Rambox topper genius idea... - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Dodge Dakota Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
sfuflash23 is on a distinguished road
Default Rambox topper genius idea...

So, after searching around I have found nothing but disappointment from people with the rambox system wishing they could put a topper on their truck. I stumbled across this item and thought it might be the solution to many peoples problem. (see attachment)

Its called the EZ Lift system.

If this were to work it would be awesome because you could have a topper and still be able to access your rambox too!!

Has anyone tried to see if a topper would even fit the rambox bed since it is shaped ever so slightly different from the regular bed and has the raised plastic on the rambox. The biggest thing I have heard is that there is no way to attach the topper to the truck since the rambox doesn't support clamping the topper down such as regular truck beds do. The beauty of this system is that the actuators have enough downward force that they cam actually keep the topper in place once the actuators are retracted down.

Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24742_400x400.jpg (53.9 KB, 57 views)
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Silver
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
MAB is on a distinguished road

I see how this works, and it could be a way to get into the Ramboxes. However, I have to ask for conventional beds, what's the purpose of this anyway?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2929
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

this is why they made it

how it is installed

issues that may arise,
with the Rambox, you would have to make your own upper brackets
with the Rambox, you would lose the ability to put 4 foot wide products, like a 4' wide sheet of plywood would not fit flat on the floor, because of the 4 support posts

I am only guessing, but maybe you could put 4 pieces of 1/4" flat metal plate, front & rear on both sides INSIDE of the Rambox, then put 4 upside down pieces of angle iron on the bed side of the Rambox, | then bolt each inner plate through the Rambox sides & into the angle iron pieces. You would want to have the angle iron pieces high enough above the floor deck, to put something like 6 sheets of plywood under the angle iron for when you need the extra room.
Then buy something like 4 Lenco Electric Hatch Lift Actuators & mount them on the angle iron pieces & the trucks cap. You would have to make sure that they lift to whichever height that you want
There is one other thing that you would have to consider
When you open the Rambox lid, the hinge make the lid move inward a couple of inches, so the top mount would have to be built to allow for that movement .

I have not looked closely at a Rambox, what kind of material is the inner walls made of ?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
sfuflash23 is on a distinguished road

The inside of a rambox is made of plastic. My thoughts for the actuators was to mount them on the metal rail system on the upper edge of the bed. I would mount the actuators on the 4 corners so that I could still use the sliding tie down mounts on the rail system. mounted an actuator I got off of amazon (for another purpose) to the rail system and the rambox still opens just fine. This idea is solid, at least in my mind, but its just a risky decision to buy a topper and then it doesnt even fit the bed right to begin with. I know the rambox bed is ever so slightly longer than a regular bed so that is one of my concerns. So I was curious if anyone has even tried to see if a topper fits correctly with the slightly different dimensions of the bed. There is a guy near where I live that posted one on craigslist that is for a ram 1500 that I would like to see in order to test the fit out, but he hasnt emailed back yet.