DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about
Default Omni GLH. I'm so sorely tempted

Cruising the local classifieds and what do I see for sale? a 1986 GLH. Going to go look at just for the fun of it to see how beat it is.

For those not in the know - they were the tuner cars decades before tuners cane into being. I might go so far as to say that they were the evo or the STi of their day. Sorely tempted to pick it up and make it into a project car. Imagine what they could be with a modern turbo and underpinnings. I would love to embarass some of the ricers in town with a 30 year old beater.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Go for it!

They were bad ass cars for their day, provided that you can get passed the ugly factor LOL

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I always wanted a GLHS Dodge Charger. I owned a Charger 2.2 for about 4 years. When your in your early 20's, it seemed like a pretty cool car. I could run the crap out of that thing on the inter-state and still get 30 mpg.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM

anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

Went and looked at it last night. Sadly, it's suffered the typical fate of so many of the early chrysler turbos. It was left to spool down with the engine shut off too many times. the impeller and bearings are scorched. Granted, I was going to tear them all off anyway and put on a new system. While the body and interior are actually in pretty good shape considering the age, all the darn ground effects are in rough shape. It's sat in the direct sun long enough that it's got the typical chrysler paint failure and plastic warpage.

I talked to him a bit but he's not willing to go low enough to make it worth it for me for a project car.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Saw a conquest TSI in a not so local ad this morning.... pics look good. the wheel's are a turnin' once again. Drop a turbo V6 in there and things might get exciting

also found this:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...969307043.html

Now I was always a fan of the Grand Nationals. Still kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance. This guy's price is astronomical - but it gives me an idea for another sleeper 80's car project... only I'd do it with a turbo 3.8 for the homage aspect

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
Saw a conquest TSI in a not so local ad this morning.... pics look good. the wheel's are a turnin' once again. Drop a turbo V6 in there and things might get exciting

also found this:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...969307043.html

Now I was always a fan of the Grand Nationals. Still kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance. This guy's price is astronomical - but it gives me an idea for another sleeper 80's car project... only I'd do it with a turbo 3.8 for the homage aspect
Ugh, why would someone ruin a perfectly good blown 3800 by putting it in a Cavalier...?

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Ugh, why would someone ruin a perfectly good blown 3800 by putting it in a Cavalier...?

all other things aside I can see it for 3 reasons. Keep in mind - not all ideas are good ideas. Many likely start with "Here, hold my beer...."

1. The physical challenge - that's a tight fit

2. sleeper aspect. even a stock blown 3800 in a cavalier would have almost a 10# per hp advantage over the W bodys it was normally stuffed into

3. cavalier was the first car I bought outright with my own blood, sweat, and cash. Styling and 80's nastiness aside - Kinda got a soft spot guess.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
all other things aside I can see it for 3 reasons. Keep in mind - not all ideas are good ideas. Many likely start with "Here, hold my beer...."

1. The physical challenge - that's a tight fit

2. sleeper aspect. even a stock blown 3800 in a cavalier would have almost a 10# per hp advantage over the W bodys it was normally stuffed into

3. cavalier was the first car I bought outright with my own blood, sweat, and cash. Styling and 80's nastiness aside - Kinda got a soft spot guess.
Eh I guess. I took my driver's test in a 90 (I think, the rounder body) Cavalier because it was the smallest automatic car I could get my hands on to make it easy.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people