DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light
Question ground loops still not fixed.

its about time for me to finally build my new sub box.

Before i ripped it all out i was having some ground loop problems where i got the sound of the engine playing through the subs (turns out that was like actually the sound of the alternator or something)

i installed a ground loop isolater and i slightly helped. subs were WAYY quiet, but the noise was still there, not as bad at all, but still there. i didnt have time to mess with it so i just pulled it all out.

before i build this box, how on earth do i fix this problem? is it because im running the ground and the power next to each other) the ground has that black plastic covering around it in the cab, not in the engine bay though.

ideas? solutions?

thanks.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I has alternator whine in my last system, but it wasn't to do with the subs themselves, it was actually coming from the headunit. In mine there were 2 small fuses that cancelled any electronic interference that had blown and I didn't want to take my head unit apart to fix them, so I just grounded the head unit housing and RCA jacks and that cut it out almost completely.

Running your power/ground next to each other isn't an issue, if you were running the RCAs and power next to each other, that's a different story.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

I don't know if you have installed a HID light kit. Sometimes the ballast from the HID lights give off radio interference.

Make sure you use shielded RCA cables for speaker hookup and not a single wire with a common frame ground.

Power your amp directly from the battery and ground your amp as close as possible to a frame ground. Use the same gauge wire for positive and ground wires for the amp.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I has alternator whine in my last system, but it wasn't to do with the subs themselves, it was actually coming from the headunit. In mine there were 2 small fuses that cancelled any electronic interference that had blown and I didn't want to take my head unit apart to fix them, so I just grounded the head unit housing and RCA jacks and that cut it out almost completely.

Running your power/ground next to each other isn't an issue, if you were running the RCAs and power next to each other, that's a different story.
how do you ground the case? how to you ground RCAs? I might also be looking into a newer aftermarket stereo with 3 sets or pre outs, mine only has 2. Could that also possibly help?
and the power and the RCAs are ran on the opposite side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
I don't know if you have installed a HID light kit. Sometimes the ballast from the HID lights give off radio interference.

Make sure you use shielded RCA cables for speaker hookup and not a single wire with a common frame ground.

Power your amp directly from the battery and ground your amp as close as possible to a frame ground. Use the same gauge wire for positive and ground wires for the amp.
i do not have HIDS haha. Its also the same gauge and grounded AT the battery.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
how do you ground the case? how to you ground RCAs? I might also be looking into a newer aftermarket stereo with 3 sets or pre outs, mine only has 2. Could that also possibly help?
and the power and the RCAs are ran on the opposite side.
take a short length of bare electrical lead (not single strand wire) and wrap it around the outside of each RCA post and collect them at any exterior casing screw, this grounds the negative side of the RCAs to the case if you have an internal RCA ground fuse gone. Then take the a lead and from another exterior case screw and run it to a clean body ground, this will ground the case to the frame, and should alleviate any RCA signal distortion.

Multiple RCAs won't cause any issues, they are just signal outs, but if you do get a new head unit, that would be a simple way to tell if you have RF interference or RCA noise.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
take a short length of bare electrical lead (not single strand wire) and wrap it around the outside of each RCA post and collect them at any exterior casing screw, this grounds the negative side of the RCAs to the case if you have an internal RCA ground fuse gone. Then take the a lead and from another exterior case screw and run it to a clean body ground, this will ground the case to the frame, and should alleviate any RCA signal distortion.

Multiple RCAs won't cause any issues, they are just signal outs, but if you do get a new head unit, that would be a simple way to tell if you have RF interference or RCA noise.
I meant that as in either way i might be getting a new head unit so i can amp all 4 of my 6x9s. AND still have a sub out as well, instead of a front and rear/sub. My bad.

Would you recommend to ground the RCAs only if I've blown that fuse? Where is that fuse?
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

(second post)

just did some more googling

LINK FOR REFERENCE
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...x-*56k*-75438/

Quote:

so what you're saying is to do what picture number one is in that link?
(you may not know the answers to the following because thats not your thread)
why are they grounded at 2 spots? Just to tighten the wire so it doesn't move?
i also noticed the left side is almost grounded to like, the box, whereas the right is more the frame of it. Does that location matter?

THEN after that you're saying to take the location that i grounded the RCAs at(or anywhere on the case) and ground that point at the frame. Would grounding that at the battery work?

And later on that site is says they're pico fuses, correct? So basically unless i want to rip apart my stereo and do some soldering, those fuses are not going to be replaced. So grounding the RCAs would be the best option.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

I have wires running on both sides, up and down, everywhere. I have 0 noise issues. What kind of Amp? What are your gains set to? Where is your amp grounded? For my grounds, I used a child tether bolt behind the rear seats. I removed the tether strap, scraped the paint down to bare metal, and grounded my amp + AudioControl LC6i there. I have 0 noise, and 0 turn on/off issues.

Also try grounding your RCAs as already mentioned. Some noise just won't go away. I had it once in an older car.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

i used to have zero noise. but it happened first when i put another set of 15s in my bed. We thought it was just the subs or something, cause it didnt happen to the one in the cab.

im grounding it at the battery. All the gains and stuff like that are set relatively good. I know PA audio stuff and thats basically what all that is.

i running an SPL Z2X-1600 with a JVC Headunit. not sure on the exact model.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

I'd run short ground to bare metal chassis. Along with your new subs came another amp, correct?