DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:354
karposvt is just really nicekarposvt is just really nicekarposvt is just really nicekarposvt is just really nice
Default Vararam install and opinion

So I finally got my Vararam! My wife got it for me for my birthday, gotta love it...

Installation is a breeze, pretty simple if you know what your doing. Yes I had to notch it around the A/C lines, but I knew that going into it. I also opted to trim the plastic cover for a cleaner look.

Fitment is good, I have read all the "it's flimsy" posts and yes it does seem flimsy, but it's a huge unit that is basically held on by a 3" hose so yes it's gonna be flimsy with the hood open...With the hood closed however, it seals perfectly and is nice and tight. I reached up from the bottom and tried to move it, and it doesn't budge!

Performance wise I am not only happy but pleasantly surprised. I have had a cold air intake on every car I have owned since I was 16, mostly K&N, some homemade, ebay kits, and one voolant. Honestly other than the noise of the air being sucked in, I've never really felt any noticeable difference in power...The vararam is the first one I can notice. It's not like I bolted on a supercharger, but I can feel that it pulls harder, especially in the upper RPM's, the throttle response is alittle better too across the board. I am a heavy equipment mechanic, so yes I can tell. I have to diagnose performance issues and the ever popular "It has no power" complaint alot...Most reviews are accurate that you cannot hear the sucking noise on it, however I did notice a difference in my exhaust tone, again in the upper RPM's, it is alittle deeper now...

I am extremely pleased with it, and let's be honest it is one bad$*! looking intake! My only complaint is that my wife ordered a smooth black lid so I could paint it and they sent the textured lid. However Vararam is sending my a new smooth lid free of charge, so problem fixed...

Pics:

DOD14M, Y pipe, resonator delete, 5" Tips, Belltech 2/4 drop, color matched interior, Upper Glovebox, Sport seat covers, Leather Wheel, Dball, ported TB, Vararam, 180* tstat, Hemifever tuned, custom 392 Half Covers
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

That looks great man. The Vararam gets a bad rap for a few fitment issues but when they are finally fitted right and all is sealed up tight..... Superbad!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I installed mine like 2 weeks ago. I'm not going to lie, but the instructions/pictures are absolute freaking garbage. Install time should be ~15 mins, but I spend another 15mins online looking for pictures of peoples installs, and another 15 mins taking it off/on trying to get the clamps positioned right so that it was easy to access to tighten.

That being said. I can fell an improvement for sure. Doing a half throttle merge onto the interstate this bad boy has some much needed extra scoot.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i got a S&B but i really wish i got the vararam instead mainly because i think its the coolest intake ive seen. i dont know why i went with the S&B over the vararam :/
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
Rep:10
jleblanc is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to get one on my truck. It's looks so good and it adds power so it's a win win.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Rep:42
Alter Ego Trip is on a distinguished road

While I can't side with a change of exhaust note, I will say there is a "slight" but noticeable improvement in power with the Vararam.

One thing I was surprised about was the better fit on the 13's. I originally ordered one for my 11 a couple months ago, and got a wild hair last month to trade it in for a 13. I had to order a new hose and lower plastic piece to work with the shutters on the 8spds (50 bucks later, ouch), and this new design fits a hundred times better. The intake is locked into position more and doesn't move at all. I also chose to leave my intake cover on and drill a hole through it to attach the breather. Looks much better. I hated the big empty space below before, but now looks more factory. I'm just debating on what to put in place of the factory airbox. The giant hole left behind there looks tacky as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:92
burtonxrider21 will become famous soon enough

I can't wait to get mine! I ordered it almost a month and a half ago and the damn thing still hasn't arrived... Starting to get a little bit pissed off!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram1500 2wd express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright White
Rep:25
mwarren2013Ram is on a distinguished road

Where is the best place to order one ?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Rep:42
Alter Ego Trip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarren2013Ram View Post
Got mine from BP formerly known as Discount Auto Performance. Quick shipping with no issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Rep:41
Vararam Industries is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarren2013Ram View Post
Call me direct at 713-477-8100 to order direct!!!!
Steve
Vararam