume you know that you can just step on the gas and over ride the cruise when going up a hill without disengaging the cruise?

My guess is that in the quest for maximum fuel economy the truck is programmed to slow down quite a bit before deciding to give it enough throttle to kick down a gear. Personally I wouldn't mind this as it saves on gas but I can understand the annoyance if you have someone behind or beside you going up the hill.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

No vehicle's Cruise Control maintains a steady set speed throughout the speed band when ascending and/or descending grades.

Our trucks aren't the best when it comes to these conditions - yes, I too experience it with a load - but I've driven worse.

The general theme here I agree with in regards to CC and towing..... especially on grades.

Grub out!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:133
BAB will become famous soon enoughBAB will become famous soon enough

I beg to differ that "no cruise control maintains a steady set speed when ascending or descending grades." My M-B S550 with Distronic Plus does, as does the cruise control in my Infiniti QX56. If you engage the Distronic Plus in stop and go traffic, the car stars and stops itself a set distance behind the car in front of you. I've had this car since 2007 and used this many times. The just out M-B S550 will also steer for you for a set time, even on curves using a stereoptic camera and computer set-up. I have used the cruise on my Infiniti towing a 2012 28' Airstream since I bought it about two years ago. It is NOT the best thing to use cruise when towing, but given the right terrain it works quite well. I would not use it in hilly terrain, but across West Texas? Absolutely! I'm awaiting delivery of my 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 CC with Cummins. I will try out cruise on the right terrain.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sofaking, I did push the accelorator when going up a grade without disengaging the cruise, but I would end up having to push it almost to the floor before it would accelerate and then it was basically a full throttle kick you back in your seat type acceleration.

Grubrunner, I understand that cruise control isn't perfect and will always have some variance (except for high end vehicles apparently) but I've never had one that drops almost 6 mph before accelerating.
The trailer I was pulling was only around 5,000 lbs. I had a 2003 GMC with the Duramax Diesel pulling 11,000 lbs and the cruise control didn't have this much range in it?
I'll check with the dealer to see if I need an update and get used to not using cruise when towing, which is typically when I'm on a longer road trip, oh well.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC
Trim Level: Big Horn CC
Color: black
Rep:11
BigDRammer is on a distinguished road

What gears do you have in the rear. My ford with 3.31 acted like you describe, couldn't hold speed without kicking down or hunting a lot. Now I have the Ram with Hemi and 3.92 gears. Talk about a world of difference. Holds speed good pulling my 6k boat without too much shifting. I can set the cruise at 65 and not have to override it going up hill. You would be surprised how much just gearing makes a difference.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tow, but i drive longer distances a lot & with a load in the bed

when i have cruise control on & ascending a grade, it drops down about 6 MPH below the setting, unless i am watching the speedo & give it a little push on the throttle, just as it starts to drop
Going downhill it will also go to about 6 or 7 MPG over what it is set at, not good when you have a Patrol car right behind you a ways

I believe that there is an issue with the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
either a software or hardware problem
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle