DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 4th Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
taylor2644 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear suspension problems unstable on hwy bumps

I have a 2009 1500 quad cab 4x4 hemi with 95,000 miles. The rear suspension on the hwy bounces all over when I hit bumps or go over bridges. It really doesn't feel like the shocks are bad as it drives fine on city streets. It's almost like it needs a bigger sway bar or pan hard bar is loose. Everything looks good and is tight. When I have weight in the bed it gets way worse! Is this a design problem with the new style coil suspension? Is there a good fix? I almost want to trade it in on a 2008 leaf spring truck.
Thanks for you help
Mike
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i have an 09 hemi ram id say it has more body roll then any other truck ive ever had but that is prob because of the 4 link rear suspension if im not mistaken. the shocks may need replacing. one thing that you could do is pull the shock off and see how hard it is to compress. taking it off and putting it back on should only take you 20 min. it should be pretty firm. i may not have the best answer but its the first thing i would do.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I agree. It's probably time for new rear shocks. Bilstein 4600 series and a Hellwig sway bar should help a lot.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

I have to echo the others. Sounds like a shock issue. With 95K on them shocks, presuming they are original, it's time to change them. Folks don't realize just how out of shape and wicked bad a vehicle can get when the shocks start to go.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

That and most people don't realize shocks are a wear-out item. they have a useful life. 100,000 miles is about it, less on larger vehicles like trucks.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road

TotalLoadControl air suspension should help too.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have 93,000 miles on my '09
it always has from 700 to 1068 pounds in the bed, with no one in the cab

I am definitely due for shocks & possibly brakes
just need a 1/2 day to get it done
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-08-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014
Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Look at the bushings on your control arms and panhard. If there is play anywhere, you'll be bouncing around any way it wants to go.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Mine will bounce around also when a heavy load is in there. I'd look at shocks as well.

Keep in mind this is sort of an annoyance of the suspension geometry though, the axle will shift slightly left to right during suspension travel. So when you hit a bumpt the vehicle is moving forward but the axle/body move left/right of each other. This gives you that weird swaying feeling. I actually was on the highway cruising slow around 65mph the other week and a ram pulling a trailer passed me at about 75mph and he hit a bump right next to me and I watched the body vs rear axle and could actually see it moving side to side. Hard to explain but it's just the geometry of it.

As armyofone said air bags should help stabilize it more too. I have the airlift 1000 kit on mine and it does help a lot.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Steel
Bill55AZ is on a distinguished road

Long time ago a mechanic told me to use higher air pressure when towing. Sidewalls can flex if air pressure is low, introducing wobble.
He and I hauled firewood a lot, and he would actually put on his "working" wheels and tires. The tires were stiffer from having a lot of plys in the sidewalls and higher pressure, but there was NO wobble.