DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HIghbeams don't work

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
Just picked up this 09 Ram 1500 last week and the only feature I didn't test was the highbeams. Sure enough I am driving a country road and when I push the switch nothing happens. If I pull the lever, the highbeams comes on as expected.

The lowbeams stay on when the switch is activated. Any hints on where to start? I did check the fuses, and didn't find a burnt one.

I believe the truck had a trailer brake acutator on it prior to it being traded in. I am wondering if some connections were disconnected while removing it.

Any tips on connections to check would be great.

#2 ·
Sounds like all the wiring in in tack since the high beams do work when you pull back on the lever. I'm not sure if there is a relay that triggers that switch or if the lever itself is bad. I'm thinking one of those two are the culprit.

#3 ·
in your head lamp do you have 1 bulb or 2? not counting the blinker bulb.

#5 ·
electrical is not my strong point. however if i was in your position id pull the bulb out turn the high beam on and then using a test light or volt meter check to see if its even getting power. unlikely that both bulbs went out at the same time but ive been in situations were the most obvious is the problem. thats where id start. did you buy the truck private party or from a dealer? if its from a dealer they should fix it in good faith. also you could check under the dash and look for disconnected or cut wires. i have no idea what one to look for but who knows.

#6 ·
btw you have the 2 bulb per lamp set up :)

#7 ·
I checked fuses and reseated relays, etc. I also checked underneath the column to check for disconnected wires.

The dash highbeam light does not come on when pushing the stalk forward. It does illuminate when pulling the stalk for passing.

Unless I am missing something, to me it comes down to the multifunction switch or that the comuter is not getting the signal. I have decided if i want to replace the switch to gt that out of the way first. I plan on taking apart the column plasitics to get a better look and to reseat the multifunction switch connection.

My daughter works at a jeep chrysler dealer so I could probably get them to put it on the scanner to chekc the computer.

#8 ·
did you buy the truck from a dealership?

#9 ·
Yes , I did. I am going to try that route, but the sales guy has already been less than helpful in post sales support, which is a disappointment.

I'd rather fix stuff than argue about it but I would not have driven it off the lot had i tested this feature and fond the problem. And I am sure they would have fixed it. But it only came with a power train warranty.

#10 ·
still though since you just bought it they should fix it "in good faith"

#11 ·
Having a daughter that works for a Chrysler/Jeep dealer sure has its perks..

She picked up the Multifunction siwtch for me at a significant discount. I swapped it in and it corrected the problem. If it didn't work she would have returned it and then I would have known I had a bigger problem. But thankfully it is working now with only 10 minutes invested.

She also got me a kicking deal on Mopar Slush mats that look real good..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.