DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
brains06 is on a distinguished road
Default New to me 4.7

Guys,

I just picked up an 08 big horn with the 4.7. Coming from a first gen Hemi I'm fairly impressed with this second gen "semi". I have a few questions about mods that I wanted to look into.
First mod will be either an intake or a high flow drop in. The stock intake box doesn't look too bad except for the corrugated tubing running from the box to the tb. Is a complete system really worth the money? Or can similar gains be gotten with a drop in and upgraded tubing?

Second mod will be a muffler. My question about this is similar to the intake question. We already have stainless steel exhaust. What's the real world benefit of going total cat back versus just changing the muffler and possibly routing the tailpipe differently?

Lastly, I'm considering a programmer. I had a hypertech for my hemi that worked pretty well. I've read that the 4.7 likes superchips and bully dog. Anybody have any advice regarding either?
Thanks for your help
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brains06 View Post
Guys,

I just picked up an 08 big horn with the 4.7. Coming from a first gen Hemi I'm fairly impressed with this second gen "semi". I have a few questions about mods that I wanted to look into.
the 08 ram would be a 3rd gen.

Quote:
First mod will be either an intake or a high flow drop in. The stock intake box doesn't look too bad except for the corrugated tubing running from the box to the tb. Is a complete system really worth the money? Or can similar gains be gotten with a drop in and upgraded tubing?

Gains? no gains to be had, unless you are looking for engine sound and wanting to mod your engine bay, maybe get a cone permanent Filter, sure, get a K&N or something but the air box on the Ram 08 is very efficient this is in part how they can pull in 310hp on that engine. Best bet if its for a permanent Filter, get a drop in. I have the k&N in mine and did it for the fun of modding and the permanent filter. Thats just me.

Quote:
Second mod will be a muffler. My question about this is similar to the intake question. We already have stainless steel exhaust. What's the real world benefit of going total cat back versus just changing the muffler and possibly routing the tailpipe differently?
If your thinking programmer, your providing a little bit more flow behind the engine, 90% of getting the muffler replaced will be for sound and exhaust tailpipe location for look.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm considering a programmer. I had a hypertech for my hemi that worked pretty well. I've read that the 4.7 likes superchips and bully dog. Anybody have any advice regarding either?
Thanks for your help
Since your truck ECU is an 08, you should look into the superchips. From what I have seen its the best product for 3rd gens, I have not seen much on the hypertech. BD I run on my 4.7 2012, and love it, but the 3rd gen 4.7 would get better performance with the superchips, also you might want to look at a catch can. JMO
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
the 08 ram would be a 3rd gen.
3rd gen Ram but I was referring to the second generation of the 4.7

Gains? no gains to be had, unless you are looking for engine sound and wanting to mod your engine bay, maybe get a cone permanent Filter, sure, get a K&N or something but the air box on the Ram 08 is very efficient this is in part how they can pull in 310hp on that engine. Best bet if its for a permanent Filter, get a drop in. I have the k&N in mine and did it for the fun of modding and the permanent filter. Thats just me.

I'm not looking for major improvements just an increase in throttle response. I had a drop in with my 03 Hemi and it made the throttle more responsive....and sounded cool too

If your thinking programmer, your providing a little bit more flow behind the engine, 90% of getting the muffler replaced will be for sound and exhaust tailpipe location for look.

Since your truck ECU is an 08, you should look into the superchips. From what I have seen its the best product for 3rd gens, I have not seen much on the hypertech. BD I run on my 4.7 2012, and love it, but the 3rd gen 4.7 would get better performance with the superchips, also you might want to look at a catch can. JMO
You're engine and mine are the same. Am I to assume the ECU programming is different?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're engine and mine are the same. Am I to assume the ECU programming is different?
correct, ECU on 4th Gen trucks is encrypted starting I think 2011
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM

By the way what is a catch can?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By the way what is a catch can?
A catch can catches the oil coming from the PCV valve that is being sucked back in to your intake and creating a mess. Let me look up the write up that Asur did... very awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Mostly used in Racing situations but not limited to, an oil catch can is used where excessive blow-by of air and fuel vapor occurs (including humidity). This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

Here is something I wrote on another thread about Catch can's and tuners.

"There does seem to be a lot of confusion on pretty much all the forums in regards to catch cans and what they do and why when one has a tune on there engine it is a wise idea to have a catch can ( if your engine can take one). Not only will it help keep your intake clean which is a good thing, but it will also help you burn your fuel cleaner.

So Here is some Information on What it is and why its a good Idea to have one with a tuner.

For anyone that does not know what a catch can is its a container that catches fumes and vapors from the valve assembly or crank case prior to being introduced back into the intake system for emissions purposes.

From what I have been gathering the main reason to install a catch can with a tuner is to catch the fumes and vapors and to prevent them from re-entering the intake system thus contaminating the Air/Fuel mixture Quality being used by the engine during its burn (also can help keep the intake cleaner than without one). The fumes and vapors that are re-introduced into the intake will carry oil, fuel vapor, and can also carry condensation from the valve assembly or crank case. These fumes reduce performance, longevity and can actually reduce the octane level in your combustion which in turn can steal fuel economy and could cause harmful detonation. There are many factors that can contribute to the detriment of Octane levels in a fuel being burned within an engine, some of these are air quality, humidity, age of the Gas used, Station mix ratio's and also Oxygen levels due to the level the truck is to the sea. Tuners modify the engine mapping, fuel delivery and other adjustments to try and extract the maximum power the engine can provide without it being detrimental to it, these adjustments can demand a very precise Fuel/air mixture, any contaminants introduced into the burn cycle can contribute to the Fuel mixture being less than adequate for the tune's new configuration of the engine. The Catch can will eliminate most contaminants from this process allowing for less or no contamination of the mixture being burned. People who install tuners can be in area's where one or many of these influences could create for an Octane mess which can then cause harmful detonation. Also Grime and sludge build up on the valves and cylinder head further make a mess of your engine over time so the catch can now catching these harmful vapors will help keep your engine cleaner and running better. Also I would like to point out, in my experience I have found that using a slightly Higher Octane fuel than that recommend by the Tuner company can alleviate many issues with engine detonation due to external influences on the Octane level of fuel used in said Vehicle.

I am in no way an engine engineer and don't consider myself one, over the years of racing and talking to these said people of knowledge the above information is an interpretation of what I have learned over the years as a Driver and vehicle user, the information is my opinion on said information and is to be taken as such. I don't condone nor sell these products. I do own 2 vehicles with Tuners and catch cans and have had them in all my race cars over the years. Please use this information for what it is, information."
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Hey!

I HIGHLY recommend the superchips for your truck. It adds 61HP and 66LBFT max gain on 93 octane, which is very high for a gas engine. There are other good tuners out there as well, but the SC is IMO the best choice for the 08+ 4.7L. Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting the advanced transmission tuning with the superchisp(extra $40). You can adjust torque management, and make your own shift schedules which makes a world of difference. I use the 87 tune daily(still adds 46HP and 51LBFT) and just bought the trans tuning and it's a whole different truck.

If there's anything bad about SC it's the software that you have to use on your computer/laptop to update the tuner. Once you get through that though it's easy.

Intakes and exhaust will help but probably won't be noticeable. I have an airaid drop in filter(the dry/oilless one) and it's great just for ease of cleaning alone. I replaced the ribbed tube/engine cover/resonator with the airaid tube as well(the older 4.7L one fits, even though it isn't listed for the later trucks), you just have to buy a rubber coupler to connect it to the TB. This really is mostly for looks. Replacing the entire exhaust is a waste of money like you were hinting at. The restrictive points are the manifolds(no options to fix this unless you make headers yourself), the crush pipe under the transmission, the y pipe merge, and the muffler.

I'm assuming you have the auto transmission and not the 6 speed?

A catch can is a good idea, will help keep the intake clean.

And he is correct above, SC does not support 2011+ trucks yet.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Wow that was great info about the catch can. Is that something I buy or build?

I guess Superchips is the way to go. I had a line on a used Bd for 250 that I was looking into which is why I was seriously considering it. They claim 30+hp but don't seem to be able to match SC.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Best to buy one already made, there are a few out there, you can look up Moroso or billet tech.

Also if you search the forum here (use the search feature up top) you can find lots of info on they makes, types, and even home made catch cans, I installed the Moroso and its great.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Wow that was great info about the catch can. Is that something I buy or build?

I guess Superchips is the way to go. I had a line on a used Bd for 250 that I was looking into which is why I was seriously considering it. They claim 30+hp but don't seem to be able to match SC.
Its rare on a gas engine for a tuner to give you that much hp from tuning, but the superchips is apparently the best and most effective at this, Most people will not even notice a 15-30hp gain on an engine especially when its already producing 300. but ya wish superchips had one for the 2012's but will need to run the BD till that happens.